Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Throwing out Frog Lube

This will be the 4th firearm that Frog Lube has been the cause of consistent malfunctions. So I had built 2 16" AR's. I thought the wife might actually shoot it, but she doesn't seem to care that much. So I took all the good parts and transfered them to one rifle, figure I would sell the other to fund a can for the 300BLK. I didn't swap that much, the muzzle device, BAD-ASS levers. Nothing I thought would effect function. I take it out to shoot, FTE. The brass would hover better getting T-Boned by the bolt, or it not even clearing the port. If I had a wingman, I would have had them use the hi-speed function on the iPhone to take a look. Given I couldnt seem to manage it myself, I assumed the bolt was not cycling fully.

Well I had JP silent captured spring. So I end the range day, put in a normal carbine spring and buffer.
    Next weekend same problem. Inspect ammo. Out of 250 rounds I bought, 117 had cracks on the neck of the brass. Crap, shitty ammo.
    I order new ammo. Found a good deal on 75gr, I got Noveske 1/7 barrels. Sweet.
    Yesterday, same fucking problem. But the 75gr shot great, well for me. 1.5MOA @ 100yds.
    So today I took up a different buffer, and a Mil-Spec BCG. I have a Rainier Arms NiB in it.
    Turns out swapping the BCG fixes the problem. I finally get to shoot the 8" gong and stand I bought.

So I get home, take apart the bolt to see WTF. And answer is.... ejector is gummed up. What lube am I still using cause I was a dumb ass and bought the big bottle and I can't just throw it out? Frog Lube.

Yeah yeah, I know people swear by it. But heres the problem. You have to wipe ALL of it off. Every single little bit of excess. If you don't this crap will get into everything, and if you don't get to shoot a whole lot, it gums up.

The wife is probably having a heart attack with my Q-Tip and pipe cleaner budget. I don't spray it on, I just wet a Q-tip. I make damn sure I get whatever excess I can.

So far my Arsenal AK failed because the FL gummed up on the twisted springs. My FNX-T failed when it gummed up the hammer. Its gummed up my Stevens .22, and I have been spraying that down with PB blaster for months. It still won't cycle right and you can feel the action is squishy. And now it dicked up an AR ejector enough that it couldn't actually eject brass.

In the trash. Gonna make me some Ed's Red or some version of it. The wife will miss the smell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WeaponShield. Never jumped on the FrogWagon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some ATF fluid, some motor oil, and a touch of Sea Foam. That's my plan.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had nothing but positive experiences with Weapon Shield as well. I'm not a Frog Lube defender, but there are a couple of things that I have noticed: It does not play well with other lubes or solvents, so totally de-grease prior to use. It takes a small amount of product to do it's thing and the excess should be wiped off. I know that several people at work have ditched FL and gone back to more conventional lubes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started using Frog Lube because of this test. http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ditched my Froglube, too. I haven't heard any first-person reports on the new Froglube "Extreme" that's supposed to address the problems people were having with the original formulation, but I've noticed a lot of places have the original on clearance. I've had pretty good luck with Fireclean in my ARs, you just have to get any old lube all the way off before you use it, and I did have it gum up the hammer and slide on one of my 1911s, so I switched back to EWL for my pistols.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got some Lucas Oil gun lube and it seems to work pretty decent. Doesn't smoke or burn off fast, doesn't get tacky like the frog stuff. Red like tranny fluid, not sure if there's any other secret stuff.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    I ditched my Froglube, too. I haven't heard any first-person reports on the new Froglube "Extreme" that's supposed to address the problems people were having with the original formulation, but I've noticed a lot of places have the original on clearance. I've had pretty good luck with Fireclean in my ARs, you just have to get any old lube all the way off before you use it, and I did have it gum up the hammer and slide on one of my 1911s, so I switched back to EWL for my pistols.
    Isn't that just purified Crisco? :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently helped a friend put together a upper, he seen some frog Lube on the bench, told him about it etc..had a extra little tube, gave it to him said after you break in/ shoot it then scrub some on...lol fast forward a little run into him and asked how it shot , lol nothing but bad words coming out his mouth, he went back to Montana and was cold, frog lube froze up and gummed/ jammed in operable he said, ...

I have experienced similar up here in the wet/cold Nw, I only use it in the summer, once it runs out in not sure, just use clp for everything else as I always have and it works decent for cleaning and lubing for storage but want to try out something different...always wanted to try slip/ewl for the AR's... using up some fp-10 I got with a pistol and it seems good but haven't heard how it works in AR's and such

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got on the Slip2000 bandwagon way back when, never had a problem, never jumped off.

Lube was one of those things where I never understood why people felt the need to ditch what was working to go with the new hotness. Especially with such dippy names a "froglube".
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure why the name is "dippy". The person who founded Froglube is a retired Navy SEAL Captain and SEALs are known as "frogs" coming from their origins as "frogmen". Seems to make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I got on the Slip2000 bandwagon way back when, never had a problem, never jumped off.

Lube was one of those things where I never understood why people felt the need to ditch what was working to go with the new hotness. Especially with such dippy names a "froglube".
    Owner/Instructor- Semper Paratus Arms
    www.semperparatusarms.com

Master Armorer/R&D- SIONICS Weapon Systems
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been using the paste for a while - its both more controllable and less gummy than the liquid-ish stuff. There is a little prep work involved in getting to a paste-only condition, but I've liked the results after getting there. The biggest drawback it that you can't really supplement lube during use with the paste. I'm not shooting really high volume often, so it's not been a problem.

I don't use it on vintage guns or 1911's - but for ARs and poly pistols it's been pretty good to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been using the Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube products over the past year and have had great luck with them. I am not the best at cleaning my guns regularly and I typically run them pretty wet. They also have many different products to chose from based on your intended use. I am sure this is someone else's product with a WC label wrapped around it...but until I figure that part out...I will keep buying from WC.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-L.../products/432/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slip2000 fan boy here. Great stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Froglube without a doubt froze up a Benelli SBE2 the very first time the gun was used in cold temperatures. I had good results with it on warmer days but after that I completely removed it. I have some of the new Extreme but cant bring myself to even waste the prep time to try it.