Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

B.A.D. Lantac build

I've been a lurker here for some years and finally decided to build out a few AR's and I'm hoping to get some guidance. From what I can tell this seems like the best forum to take advice from. So here we go. For this particular build I'm really trying to create a good looking rifle that still functions. This will basically be used for target shooting. Here is a list so far of what I have or plan to get. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

B.A.D. PDW lower
    Lantac UAR upper
    Lantac e-bcg
    Lantac dragon brake
    AXTS Raptor nib or just the regular, still undecided
    Lantac spada s 15" still unsure if BMD will fit with the 15" rail (plan to buy)
    Lantac BMD when available (plan to buy)

Barrel and trigger I could definitely use some advice on.

I'll try to get some photos up as it moves along.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 947
Size:  62.7 KB

Quick shot of the upper and lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to Wevo! Great start to an awesome build. What is your budget on the remaining items?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dstrbdmedic167; 15 March 2016 at 10:31.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skypainter View Post
    I've been a lurker here for some years and finally decided to build out a few AR's and I'm hoping to get some guidance. From what I can tell this seems like the best forum to take advice from. So here we go. For this particular build I'm really trying to create a good looking rifle that still functions. This will basically be used for target shooting. Here is a list so far of what I have or plan to get. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

B.A.D. PDW lower
    Lantac UAR upper
    Lantac e-bcg
    Lantac dragon brake
    AXTS Raptor nib or just the regular, still undecided
    Lantac spada s 15" still unsure if BMD will fit with the 15" rail (plan to buy)
    Lantac BMD when available (plan to buy)

Barrel and trigger I could definitely use some advice on.

I'll try to get some photos up as it moves along.
    On the barrel and trigger I will thrown my 2cents in there. #1. I am a big fan of the CMC single stage flat triggers. Drop it in a fuggheta bout it. I doubt you will find many here that will argue.

Unless you have some specific preference as to style of trigger that's a great option. I am certain there are a ton of other fantastic triggers out there though.

As for the barrel I will say the same thing I have said to others. "Target shooting" is not very specific. For me that could mean me trying to make 1/2" groups at 100 yards, or it could mean lobbing rounds down range to 600 yards or beyond, or it could mean shooting tin cans at 50 yards with Wal Mart ammo.

It also will depend on how heavy of a shooter you are. Another factor is what kind of investment are you wanting to make in ammo?

If you want to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards that will require one tier of barrel and one tier of ammo. If you just want to shoot steel plates at 100 yards you can go with something totally different and save yourself a whole lot of money and pick up other benefits as well (all while spending a lot less money).

Stainless barrels can be better but that depends on where you get them from. That said they won't stand up to extremely heavy shooting routines nearly as much as other options. Other barrels however might not provide 1/2 moa performance, but then again if you're not shooting match ammo all the time it won't matter. In the end you will wind up with a fine shooter that is probably twice if not more than twice as durable.

It's not that one is 'good' and the other is 'bad' it's just that one is designed for one thing and the other for another. Both could be extremely good quality. You just have to pick based on your intended use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agree with Alamo on the barrel options, but have a question on "target shooting" ... A PDW lower/stock may be less than ideal off the bench - a great stock - but not sure if it is best suited for benchrest. If you are square-box target shooting - action environment from various positions, then terrific. Like stated above, target shooting has many connotations; and the build-out should either specifically fit the need, or be generic enough to suit multiple use-types.

You said you want to build out a few, awesome idea. If this is your first, think long and hard about the future builds. A sub-MOA rifle may (or may not) be your next choice. Build this one exactly how you want it, but consider what you are going to do next. If you plan to have multiple builds, none have to be "one size fits all" for your shooting wants.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    For your intentions with this rifle, I think you chose a poor lower. Those PDW stocks are a compromise for the sake of a very compact rifle. Suffering with a stock like that on a rifle with a 16" barrel is an exercise in futility.

Don't take this as I don't like those lowers, as I have one of the very first CMT ones they released. Great design for its intended purpose, a PDW.

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 on the lower choice. I'm sure the BAD PDW is amazing, but it's not really your best option unless you're going to SBR with it if you ask me.
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

Downloads
    Uploads
    Raptor CH is awesome, but don't bother with NiB. I bought one, it feels identical to the standard when charging. It's not polished or smoothed up and it's nothing at all like going from a phosphate to a NiB BCG.

Unless you just want it for the color.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder how a PDW would feet mated on a 14.5 with a pinned/welded muzzle device? That would be the only way around SBRing the lower.
    On a 10.5-12.5 the PDW seems like it would be great.

Others have all made excellent points. The PDW styles seem awesome and probably are but their intended use isn't going to be benchrest shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I wonder how a PDW would feet mated on a 14.5 with a pinned/welded muzzle device? That would be the only way around SBRing the lower.
    On a 10.5-12.5 the PDW seems like it would be great.

Others have all made excellent points. The PDW styles seem awesome and probably are but their intended use isn't going to be benchrest shooting.
    He could even go 13.7 with a pinned/welded BE 249F or 249S without SBRing. Like you said, though, I think a PDW would be less than ideal for shooting from a bench.
    Graphic Designer

Downloads
    Uploads
    SBR that receiver! Only way its meant to be enjoyed. My advice is shift your plans to SBR first, since you have an ideal receiver group, then build a monster precision rifle, if that's what you want. You might just find that the shorty setup will give you all the reach you desire, plus the kick in the pants of owning an NFA item.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    SBR that receiver! Only way its meant to be enjoyed. My advice is shift your plans to SBR first, since you have an ideal receiver group, then build a monster precision rifle, if that's what you want. You might just find that the shorty setup will give you all the reach you desire, plus the kick in the pants of owning an NFA item.
    Just an extra $200 bucks. But then of course you will need a suppressor as well.... and down that rabbit hole we go :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback. A lot of good points to consider going forward. I'll try and address some of the replies the best I can.

For this build the budget is sort of open. I just want to be wise about what I'm paying for a particular part. The bad pdw was I'll admit an impulse buy. It looked so good I just hit buy before thinking it out. Now I find myself going against the grain a little bit with trying to make this lower work and not be an
    Sbr.

The CMC trigger I will definitely go check out. Thank you for that.

I shoulda clarified I wanted to use this more for movement target shooting. No bench shooting.

I have thought about the sbr route but there are some things that concern me especially with the political climate and the amount of time an approval takes. Also correct, adequate, proper storage is another big concern. May be worth my time to do a little more research on it.

Think I'm still gonna try and build out the shortest barrel with pinned/welded brake and if it doesn't feel right with the pdw then I will switch to a different lower.

Thanks for the heads up on the raptor. I think I will take your advice and just grab the regular version.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skypainter View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback. A lot of good points to consider going forward. I'll try and address some of the replies the best I can.

For this build the budget is sort of open. I just want to be wise about what I'm paying for a particular part. The bad pdw was I'll admit an impulse buy. It looked so good I just hit buy before thinking it out. Now I find myself going against the grain a little bit with trying to make this lower work and not be an
    Sbr.

The CMC trigger I will definitely go check out. Thank you for that.

I shoulda clarified I wanted to use this more for movement target shooting. No bench shooting.

I have thought about the sbr route but there are some things that concern me especially with the political climate and the amount of time an approval takes. Also correct, adequate, proper storage is another big concern. May be worth my time to do a little more research on it.

Think I'm still gonna try and build out the shortest barrel with pinned/welded brake and if it doesn't feel right with the pdw then I will switch to a different lower.

Thanks for the heads up on the raptor. I think I will take your advice and just grab the regular version.
    Check out weaponoutfitters.com! They have a nice 13.7" barrel and will pin and weld a BE Meyers 249F to the barrel to get out to 16" overall. The CMC Single Flat is also a great bang for your buck.
    Last edited by EO3; 15 March 2016 at 19:01.
    Graphic Designer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EO3 View Post
    Check out weaponoutfitters.com! They have a nice 13.7" barrel and will pin and weld a BE Meyers 249F to the barrel to get out to 16" overall. The CMC Single Flat is also a great bang for your buck.
    I'm running the 13.7" track barrel (Weapon Outfitters branded Micro MOA barrel). The thing is very nice. I havent done any accuracy testing cause ive been to lazy to put a scope on the thing but I was tagging a plate at 150 yards without issue after a 50 yard zero. Micro MOA guarantees 1 moa at 100 yards. I hope I can get it to the range and test it this weekend. I'm running the 249 Saker. You will need the spacer with it to make 16" OAL. My rifle with Magpul SL is almost 31". I'm running an SSA in it.