Thread: used glock mags

Downloads
    Uploads

used glock mags

When you guys get a used gun, what do you do with the mags that come with it? Dedicate them to range use only? Replace the springs and use it like new? run a few cycles of ammo through it and see if it's good to go?

the problem i have is that i have 1 glock 19 mag that came with a gen 2. i have no clue how much the mag was or was not used. I accidentally mixed it in with my other glock mags. Luckily most of them are gen 4 compatible mags but the older one and the two that came with my gen 3 g19 all have vickers/tangodown floor plates on them now and i don't know which is which. Im debating just ordering 3 mag rebuild kits since I'm not sure how to tell them apart.

thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it works, why mess with it?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I keep my training mags and my "go-to" mags separated, then toss mags in the garbage or rebuild them when needed. In your case, if you want to do it, no harm in swapping out springs to make sure you are confident in those mags.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I keep my training mags and my "go-to" mags separated, then toss mags in the garbage or rebuild them when needed. In your case, if you want to do it, no harm in swapping out springs to make sure you are confident in those mags.
    I'll ask you the question. What differentiates "training" from "go-to" mags? What metric do you use? Age? Help me here because to me, a spring wither works and feeds or doesn't and you have FTF's. What is the known, good lifespan for a mag spring, particularly Glock? Not being a dick, I'm trying to learn something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I'll ask you the question. What differentiates "training" from "go-to" mags? What metric do you use? Age? Help me here because to me, a spring wither works and feeds or doesn't and you have FTF's. What is the known, good lifespan for a mag spring, particularly Glock? Not being a dick, I'm trying to learn something.
    Good question, I don't know the answer to that, as far as how long does a Glock Spring last. I have mags that are basically relegated to "range use" Those are magazines that's I've dropped free on concrete, been stepped on, and are generally more than 3-4 years old.

My Duty/Go To Mags are tested out 3-4 times a year when I qual. So that's my own personal metrics. You can use whatever works for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just curious. I've truthfully never given much thought to the subject. We're told to "listen to your gut" about a lot of things, and as you'd agree, that's never wrong. Just never had the thought cross my mind for average mags that don't show signs of a rough life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is my 2 cents... and how I do mine for what it's worth. I do see wisdom in how UW does his too. Then again I don't own a Glock and I don't have to worry about it as much as him. If my mags stop working I just go get another and that's it.

I have my mags for pretty much everything that I use for plinking and playing and everyday use or whatever that I use over and over for that. Then I have my 'new' mags that only get used some, every now and again to ensure proper function.

I had mags that I left fully loaded for I don't know how long. Stuck in a drawer fully loaded for several years and not a problem one. I even saw one place where a guy found a bunch of packed up WWII guns and fully loaded mags that he bought... and as a test he fired that ammo that was in the mags and those worked well in all kinds of tests.

While yes the springs might be crappy to some degree now but I think the real danger is dropping them, bending them, busting the plastic or whatever. I imagine of you bust em up and drop them and treat them badly they probably won't last very long. Aside from that I would guess a mag would last a while.

That said there is nothing wrong with having a number of mags for each gun you own. In fact I personally get at least 5 or 6 for every gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a reminder that a constant load on the mag springs (actually all springs) isn't really what wears them out, it's the compression/decompression cycles that do. In a used gun, I would be inclined to either set them aside for range use, or drop in new springs if they are otherwise in good shape. Worn springs can induce feeding issues and failure to engage the slide stop.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to replace mag springs on used guns. It's cheap insurance for a critical part of the system. For range toys, plinkers, etc. I'm not as diligent, but anything I carry is going to have a recent factory or brand new quality aftermarket spring in the mag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a side note, for me, Glock Mags are easy, as I use PMags/ETS for training, and factory Glock mags for duty. Easy to keep them separated, and I also don't mind beating up the ETS/PMags as they are cheaper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Just a reminder that a constant load on the mag springs (actually all springs) isn't really what wears them out, it's the compression/decompression cycles that do. In a used gun, I would be inclined to either set them aside for range use, or drop in new springs if they are otherwise in good shape. Worn springs can induce feeding issues and failure to engage the slide stop.
    Agreed, although this is assuming there was nothing wrong with the spring/magazine from the beginning. In Iraq, we were issued older Check Mate magazines for the Beretta M9s, and something to do with the coating on the metal, combined with the sand/heat/etc caused the springs to basically turn into a limp noodle. Rounds would basically fall out of the mag if held upside down. Something you didn't trust your life to. We either had mags sent from home or searched for Mec Gar M9 mags.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    In a side note, for me, Glock Mags are easy, as I use PMags/ETS for training, and factory Glock mags for duty. Easy to keep them separated, and I also don't mind beating up the ETS/PMags as they are cheaper.
    Same here. I think we discussed this when the Glock PMag first came out; I stick with Glock OEM mags for carry and use anything else for training.

I just rotated my EDC mags out, took the ones I was using apart for cleaning and stretched the springs out. It is weird to me how just sitting in there compressed can make the spring twist/bend out of shape.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll run mags in whatever condition I get them in, until they start to produce failures. When it looks like they are producing failures I'll remove it from carry consideration and keep an eye on it. If the mag reliably produces failures it will get rebuilt but stay out of the carry rotation.

I'll also keep a few mags that I know will reliably cause failures and I mix those into drills with the intention of causing "random" failures.

I also have mags that I baby, and those are my carry mags.

My first handgun was a 1911 and I learned very quickly to mark and monitor my mags. Every new mag that comes into the rotation gets a unique number so I can always identify it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    I'll run mags in whatever condition I get them in, until they start to produce failures. When it looks like they are producing failures I'll remove it from carry consideration and keep an eye on it. If the mag reliably produces failures it will get rebuilt but stay out of the carry rotation.

I'll also keep a few mags that I know will reliably cause failures and I mix those into drills with the intention of causing "random" failures.

I also have mags that I baby, and those are my carry mags.

My first handgun was a 1911 and I learned very quickly to mark and monitor my mags. Every new mag that comes into the rotation gets a unique number so I can always identify it.
    thanks for the replies guys. I suppose ill just use all 3 gen 3 mags for range use only until i can sort it out.