Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And lets never mention the retarded step children of the training industry again...
    BAM!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    What's the difference between a battle belt and a duty belt? Can you show me pics?
    A duty belt setup is what LEO wear on a daily basis. They attach to an under belt of some kind either by hook and loop or keepers. (Please ignore the awful looking basket weave pattern.)

A battle belt or "war belt" is generally a stand alone system that doesn't necessarily need an under belt to attach to, although there are states out there that do but I personally would loop them into the same category as a duty belt.

"Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Farva your duty gear is almost setup like mine but mine is non basket weave but much more beat up looking!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I vote for Vionex or PAWS. Buy it if you have to. Have you seen the portable UV autoclave lights? You can decon your cruiser of perp-bourne ick in 20 minutes!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farva View Post
    EAT, NOOB!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    For when I had to drag all that gear around for work, never quite had to use it. Eventually I dropped to pistol, couple of mags, couple of cuffs, spray and latex gloves. Cuffs and gloves got the most use.

The one time I HAD to defend myself, shorts and tshirt taking out the trash, pistol in the door. When I'm on the range, I use the stuff I carry every day. Couple of mags and pistol, jeans and T. I don't want to be at the local Wally parking lot reaching for my thigh or chest looking for something that ain't on my MMA t-shirt at the time.

I'll keep chest rigs/belts in the cupboard with the Twinkies.

I kid about the MMA part....and please don't take this as a shot on those that choose to run those things. It's just I've personally found that under stress, your muscles have memory and react accordingly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    These photos were taken off the internet. It was easier to do that the. Get shots of my own right now. I'll see if I can do that in the next day or so.
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    My mission now is to practice and get better at various skill sets. When it comes to strictly shooting I can do that but I want to learn more and varied exercises.

I am kind of torn about what exactly I want to hone but I guess I will share my theories. Right or wrong you're probably the right guy to lay it on.

My theory is that I should play the 'if' game as you talked about before. I actually do that from time to time.

If I come home (very rural area) and I see a car in the driveway and people in the house what am I going to do? Several years ago some burglars killed someone in just that scenario a few miles from here (if I remember correctly it was an older lady).

What if I am driving down the road and traffic gets stopped and there is some kind of crazy road rage incident in the middle of the street?

(I had that happen to me. A big black woman that looked like she could move furniture for a living was trying to beat my window in while I was stuck in traffic. I had a .45 and I didn't even have to pull it but she knew I meant business and it calmed her ass down and she stepped back)

What if there is a hurricane and people decide they are going to start looting? That's happened too although not right in my neighborhood. In addition to that after a big storm utilities were out for a week. Naturally crime spiked.

When a big hurricane was headed for Houston a massive evacuation had to move millions of people and it was sheer chaos. But it makes you wonder what would happen if people weren't so polite to each other in that situation?

I also saw a group of about 6 guys exit their cars and chase down a guy on a motorcycle while we were all stuck in traffic. Fortunately he got away but it happened so fast we were like WTF is going on? That was in the city (Houston) and to be honest there is no guarantee that at some point I might have to move back down into that chaos again.

Long story short in an effort to be self aware I sometimes go through mental drills playing the 'what if' game periodically through the day sometimes.

As for tactics I am of the mind that no one situation would have the same reaction. It might not be the best idea to run around or whatever. It might be better to find cover. In other situations it might be best to take it to em. If I was walking down the mall and someone tried to do what they did in the mall in Kenya what would I do? Find cover or attack?

There is no way I could be ready for every situation but a small gun is better than no gun. But other situations might be better to just put on a chest rig or a belt with some extra mags and take my AR. I just want to be able to use cover and learn more about that kind of thing so if the day ever comes I will be ready.
    reread this again, there are a lots of things that you are hitting on, but the main issue I see is a possible lack of confidence in implementing your current setup.

That's a good topic to cover...I think I want to write a little article on it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farva View Post
    Playing the "what if game" or "war gaming" as we call it is a good first step to being mentally prepared for s fight.
    I disagree. Strongly.

Playing the what-if game is what led to a guy with zero training starting a thread asking what plate carrier he should buy.

To the OP... I'll repeat what others have said and say go get in a class. And I'll contradict a lot of them and say that what class doesn't really matter. I don't care if it's Haley, Falla, Costa, whoever, just go take a class. And make it a pistol class. And focus on pistol gear, skills, and equipment. You are just flat not going to be using an AR is a defensive situation. If you got take a pistol class, do some competition shooting, achieve a Sharpshooter or B-rating in IDPA or USPSA, then you can go worry about the SHTFantasy of the day and stock up on plate carriers, blow out kits, suppressed SBRs, and whatever other LARPing equipment you think you might need. and take a carbine class. If the class you sign up for requires a chest rig or battle belt to carry the gear you need, you signed up for the wrong class.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm just planning on being a warlord when the shit goes down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I disagree. Strongly.

Playing the what-if game is what led to a guy with zero training starting a thread asking what plate carrier he should buy.
    Let me correct you on a couple of things... I didn't start out asking 'which plate carrier' in the context that you're trying to put it. I asked (at least I tried to ask) what is a good basic set up for me to carry extra mags so that my fun shooting can be more fun. So that after I empty a magazine I don't have to walk back to the truck to get another one.

Yes I do want to practice 'speed drills' or whatever, but I want something very basic to start with. It will be primarily for my own fun and to add another element to my own enjoyment of shooting. I want to start doing more than merely just standing there at 10 yards plinking on a steel plate. Yes it's kind of turned into other things here and that's fine as all those things are intertwined with each other. The insight is all very helpful.

I am shooting for fun 99% of the time. But I wanted to get several good options from people with experience with things. Will my hobby skills carry over? Yes absolutely. To me, standing there just trigger pulling is one thing, but putting up barrels in my back yard and shooting around barriers and moving around more while I shoot will be more fun. And of course it could come in handy should the .1% chance arise that I ever face a mob of looters or enter a 2 gun competition.

The basics though is more along the lines of 'which holster is best for my situation' only a little bit more complex since I plan to try and do other things. That could be me just having fun, that could be me entering a two or three gun competition, or it could be me going to multiple classes as they become available.

As for classes though I am not opposed to it by any stretch of the imagination. That said I will do my homework because I want to make sure the class is going to be something practical for my situation. Plus I have to save up to do that stuff.

At the end of the day class or no class I still kind of want a basic set up to work with. It doesn't have to be big or expensive, just effective for my needs.

Imagine if you had a person who just finished his concealed carry class and has a gun that fits him, but is wondering now 'which kind of holster is best for me to use for concealed carry'? Although in my situation I am past that and trying to do more than that and from a different angle.

There is no 100% right for everyone answer but there is some 'a lot more wrong' answers... the idea again is for me to get some ideas from people in the know that won't give me any bullshit answers that get what I am trying to go for and help me precisely to NOT be a mall ninja.

Again it's 95% fun and 5% the other stuff (for me) at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    There can be only one!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    reread this again, there are a lots of things that you are hitting on, but the main issue I see is a possible lack of confidence in implementing your current setup.

That's a good topic to cover...I think I want to write a little article on it...
    I look forward to reading whatever you write up... as always I am sure it will be excellent.

Shed some light though on what you mean by 'possible lack of confidence'... I mean yeah that's true in a sense...I wouldn't be here asking if I knew it all LOL!

I am pretty much at the phase of trying to transition myself from country boy with a gun to trying to learn more 'other stuff'...and I am prepare to shut up and listen to get there if that makes any sense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    HAAHAAA! LOL.

Good plan!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I look forward to reading whatever you write up... as always I am sure it will be excellent.

Shed some light though on what you mean by 'possible lack of confidence'... I mean yeah that's true in a sense...I wouldn't be here asking if I knew it all LOL!

I am pretty much at the phase of trying to transition myself from country boy with a gun to trying to learn more 'other stuff'...and I am prepare to shut up and listen to get there if that makes any sense.
    In my personal experience, as with anyone who carries a firearm or implements violence or trains to, there is always a confidence curve.

There are four stages of competence:

Confidence becomes evident when you can try to do something and are able to do it. For example shooting 10 rounds at 25 yards (shooting a 100 drill). Most people/shooters have not ever shot out to that distance and doing so will really make them not confident in their ability. But when you train, practice, and finally are able to do so well enough to meet the Conscious Competence level, then you start to gain confidence in your ability. Eventually the confidence level subsides and you gain mastery over that particular skill set. Confidence is eventually replaced by applicable advanced knowledge of a skill set. Think back when you were in high school and the Pythagorean theorem kicked your ass. By the end of the class you did it without even thinking about it. Shooting, tactics and the art of violence is no different.