Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Old vs New-er MBUS

Might anyone know if the "newer version" of the MagPul MBUS sight (soon to be released) will be offered with a stock sight (metal) aperture? Will the sight apertures be interchangeable? (Noticed that the "Old" original prototype had stock metal apertures, while the "New" releases have polymer apertures.)
    Would like to utilize a tritium 1/2 sight in the MBUS sight body.
    Thank you for your input and insight. (No pun intended.)
    Last edited by lshapes; 4 March 2009 at 22:39. Reason: spelling

Downloads
    Uploads
    The MBUS is coming with a standard metal FSP for the front, and polymer apertures for the rear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I realize that these were/are not intended as replacements for the traditional steel/aluminum BUIS, but I suppose my question at this point is this: if these MBUS units prove to be as durable as we suspect that they will be, then why wouldn't they be perfectly-viable replacements for traditional BUIS?

We keep coming back to this notion that the primary argument in favor of the MBUS is one of cost, but that aside, might the MBUS not ultimately beat the others at their own game? It's a next generation design, and (presumably) made of the same stuff that catapaulted the PMAG to the head of the magazine market, so it actually seems like a pretty logical first-up selection in many ways.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though we know the PMAG is very durable and strong, but it's still breakable. For example I broke the cover of one of my PMAGs (Magpul is sending me a replacement :) )

So I don't know how well this will do in the real world environment. There are some section of the BUIS that are thinner which makes it more likely it could break in those locations if stressed out enough from abuse. It would seem to me that Magpul's BUIS would snap apart if abused, but metal BUIS would bend and still be usable. IMHO

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ryo,

I went down much the same path, logic-wise, but I guess I just didn't reach quite the same conclusion: would a bent metal BUIS really be any more useful than a broken polymer one, considering that since neither could be relied upon to direct rounds to point of aim?

I suppose it is largely a question of degree of damage, but my point is/was simply that nothing is indestructable, and given the role of a BUIS, the MBUS is probably just as worthy a choice as any other folder. I don't have a set on hand to base that on, but the early reports are that these things are surprisingly robust.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your replies & opinions

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for your replies & opinions.
    Stick, I had noticed that the original rear prototype had a metal aperture.
    (You mention that the released sight will have a polymer aperture. Could I remove the new polymer aperture & replace with a stock metal AR-15 rear sight?)
    Thank you agin for your responses and opinions.
    Aloha,
    lshapes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lshapes View Post
    Could I remove the new polymer aperture & replace with a stock metal AR-15 rear sight?)

lshapes

In theory, it would be possible, I'm not sure how the practical application would pan out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Metal, polymer,plastic BUIS it won't matter give it to a soldier, cop, shooter, over time it will break. Once saw a broken sight on an A2 rifle. Now performing mods I am not sure about as your playing with the design integrity.

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum
    Colt M16 Armorer, Colt 1911 Armorer, Glock Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Metal, polymer,plastic BUIS it won't matter give it to a soldier, cop, shooter, over time it will break. Once saw a broken sight on an A2 rifle.

Dutch

... and no one knew how it happened, or admitted they were there?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    In theory, it would be possible, I'm not sure how the practical application would pan out.
    I would think they would keep it interchangable.. Just for the fact some people want to replace it for glowing sights like Trijicon Tritium sights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    Even though we know the PMAG is very durable and strong, but it's still breakable. For example I broke the cover of one of my PMAGs (Magpul is sending me a replacement :) )

So I don't know how well this will do in the real world environment. There are some section of the BUIS that are thinner which makes it more likely it could break in those locations if stressed out enough from abuse. It would seem to me that Magpul's BUIS would snap apart if abused, but metal BUIS would bend and still be usable. IMHO
    Everything is breakable but the sttresses that the PMAG can take are far greater than any USGI mag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After reading about the Kaboom on BARFCOM in which the PMAG just exploded, I think that may be a problem. Although Kabooms are very rare, so is a pick-up truck repeatedly running over my USGI Mag.

Generally when a Kaboom happens with a USGI mag, the floor plate just blows out. So each mag has its strengths and negatives.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the MBUS I dont think for me there will be any durability problems as i dont run with the sights up and cowitness all of the time. The odds IMHO of them not holding up how I use them I think are pretty small. Also there have been many reports of high end(not a WEVO advertiser) metal ones just exploding with parts all over a few times and I have seen this once.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for your responses & opinions.
    Just like Ryo indicated, I was thinking of substituting a tritium sight set in place of the front & rear apertures.
    I'm already in posession of an older meprolight set that features a 1/2 sight (top half of sight cut off) the rear sight to provide a wider field of view.
    Just need to have the tritium's in there for low light conditions.
    Aloha,
    lshapes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lshapes View Post
    Thank you for your responses & opinions.
    Just like Ryo indicated, I was thinking of substituting a tritium sight set in place of the front & rear apertures.
    I'm already in posession of an older meprolight set that features a 1/2 sight (top half of sight cut off) the rear sight to provide a wider field of view.
    Just need to have the tritium's in there for low light conditions.
    Aloha,
    lshapes
    For an AR, all you really need is the front night sight.