Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul MIAD and MOE Review

Link to Magpul MIAD Installation Guide

Long term thoughts and real world use:

I've been running the MIAD on my duty weapon since early in its introduction. It started out on my T&E mule, and did exactly what I wanted.

I have long been an A2 pistol grip fan after having carried it for years in the military and in the desert. Even on long desert patrols, the A2 grip always was comfortable, so it was hard for me to believe that the MIAD would be able to improve upon what I felt was already perfection.

The obvious question becomes, what exactly does the MIAD offer over the A2 grip for me? Its pretty simple. The ability to adjust and fit it to my hand was a great asset, but that only made it a little better than the A2, and to be honest, it wouldn't have been enough to put it on my duty carbine. What sold me on it was the way it locked into my hand with its texturing.

Its not uncommon for me to have to break out my carbine multiple times a shift. Much of that is clearing buildings, or perimeter work. In clearing buildings, I am often moving, shifting around, and doing one handed work with the weapon. With the texture of the MIAD, I never loose my shooting handhold, and the weapon stays locked in place. When outside, its often wet, cold, or otherwise miserable. My body makeup runs towards poor circulation, and when I'm wet and cold, my hands and fingers loose dexterity quicker than many people. However, the job doesn't change, and the public and guys on my squad aren't looking to hear about cold little fingers or hurt feelings. The mission comes first, and we can sit back later over coffee and talk about the call. Equipment issues in real life are unacceptable, as are excuses. The MIAD gets the job done.

Yes, there is dead skin on the grip, and yes, its been soaked in solvent while I use a dunk tank to clean it so its a little offcolored, and no, it will never look pretty again, but I know it works, and looking pretty is for rookies.

Here is a picture of the MIAD getting worked out during Magpul PMAG testing.

Here is a close up of the MIAD texture.
    Last edited by Stickman; 12 July 2008 at 07:34.

Downloads
    Uploads

MOE addition to the MIAD lineup

Magpul has now released the pistol grip for their Magpul Original Equipment (MOE) series.

The MOE pistol grip is similar to the Magpul MIAD in overall appearance, texture, durability and installation. What the MOE brings is the most popular of the MIAD sizes and features molded into one piece. This brings a lower price, which should be a welcome idea for shooters on a budget, or looking to outfit a stockpile of lowers. Note that the MOE pistol grip does not come with the enhanced trigger guard, though obviously the replacement aluminum Magpul part would work nicely with the MOE. The MOE also does not use the finger bump on the front the way an A2 pistol grip does. Magpul determined that it was not a highly used part by most shooters, which puts me in the minority for using them on almost all my weapons. The MOE incorporates the flare on the backstrap (from the medium size MIAD insert), which should work out well for the majority of shooters.

The MOE is also laid out as a OEM part for weapon manufacturers looking to upgrade over the standard M16A2 pistol grip.

Installation instructions are found at the link at the top of the page (they mirror the Magpul MIAD installation).

The MOE pistol grip continues with the Magpul insert at the bottom of the grip. This allows shooters to continue using the 3 round insert that comes with the stock piece, or to pick their choice of the MIAD 123 Battery Grip Core, MIAD AA/AAA Battery Grip Core, or MIAD Bolt & Firing Pin Grip Core.

The fit of the MOE pistol grips is as solid as the MIAD, and the only thing that prevents me from switching over to these is that I already use their siblings in the form of a MIAD on almost ever AR15 variant I own. I would have no problems recommending this pistol grip for those who go into harms way, or for the casual shooter.

The MOE series comes in all the standard Magpul colors (FDE, FG, OD Green, and Black). These are dead matches for the rest of the Magpul series items.

Magpul MOE Pistol Grip shown below on a Magpul lower receiver.

Last edited by Stickman; 12 July 2008 at 07:48.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads