Downloads
    Uploads

Aletheia Defense EMMR Review

I was given an EMMR as some bonus swag from Althea Defense, and just recently dropped it on to one of my rifles. There are a lot of extended mag releases out there, so the more the merrier, as long as they differentiate themselves from the others.
    Like most enhanced or extended mag releases, this is a two parter.

At first glance, you don't notice the dovetail in the construction, and when the set screw is removed, it slides out smoothly. For reinstallation it has a nice tight fit, so I don't think you will see this part accidentally falling off your rifle. And naturally it comes with a set screw and an 1/16" allen wrench.

It's pretty simple to install, making sure the set screw is at the top, just keep spinning the catch until the post is almost to the top. Slide the paddle on, and install the set screw. The paddle itself is .65" long and doesn't extend below the button bottom. If you like the design of this paddle, you are good to go. If you feel the need for another design, you can swap it out with paddles from Rainier Arms and Battle Arms.

I'm pretty ambivalent when it comes extended releases. For me, I can hit a standard button just as well an extended button, and I don't like the extra play you get with them (all the ones I've used has this lateral play). But this if you like or need this feature, this would make a fine addition to any rifle. My only concern is that it only comes with one screw. So you'll probably want to Loctite the screw to the base. If it came with two, that would be helpful since I highly doubt you'd be able to pick up a replacement locally.
    Last edited by cjd3; 4 March 2016 at 23:15.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the review and photos. I too have no issues with a standard release and have a hard time justifying installation of an aftermarket part that offers me no benefit. Good call on the Loctite, since it's just a matter of time until the tiny setscrew backs out and departs.