Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I've had nothing but positive experiences with Weapon Shield as well. I'm not a Frog Lube defender, but there are a couple of things that I have noticed: It does not play well with other lubes or solvents, so totally de-grease prior to use. It takes a small amount of product to do it's thing and the excess should be wiped off. I know that several people at work have ditched FL and gone back to more conventional lubes.
    I use Frog Lube almost exclusively. Is it the best stuff since beer and pizza? No. But for me, living in a Condo now, it's a good choice. I don't have to worry about caustic chemicals on the carpet, smelling up the whole place with chemical smells, etc.

I'm not sure how you're using it, but 9 out of 10 times I hear people swearing it off like the clap, they are not using it as directed. Most of the time they glob the stuff all over everything. If you've got it gumming up something, you're using too much. All other chemicals should be cleaned from the lube points with frog lube cleaner. Heat the parts and wipe off the excess. Nothing should be left to gum up anything, except the bit left in the pores of the metal. It should look as if it almost doesn't have any lube on it.

Anyway, I'm not selling the stuff. I don't think it's the best thing on the market, I think it's the best thing for me. It's amazing, when used as directed, how my BCG looks dry, but after a few shots there's a very thin film of lube there. And it cleans up even easier. I don't get -20F temperatures down here, but I've put parts in the freezer for an hour or so, and don't see frozen gunk as so many people describe. There shouldn't be enough of it on the part to create a frozen layer.

So, use it, don't use it, send your left overs to me. But from your description, I'd wager that the OP is not prepping according to FL's instructions and/or using way too much of it.

FT.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can assure you without a doubt the lube was applied correctly. I would guess very few people have a tempering oven to preheat their parts in. I've posted on this forum before myself about FL causing issues. My SBE2 easily has 10-15k rounds through it and it has failed to function twice. Bad ammo once and FL once.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 264
Size:  1.70 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both Froglube, and FIREClean gummed up bad for me. FIREClean took a long time to do it, but when it did, it did like a boss!

I tried Weaponshield, as I am friends with Mr. Fennell, and it did pretty well. However, I eventually ended up using SLIP 2000 EWL. It is VERY similar to FIREClean in performance, but won't gum up, and has a long track record of not fucking things up, in general. I prefer it to Weaponshield because I can clean my rifle the same way as I did with FIREClean, just wipe the fouling off.

I prefer the smell of Weaponshield to any other product, though. It "smells like guns" to me. Without being offensive or causing light-headed-ness.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco75 View Post
    I have been using the Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube products over the past year and have had great luck with them. I am not the best at cleaning my guns regularly and I typically run them pretty wet. They also have many different products to chose from based on your intended use. I am sure this is someone else's product with a WC label wrapped around it...but until I figure that part out...I will keep buying from WC.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-L.../products/432/
    I considered their product, but prefer Weaponshield. Whatever Wilson is doing, is second best, because they originally tried to hire Fennell on, and he didn't. So their product is second to whatever they intended it to be, is my interpretation of things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I'm not sure how you're using it, but 9 out of 10 times I hear people swearing it off like the clap, they are not using it as directed. Most of the time they glob the stuff all over everything. If you've got it gumming up something, you're using too much. All other chemicals should be cleaned from the lube points with frog lube cleaner. Heat the parts and wipe off the excess. Nothing should be left to gum up anything, except the bit left in the pores of the metal. It should look as if it almost doesn't have any lube on it.
    FT.
    I'm not experiencing issues with it. I just pointed out that some users from my agency have elected to use other products, even though FL is provided. For me, I went through the appropriate thorough cleaning, degreasing, heating process and avoid over-application. I have not experienced issues that some others have, but I follow directions and typically use it in a fairly moderate climate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I'm not experiencing issues with it. I just pointed out that some users from my agency have elected to use other products, even though FL is provided. For me, I went through the appropriate thorough cleaning, degreasing, heating process and avoid over-application. I have not experienced issues that some others have, but I follow directions and typically use it in a fairly moderate climate.
    You may want to be careful, as over time, it can get/collect into tiny places that you don't clean, such as the selector switch detent, the ejector, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll keep this thread in mind. Still like Froglube, no failures from it yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I can assure you without a doubt the lube was applied correctly. I would guess very few people have a tempering oven to preheat their parts in. I've posted on this forum before myself about FL causing issues. My SBE2 easily has 10-15k rounds through it and it has failed to function twice. Bad ammo once and FL once.

Simmer down...no pun intended. What the heck are you talking about, needing a "tempering oven"? FL recommends "warming" the part up. Direct sun light is usually enough. A heat gun, or hair dryer (a cheap $5 hair dryer from the Dollar store works beautifully). You just warm it up enough for the stuff to liquefy and then wipe it off. Very little should remain. If you don't like the stuff (FL), don't use it, but don't use the forum to misinform folks that they need a tempering oven. If you are changing the temper from factory specs to whatever, please don't shoot in the lane next to me. This is FL we're talking about. We're not heat treating or heat soaking parts for NASA.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 8 March 2016 at 05:04.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your lube requires such special application that people on the internet are going to tell you that your failures with said lube are because "you're doing it wrong", your lube is shite.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I eventually ended up using SLIP 2000 EWL. It is VERY similar to FIREClean in performance, but won't gum up, and has a long track record of not fucking things up, in general.
    Never underestimate the propensity of gun homos to royally fuck up perfectly good guns because they think they found "better".
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration79 View Post
    Some ATF fluid, some motor oil, and a touch of Sea Foam. That's my plan.

Been doing that since the Army in the early 90s. Only no ATF, just 10/40 now 20/50. Kept me from scraping 240 bolts after field exercises. Cleans up super easy after range days. Cheap bottle just doesn't photo well on the internet next to that nice list of parts I suppose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It doesn't get super cold here in SC, and if it does get below freezing, it doesn't stay there for long. That being said, I didn't like how tacky FL got. I cleaned it off of the rifles and pistols I'd applied it to some time in December. I switched to a large bottle of MPro7 gun oil/lube that I was given when I was on active duty. Not sure what I would have used if I hadn't had it on the shelf, but it was free and so far seems to work just as good as anything else. And it doesn't get tacky.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post

Your lubricant application assistance device costs more than some of the firearms I own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    I'll keep this thread in mind. Still like Froglube, no failures from it yet.
    If you stay on this, or probably any other gun forum long, you'll get this "lube wars" shit over and over. Not quite sure why, if folks don't like something, as simple as lube, use something else. I personally use what works for me. I'm sure it isn't the best thing on the market, but it fits my needs. I've never had a lube related failure since I retired in 95.(1st retirement). Super fine desert dust, the consistency of talc, and CPL would make one screwed up mess, after a day in the dirt, without ever firing a shot. You REALLY want to start some shit? Go to a Harley forum and ask...What kind of oil is the best? Death threats will begin within about 15 posts.... We need a "here, you get a cookie for using the (real) best lube", award.
    Last edited by FortTom; 8 March 2016 at 12:28.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    GL-90 gear lube, Mobil 1 10w40, wheel bearing grease, whatever I have in the shop is what I use. I don't see the point of all these weapon-specific lubes. Maybe someone will come out with Strawberry gun lube ... I like strawberries.