Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

First 300 blackout build, question about brass and buffer

Finally got motivated and got the 300 bo together, first time playing with this cartridge and am curious on how my brass Looks and leads to buffer question

16" BHW Carbine gas 300 barrel just plan on supers for now, anyways took a quick drive and wanted to test it out, fired a few different factory loads and used a lancer and Troy mag without issues, locked the bolt back everytime.

Upon looking the brass seems dented pretty good on the necks, everyone , I reload and understand the 556 cases get this from the shell deflector.

It is hitting the deflector, maybe to hard? Only had a carbine buffer on me and normal carbine spring,

Is this normal per say for the shorter cartridge? Or overgasssd some and should bring s H buffer to try next?

Anyways some quick pics

Any input? Something or just shoot it?

Downloads
    Uploads

First 300 blackout build, question about brass and buffer

Normal from what I've seen as the shorter brass is able to complete a full turn and hits the deflecter "better" causing more mouth deformity. As long as brass is ejecting probably just shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Normal from what I've seen as the shorter brass is able to complete a full turn and hits the deflecter "better" causing more mouth deformity. As long as brass is ejecting probably just shoot it.

Thanks bud, just my first dip into the BO.
    Totally makes sense as the shorter case, all rounds ejected in a good pile about 7-10 foot to the 3-4 o'clock

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is normal for 300 BLK. FWIW, my Noveske gen 2 factory rifle came with pistol gas, H2 buffer and also dents the mouth.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I had my 300 all my brass was deformed more than my 556. My 277 is in between the two. As much as UW may hate it I still like it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sweet! You get 'er running - awesome. Mine gets dinged too, but one thing I found on my buddy's 300BLK is that his was more dinged than my brass (we were both using the same supers) as his system was slightly overgassed. I tuned mine with the adj block, but he did not have one. We tried the next buffer and it improved some. His brass ejected more grouped and not as forward and the dings lessened. I'd say if you have another buffer, give it a whirl - it can't hurt. The worst that will happen is it won't run as good and you go back. if you don't already have a buffer... run with it, it's not that bad. The dinged brass is one of the reasons I anneal.

EDIT: just read your other post where it's ejecting normal 3-4 position... looks like you're about as normal as you can be. Considering...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you're good to go. My 300BLK brass, subs and supers, looks just like that out of both a Noveske 10.5" upper and a BCM 9" upper using an H2 buffer.

Now you need to get a can!
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    This is normal for 300 BLK. FWIW, my Noveske gen 2 factory rifle came with pistol gas, H2 buffer and also dents the mouth.
    H2 huh, assuming shorter barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    When I had my 300 all my brass was deformed more than my 556. My 277 is in between the two. As much as UW may hate it I still like it.
    Haha...I have one part from mdws -277 dude/ picked up one of them NIB 158 bolts and running it in this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    I think you're good to go. My 300BLK brass, subs and supers, looks just like that out of both a Noveske 10.5" upper and a BCM 9" upper using an H2 buffer.

Now you need to get a can!
    Thanks for the reply, I pretty much felt it was normal ish given the shorter cartridge etc, but was just curious, I have no one with a blackout so nothing to compare to- real world.

Yes I do need-want a can, things have just not went my way the last year or 2 and plans changed, did pick up a few guns for hosts and the bo idea was originally for a short barrel-pistol or 2 stamper-SBR

But I wouldn't be opposed to a "go fund me" the wevo ginger a can page........anyways..thanks guys..
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 6 March 2016 at 04:08.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    Sweet! You get 'er running - awesome. Mine gets dinged too, but one thing I found on my buddy's 300BLK is that his was more dinged than my brass (we were both using the same supers) as his system was slightly overgassed. I tuned mine with the adj block, but he did not have one. We tried the next buffer and it improved some. His brass ejected more grouped and not as forward and the dings lessened. I'd say if you have another buffer, give it a whirl - it can't hurt. The worst that will happen is it won't run as good and you go back. if you don't already have a buffer... run with it, it's not that bad. The dinged brass is one of the reasons I anneal.

EDIT: just read your other post where it's ejecting normal 3-4 position... looks like you're about as normal as you can be. Considering...
    Haha... yes finally running , only forever later huh...BABC had a color change though it turned black and receivers turned silver....

I will steal a H buffer from a different gun and bring it up next time and see if any change and if it still locks back etc...thanks Jim...wevo ginger normal ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    H2 huh, assuming shorter barrel
    No, 16". AFAIK, Noveske used the same recipe for 16" and shorter.

-john

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're good to go.

Since the Blackout case is 10mm shorter than a 5.56 case, when the case ejects, it ejects earlier in the carrier's travel. Unless it just dribbles out of the ejection port, it's going to hit the brass deflector on the case mouth, instead of near the shoulder with 5.56 cases.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Glock Certified Armorer
    AR15 Certified Armorer
    M1911 Certified Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    NBCOT Certified OTR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Finally got motivated and got the 300 bo together, first time playing with this cartridge and am curious on how my brass Looks and leads to buffer question

16" BHW Carbine gas 300 barrel just plan on supers for now, anyways took a quick drive and wanted to test it out, fired a few different factory loads and used a lancer and Troy mag without issues, locked the bolt back everytime.

Upon looking the brass seems dented pretty good on the necks, everyone , I reload and understand the 556 cases get this from the shell deflector.

It is hitting the deflector, maybe to hard? Only had a carbine buffer on me and normal carbine spring,

Is this normal per say for the shorter cartridge? Or overgasssd some and should bring s H buffer to try next?

Anyways some quick pics

Any input? Something or just shoot it?
    I don't think it's a problem, although I'm not seeing that with my .300 BLK SBR. The thing is, everything should be pretty much equal, given the pistol gas system on both rifles. You're obviously getting more velocity at the muzzle for your 4.5" of extra barrel over my rifle, which increases "Dwell Time" or the amount of gas available to push the bolt back in it's channel. Blackout is reputedly tolerant of all manner of size and velocity of ammunition and barrel length is said to cause a neligible change in gas pressure due to the consistency of the gas system. You could always try your bolt in a .223/5.56 rifle to see if you are getting the same results in order to narrow it down to an ejection event that's causing this. I highly doubt the flat spots are from the casing barely making it out of the way in time, narrowly avoiding a stove-pipe, but it could be possible. Below are some casings from my rifle, taken from 4 different outings. The ammunition is 147 gr Freedom Ammunition of new manufacture. The casings are obviously annealed as well; something I've found more common on 5.56 than .223 ammo. So there are a couple fo differences, but still nothing I'd consider powerful enough to affect ejection. I'd maybe color around the ejection port and on the inside of the receiver near the port with a sharpie (or some black, dissovable paint, nail polish, whatever) if you are really interested in finding out where the strike occurs; paint on the casings would correspond to scuff marks in or on the ejection port.

147 gr SS, 300 BLK:

Well, hell... I guess I'm the odd man out.
    Last edited by Joelski; 6 March 2016 at 15:06.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally normal with 300 BLK brass. If it bothers you put a little piece of adhesive backed loop-side velcro on the shell deflector.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot thousands of rounds of 300blk, suppressed and non,many almost every case was dented like that.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Joelski- thanks for the info, I'm all good just was somethin new, as I said first BO rifle,
    I'm using a std whatever-whoever carbine spring and carbine buffer, no extra heavy's to try but gonna borrow a H out of a different and see for shits and giggles any difference and if it still operates, functions fine and locks bolt etc..

Also carbine gas barrel and std gas block

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    No, 16". AFAIK, Noveske used the same recipe for 16" and shorter.

Huh, interesting , thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OTShooter View Post
    You're good to go.

Since the Blackout case is 10mm shorter than a 5.56 case, when the case ejects, it ejects earlier in the carrier's travel. Unless it just dribbles out of the ejection port, it's going to hit the brass deflector on the case mouth, instead of near the shoulder with 5.56 cases.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    Totally normal with 300 BLK brass. If it bothers you put a little piece of adhesive backed loop-side velcro on the shell deflector.
    Googling around found people doing the same as concerns of making the Necks weaker and more vulnerable to splitting especially if not annealing..(which I want to touch on in another thread for the bo)