Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul MIAD and MOE Review

Link to Magpul MIAD Installation Guide

Long term thoughts and real world use:

I've been running the MIAD on my duty weapon since early in its introduction. It started out on my T&E mule, and did exactly what I wanted.

I have long been an A2 pistol grip fan after having carried it for years in the military and in the desert. Even on long desert patrols, the A2 grip always was comfortable, so it was hard for me to believe that the MIAD would be able to improve upon what I felt was already perfection.

The obvious question becomes, what exactly does the MIAD offer over the A2 grip for me? Its pretty simple. The ability to adjust and fit it to my hand was a great asset, but that only made it a little better than the A2, and to be honest, it wouldn't have been enough to put it on my duty carbine. What sold me on it was the way it locked into my hand with its texturing.

Its not uncommon for me to have to break out my carbine multiple times a shift. Much of that is clearing buildings, or perimeter work. In clearing buildings, I am often moving, shifting around, and doing one handed work with the weapon. With the texture of the MIAD, I never loose my shooting handhold, and the weapon stays locked in place. When outside, its often wet, cold, or otherwise miserable. My body makeup runs towards poor circulation, and when I'm wet and cold, my hands and fingers loose dexterity quicker than many people. However, the job doesn't change, and the public and guys on my squad aren't looking to hear about cold little fingers or hurt feelings. The mission comes first, and we can sit back later over coffee and talk about the call. Equipment issues in real life are unacceptable, as are excuses. The MIAD gets the job done.

Yes, there is dead skin on the grip, and yes, its been soaked in solvent while I use a dunk tank to clean it so its a little offcolored, and no, it will never look pretty again, but I know it works, and looking pretty is for rookies.

Here is a picture of the MIAD getting worked out during Magpul PMAG testing.

Here is a close up of the MIAD texture.
    Last edited by Stickman; 12 July 2008 at 07:34.