Downloads
    Uploads

Do you ever service your AR mags?

On the days before I go on my trip I am getting some shooting in while at the same time still trying to trouble shoot my gun. I THINK I've got it. (Finally).

I had factory ammo and I used three different mags. On two of the mags not even a hint of hiccup through every single round. On the other mag though I had a single failure to feed which also slightly bent the shell casing as has been happening from time to time before. I carefully dropped the mag and low and behold it was bound up. While still in the magazine the rounds were in some kind of funky position and stuck. Then I was able to recreate it one more time after that so I think my problem was a bum magazine.

I don't own anything but pmags. I did notice that the magazine itself was absolutely filthy. I pushed the little plastic thing down with my finger and my finger came out black and pretty nasty. I ended up taking the base plate off and cleaning up in there as best as I could. I was frickin dirty as hell.

For what it's worth I have a case of 30 round mags and some more 20 rounders (I have been wanting more 20 rounders just to have them). But most of my mags are still in the package. I have just a few that honestly see action at all. I figure when one breaks I will toss it and open another. On that note I should probably start labeling my mags.

Just to give an idea of the time line, I have been using that specific mag for a year and half. It is very likely that it got picked up more often that the others. I would venture to say that one mag has seen at least at least a case or maybe two of ammo and most of that was suppressed. Not even once did I clean my mags other than just wiping off the outside. There was oil and grit and SEAL 1 and who all knows what in that mag. It was just a downright greasy mess.

Question time now... do you clean your mags (ever) and if so what is the mag cleaning routine you use? Throwing that one away is no problem. I've gotten more than my use out of it but if all it needed was to be cleaned out from all the greasy grime then it should be good to go now. Basically I am using this as an opportunity to learn more than anything.

What kind of life should I expect out of a Pmag assuming I am not dropping them or kicking them around and not really abusing them at all? Is there a way that I can test to see if it's a bum mag or not? If so what is that test (other than just shooting the crap out of it and seeing if there is any other failures)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It also brings up a second question that if things like Frog Lube or whatever similar products could in theory cause mag hang ups or failures... Just an idea... food for though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you ever service your AR mags?

I rarely clean my mags but when I do I just drop the base plate and spring and use a dry paper towel and wipe everything down. Hopefully It goes without saying but don't use any type of lube in the mags

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do after shooting suppressed; they can really gunk up. I wipe everything out, using Hoppes 9 or something if necessary, but I dry everything totally off before reassembly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am thinking that based on my use that the mag should not be worn out yet.

I never intentionally put lube on the mags but I think they did get gunked up really bad maybe from excess lube over time plus regular shooting suppressed.

At this point I am almost positive that my problem was the mag but I know for sure with the other two mags I didn't have a single problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mags don't last forever and should be considered disposable, especially at the reasonable cost of mags at the moment. If you have a mag that regularly induces malfunctions, get rid of it. Most mags actually tolerate a fair amount of crud, especially those that are designed for military usage. With that said, I do occasionally break down my mags for cleaning, especially when I know they have been exposed to the elements or seen heavy use. Cleaning a takes about a minute, so there isn't a reason not to do it. It's also a good time to inspect the mag (feedlips, spine, check for free follower movement, full bolt catch engagement, drop free from mag well). With the increased back-pressure from shooting suppressed, it's expected to get more crap blown back into the mag. Something as simple as a metallic Sharpie can be used to mark mags for tracking.

When in doubt, render a questionable mag inert.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Mags don't last forever and should be considered disposable, especially at the reasonable cost of mags at the moment. If you have a mag that regularly induces malfunctions, get rid of it. Most mags actually tolerate a fair amount of crud, especially those that are designed for military usage. With that said, I do occasionally break down my mags for cleaning, especially when I know they have been exposed to the elements or seen heavy use. Cleaning a takes about a minute, so there isn't a reason not to do it. It's also a good time to inspect the mag (feedlips, spine, check for free follower movement, full bolt catch engagement, drop free from mag well). With the increased back-pressure from shooting suppressed, it's expected to get more crap blown back into the mag. Something as simple as a metallic Sharpie can be used to mark mags for tracking.

When in doubt, render a questionable mag inert.
    If you are going to render it inert try about 3 pounds of tannerite :) LOL

That's awesome.

Well, I would test the mag out more and see if that was really the problem or if me cleaning out the crap and drying it all off helped, but since I leave the country in about 36 hours it doesn't look like I will be doing much more testing of anything for a while.

Although I will have a good time, not sleeping with guns and not shooting is going to be a big trial.