Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    From the pics you can see contact points and wear points. My other BCG (same brand same style) doesn't look like that. But again I don't shoot that other gun not even nearly as hard as I do this one.

Both sides of the gas key are wearing as well as other points...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep shooting and just replace what breaks, if something breaks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you do a coat of oil in the upper as well?
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Do you do a coat of oil in the upper as well?
    Oh yes. I lube that sucker like crazy. The very first time I shot it I didn't do it enough, but every other time I have probably over done it.

I am thinking that I basically just need to keep on shooting the hell out of it until the surfaces all mate together better.

The only thing that I can complain about per se is that from time to time when that BCG hits a snag and has drag on it for whatever reason it won't go back into full battery. At which time I will have to stop, drop the mag, recharge... or whatever.... my upper doesn't have a forward assist on it but in this case I kind of wish it did. I would have been using the hell of out of it so far...

Well maybe not using the hell out of it but it would have saved me a minute of hassle on a few occasions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, like most have said just keep running it. It will eventually smooth out. Try another cam pin and see if that helps. I have been utterly opposed to uppers without an FA and your situation just solidifies my stance. Had that been a life or death stuation the outcome could have been catastrophic. Is it possible your ammo is under powered? Try some hotter 556 loads. What weight buffer are you using?
    Last edited by Stone; 28 February 2016 at 19:20.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Yep, like most have said just keep running it. It will eventually smooth out. Try another cam pin and see if that helps. I have been utterly opposed to uppers without an FA and your situation just solidifies my stance. Is it possible your ammo is under powered? Try some hotter 556 loads. What weight buffer are you using?
    I am using reloads for my ammo but I might go buy some store bought stuff to see if that makes a difference. It's very possible that it's under powered some. If it is it's not by much.

I don't know what weight buffer I am using. I am using a standard one I guess. I have always wondered about that though. I have heard other people talk about it but I have absolutely no experience with it or what it would do.

As for the FA...on my other rifle it also doesn't have one and I have yet to need it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went just now and shot 60 rounds and I think I have found the culprit on the failure to go to full battery. It happened a couple of times and after each time I ejected that shell and inspected it. Out if 60 rounds it happened twice.

Somebody gave me a bunch of brass that got mixed in with my regular brass... Apparently the brass is cheap, soft, has thin walls or whatever...but when the bolt would come forward it would pick up a case and as it made the trip up and into the chamber it was actually bending the brass over some, enough to cause it to not be anywhere near in spec to where it wouldn't all the way chamber.

Right at the shoulder of the case that leads up to the neck it was slightly bent over. I had some old lake city brass that I reloaded and I ran that and not a problem. Even the spent cases were not bent up.

99% sure it is not a gun problem but rather an ammo issue related to cheap brass.

I don't have a lot of it and most of it has been shot I don't know how many times so I will throw it all out and get something that is better. I have about 3000 same head stamped new and unfired Lake City brass that will work just fine in a pinch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another possible problem is that I have all my dies set up to reload my good 69gr ammo. Recently I bought 1000 55gr projectiles and I loaded those without changing anything. It is very possible that I am not seating the bullets deep enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope. Problem still not solved. Shot a mag and had one slightly bent case still.

I didn't keep it to take pictures but I googled a bit and found some that look sort of like mine. I still think it's the ammo not the gun but I could be wrong.

There are basically two things that are happening and it's not even happening with every round.

The first is the brass is bent so that it is slightly misshaped.

The image below is NOT MINE but it shows kind of what is happening although mine is not that bad.

Every now and again I am getting a case that gets 'bound up' and slightly bent which is causing the problem. It's not every time... I shot 90 rounds and it happened exactly 3 times.

I tried seating my bullets deeper on the last mag and that did seem to help some but this still happened.

The other thing that I see is that maybe the bolt is ever so slightly dragging on the cases so it's causing slight scratching on the body of the cases.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What brass?

Even at that it would have to be very brittle or the like but still not where I would look.

Seating depth would change slightly I'm thinking, I know I have to reset my dies when going from heavies to like 55's

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you run it with new factory ammo?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    What brass?

Even at that it would have to be very brittle or the like but still not where I would look.

Seating depth would change slightly I'm thinking, I know I have to reset my dies when going from heavies to like 55's
    I didn't save any of that brass (since it's only 1/30)...I don't know for sure that it is the brass now.

I did try changing the seating depth but at the end of the day the problem persists. Either the gun is cycling too fast or too slow which could possibly be any number of things. I am really not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Have you run it with new factory ammo?
    I have but it's been a while. I will go buy some factory stuff and see if it goes away with that or not. I've probably shot 3 or 400 factory rounds through it. probably more than that. I don't really recall any problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Had a Noveske that did that.
    I THINK! what was wrong with the part where it bent rounds, was the feed-lips had super sharp angles, and were shaving/digging into the brass and arresting forward movement, and acting as a fulcrum that bent the round.

It had a ton of other issues and Noveske just refunded me, minus the tax stamp, and I motored on. Never will know what ACTUALLY caused that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Another possible problem is that I have all my dies set up to reload my good 69gr ammo. Recently I bought 1000 55gr projectiles and I loaded those without changing anything. It is very possible that I am not seating the bullets deep enough.
    You didn't check the OAL during and after loading the first round?