Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Muzzle Device Questions

I'm very undecided on a muzzle device. It'll be going on a 16" midlength barrel. I basically want the "impossible", in that I'm trying to find a device that keeps my gun as flat as possible, maybe reduces a bit of recoil, but also doesn't have the concussion of a bomb going off. Right now, I'm considering the Griffin M4SD Flash Comp II, VG6 Epsilon, Lantac Dragon or maybe just a BE Saker Flash Hider.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? I have a Surefire Procomp and it's great, but it has pretty crazy concussion. I'm leaning toward the M4SD as it looks like it does a pretty good job of all three without a secondary device like the CAGE or Lantac BMD.

Thanks for any input!
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

Downloads
    Uploads

Muzzle Device Questions

I have a saker on a 13.7" rifle. It pings like a tuning fork but that's easy to fix. There is a groove around the end that you can run an o ring or a wire threw. That stops the ping. I used some wire for hanging pictures. It doesn't do anything for recoil but it's not designed to. It's designed to suppress flash. It's very good at that. I mainly went with the saker cause I plan on leaving CA and eventually want to put a suppressor on the gun. This would mean I wouldn't need to put another mount on the gun, just buy a suppressor with the saker mount.

I have a VG6 Gamma on a 308. It works very well at refusing recoil and keeping the gun flat but the blast is big. Not as much as my Procomp but it's noticeable. Lol. Never messed with the epsilon. That being said I do have a griffin M4SD brake and it blast like the Procomp. It will thump neighbor shooters in the chest at an indoor range.
    Last edited by Naytwan; 10 March 2016 at 16:55.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If a brake works, it's loud. Honestly can't stand the blast sheild trend. 5.56 barely recoil as it is. Just run a flash hider if blast is an issue.

Best solution is a suppressor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm pretty torn because I think my biggest goal is to have it as flat as possible for quick follow ups. I'd love a suppressor, but I don't have the funds for one any time soon.
    Graphic Designer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Micor Flash Suppressor. Been my favorite for years, and in that time I've owned and shot quite a few different devices to include PWS Triad, PWS FSC, Battlecomp, Rainiers first hybrid brake (forgot the designation), AAC Blackout, Smith Vortex, and most recently the EFAB. They went off the market for a bit and finally made a return so I just received my first new one in years. Flattest flash hider I've shot. Ever. Doesn't do anything for recoil as its primary function is flash suppression, but it works great at that too as I've never seen visible flame out if it when shot from a 16" barrel.

Also of note, my first AR started with a PWS FSC and when I swapped to a Micor I gained about .25 MOA accuracy with ammo across the board.

Pain in the ass to order now though as you have to call unless you'd rather print the form, fill it out and fax it. Prices also aren't listed but I paid 59.95 for mine. Disappointed I didn't get a titanium one when they were available.

I WAS looking at the M4SD as a Micor alternative until they came back online, but I haven't shot one.

Link if interested.
    http://www.micorind.com/products

The helical cuts are matched to barrel twist rate. No idea what roll that plays, I just know they work.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Micor Flash Suppressor. Been my favorite for years, and in that time I've owned and shot quite a few different devices to include PWS Triad, PWS FSC, Battlecomp, Rainiers first hybrid brake (forgot the designation), AAC Blackout, Smith Vortex, and most recently the EFAB. They went off the market for a bit and finally made a return so I just received my first new one in years. Flattest flash hider I've shot. Ever. Doesn't do anything for recoil as its primary function is flash suppression, but it works great at that too as I've never seen visible flame out if it when shot from a 16" barrel.

Also of note, my first AR started with a PWS FSC and when I swapped to a Micor I gained about .25 MOA accuracy with ammo across the board.

Pain in the ass to order now though as you have to call unless you'd rather print the form, fill it out and fax it. Prices also aren't listed but I paid 59.95 for mine. Disappointed I didn't get a titanium one when they were available.

I WAS looking at the M4SD as a Micor alternative until they came back online, but I haven't shot one.

Link if interested.
    http://www.micorind.com/products

The helical cuts are matched to barrel twist rate. No idea what roll that plays, I just know they work.
    Thanks for the good info! I actually hadn't even heard of this device. I'm pretty intrigued from what you're saying. For $60 I may have to try it out.
    Graphic Designer

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an SLR flashcomp that is about the same thing as the Griffin you're talking about. It's a combination of a brake and a flash hider and a compensator all three. I have to say that I tested it quite a bit merely out of curiosity and it really does work. The compensator function was actually quite noticeable.

I am pretty much a layman on muzzle devices but I did do pretty extensive testing just so that I could see what it would do and I was made a believer. I didn't really care so much about the flash hiding part, but the compesating part was pretty nice.

On one of my tests I used a led sled on a very open range. I took the muzzle device all the way off and set the gun in the sled unsupported then I squeezed the trigger with just my finger watching and noting the jump. It would go from jumping all the way out of the cradle to not jumping out of it at all with the compensator.

I also used some paracord and hung my gun up level with one point towards the front half of the rail and one point towards the stock and did the same test. Big difference again. Just saying.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a look at Precision armaments AFAB, I have them on all my rifles. Theres some really good videos on youtube.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    If a brake works, it's loud. Honestly can't stand the blast sheild trend. 5.56 barely recoil as it is. Just run a flash hider if blast is an issue.

Best solution is a suppressor.
    I was pretty skeptical about the blast shield trend as well but I had a gift card so I got one basically for free (It cost me like $5 after I used my gift card). I will say in some situations it does have some benefits. It might not be the thing for everyone admittedly but in some situations it can have some benefits.

If for some reason I don't run the suppressor because of whatever or if I need a really compact setup I would probably run a blast shield especially if shooting in a confined space.

Check out the video from Griffin. The video actually does real tests to show it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Until I went the supressor route, I really liked my Rainier XTC. Their XTC 2.0 looks good too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EO3 View Post
    Thanks for the good info! I actually hadn't even heard of this device. I'm pretty intrigued from what you're saying. For $60 I may have to try it out.
    I (seriously) doubt it'll be flatter than the Lantac or Epsilon you mentioned, as when I shot a Surefire Procomp it was flatter than the Micor. Then again that's to be expected of a pure brake.

But of the hybrids and pure flash hiders, the Micor owns. Flattest muzzle, no flame, A2-like concussion. And really it DID NOT give up much to the FSC in terms of muzzle deviation. Which, the PWS FSC is their TTO brake with flash hiding tines on the end. So yeah, in my mind it's a brake. The deviation difference between the Micor and FSC was insignificant enough that I couldn't shoot the difference between them at speed.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a fairly comprehensive test of various muzzle devices, including photos of muzzle flash and videos comparing muzzle movement in relation to a bare muzzle: http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/uncateg...ce-comparison/

I've never ran a "hybrid" muzzle device, but it seems to me that something designed to do two different things won't do either one as well as a dedicated device (i.e. flash hider or brake). If a suppressor is in your future, maybe think about a muzzle device compatible with that can. Aside from running something to mount a can, i've used various Battlecomps, AAC Blackout, Smith Vortex, and of course the venerable A2 birdcage. With the mild recoil of 5.56 and linear recoil impulse, i've never had a problem putting shots on target regardless of what muzzle device i happen to be running.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very undecided on a muzzle device. It'll be going on a 16" midlength barrel. I basically want the "impossible", in that I'm trying to find a device that keeps my gun as flat as possible, maybe reduces a bit of recoil, but also doesn't have the concussion of a bomb going off. Right now, I'm considering the Griffin M4SD Flash Comp II, VG6 Epsilon, Lantac Dragon or maybe just a BE Saker Flash Hider.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? I have a Surefire Procomp and it's great, but it has pretty crazy concussion. I'm leaning toward the M4SD as it looks like it does a pretty good job of all three without a secondary device like the CAGE or Lantac BMD.

Thanks for any input!
    I absolutely love my SF Warcomp. That, and my suppressors fit on it...

At night, there is hardly ANY flash, it keeps my gun noticeably flatter, and to my ears, it sounds similar to a bare muzzle. It's having your cake and eating it, too. The only thing it DOESN'T do, is mitigate REARWARD recoil. You still get 90% of that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess half of my problem is deciding what it is I really want it to do. And I'm having a hard time doing so, which is what has me thinking "maybe get a hybrid device that is decent at all three" and just sit somewhere in the middle. I don't really shoot at night, and I don't see myself getting a suppressor anytime in the near future. I shoot at my house (the neighbors aren't TOO far, so I want to be somewhat courteous to them) and an outdoor range most of the time. So I don't want to have ridiculous concussion, either. Like everyone says, recoil is already so light on 5.56, that it isn't really necessary to have a muzzle device reduce it further.

I'm basically stuck at this: What can I put on the end of my barrel that will keep it relatively flat and not have crazy concussion or a massive fireball? Maybe just a flash hider that also stays relatively flat? Can anyone else speak for the Micor muzzle device?
    Graphic Designer

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess half of my problem is deciding what it is I really want it to do. And I'm having a hard time doing so, which is what has me thinking "maybe get a hybrid device that is decent at all three" and just sit somewhere in the middle. I don't really shoot at night, and I don't see myself getting a suppressor anytime in the near future. I shoot at my house (the neighbors aren't TOO far, so I want to be somewhat courteous to them) and an outdoor range most of the time. So I don't want to have ridiculous concussion, either. Like everyone says, recoil is already so light on 5.56, that it isn't really necessary to have a muzzle device reduce it further.

I'm basically stuck at this: What can I put on the end of my barrel that will keep it relatively flat and not have crazy concussion or a massive fireball? Maybe just a flash hider that also stays relatively flat? Can anyone else speak for the Micor muzzle device?
    A solution to all this is to buy my SLR muzzle hybrid that I am not using I am just being honest in saying that it will most likely meet all of your needs.

Trust me though I was in your same shoes not too long ago. You want a suppressor but you don't have it yet. You want to shoot but not piss off the neighborhood...

I think you would be happy with a lot of things and to me at least my opinion on the jack of all trades thing doesn't always apply to muzzle devices. It's better that they be done right is the most important thing. Specifically on the compensating thing I've since shot some that way over compensate. I've shot others that don't seem to do anything (not compensating enough). The trick is to divert just enough of the muzzle blast upwards so that you get the right amount of compensation. It actually works by diverting part of the muzzle blast upwards thus driving the barrel down thus offsetting a motion.

Like I said I've shot some that I was having to re-acquire by pulling up...too much compensating = bad design. In other words don't fear a hybrid for that.

Nothing you buy will tame the noise down either. You're going to have to live with it. What that brake will do is divert that blast out to the sides and some will even direct it back towards the shooter, the aim being to offset the recoil to some degree.

I am the king of over thinking so I can say this... don't over think it. Just get something good from a good place and odds are you will be fine. There might be some bad choices but there are a number of good ones too.