Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh it's definitely time, need to find the time unfortunately.

I'm definitely going this weekend. Just hoping it's not a 1.5 hour wait for range time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Took some time off work yesterday to go shoot.

Nice in the middle of the day. No one on the range. This isn't a range I normally go to and they forced me to use their ammo, which is BS. But whatever.

20160316_141857 by Derrick Tackett, on Flickr

20160316_143628 by Derrick Tackett, on Flickr

Nice when no one is on range. Quite nice haha.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Almost looks like some of those rounds are key-holing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    I was going to say the same, but it's the .45 holes... What's up OP? What's with the weird tears in the paper?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    He had texted me this and I wondered the same thing. The top of all the strange holes look like a typical hit just the lower portion has an extra hole that is more square.

I was wondering if the .223 was key holing or tumbling but it's such a strange hole pattern. I figure the strange ones are from the .45 as you can see the smaller hole from the .223 in the target. I wouldn't figure a new 1911 would tumble, may just be the paper tears strange on impact.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That does not look like just the paper, have seen my own test loads do that on a batch of 200 gr fp's I got somewhere,damn things keyholed everytime, switched bullets and it didn't do it anymore. Was also on one of my old SR's..Humm

Curious, What ammo?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not entirely sure what's causing it. Kind of the downside of shooting multiple cartridges into a single target.

It was independence 55gr, it was extremely dirty. I only put 60 rounds through it, I was forced to buy overpriced range ammo.

The 45 ammo was American Eagle 230grain, it was what I brought with.

The paper was moving a good bit.

I'm going to clean both weapons this weekend and go over them and see if I notice anything being weird.

I don't know to be honest. I'm still a pretty novice shooter, so diagnosing this stuff is difficult for me.

That being said. I'm going to clean both. Take them separately and see if it happens again and go from there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you were shooting AE 230gr, my guess is that the paper was blowing forward or backward when you were shooting the .45. Since the paper isn't perpendicular to the impacts, it was probably tearing the paper as the round went through.

What I can't figure out is why it wasn't doing that with the 5.56. Either way, the dirtiness of your weapons wasn't causing it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    If you were shooting AE 230gr, my guess is that the paper was blowing forward or backward when you were shooting the .45. Since the paper isn't perpendicular to the impacts, it was probably tearing the paper as the round went through.

What I can't figure out is why it wasn't doing that with the 5.56. Either way, the dirtiness of your weapons wasn't causing it.
    So forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Would keyholing due to a weapon being dirty look different? Or would it be more consistent?

Downloads
    Uploads
    True keyholing is almost always a shot out barrel. Those look odd though. Some have the entry hole in the middle and the tears are squared on both sides. Looks more like a loose target tearing than a keyhole.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
    So forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Would keyholing due to a weapon being dirty look different? Or would it be more consistent?
    As Sinner is pointing out, key holing isn't caused by a dirty barrel, but by the barrel no longer stabilizing the bullet as it travels through the barrel. Contrary to internet myth, a dirty barrel has zero effect on a bullet until after a large number of rounds. How many until it's affected? There's years of google searches to answer that (though I'd argue more than you'd probably need to worry about).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    True keyholing is almost always a shot out barrel. Those look odd though. Some have the entry hole in the middle and the tears are squared on both sides. Looks more like a loose target tearing than a keyhole.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    As Sinner is pointing out, key holing isn't caused by a dirty barrel, but by the barrel no longer stabilizing the bullet as it travels through the barrel. Contrary to internet myth, a dirty barrel has zero effect on a bullet until after a large number of rounds. How many until it's affected? There's years of google searches to answer that (though I'd argue more than you'd probably need to worry about).
    So basically what you're saying is you think it's due to the target waving and not my AR or 1911?

I shouldn't worry about it, that works for me haha.