Thread: AR socks?

Downloads
    Uploads

AR socks?

I keep a couple of AR's and mags out of their cases so I can have something easily available. The problem is they do collect dust so I would wipe them down periodically.

After a while I bought some of the silicone rifle socks. I actually like the socks I have now (especially for pistols) but they have one 'flaw' so to speak (at least for my intended purposes). For storage they are excellent additions, but they will not allow me to put them over an inserted magazine.

I am thinking about using a towel or something similar if I can't locate something made for this purpose. Another benefit of using a towel of some type (aside from the magazine) is it would be a bit faster in a pinch.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on this subject.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My wife's favorite thing to do when I'm walking our dogs each day is to dust off and clean all surfaces of dust and dog hair. Complete OCD about the subject.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umm, have you thought about cutting a hole in the socks for the magazine? Or, does that defeat the purpose?
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Umm, have you thought about cutting a hole in the socks for the magazine? Or, does that defeat the purpose?
    I've thought about it but it won't work for a couple of reasons, at least not with the ones I have. Also I really like those socks, but they were designed for bolt guns or just for storage w/out magazines.

The material is very stretchy so when you tried to put it on it would just ride back so there would be a need for some strategic Velcro. Even that might not work.

Also if you cut it the whole thing would basically unravel.

If I can find someone that can sew I could potentially make something fairly easily but it would have to be some other type of material.

I have more than one idea in my mind but I was going to see if something else was available before I start on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    No rifle condoms. My guns rawdog it. Buy HVAC filters to cut down on dust.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your rifle has dust that just means you dont shoot it enough... Now go shoot the ever lovin dog piss out of those things.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    If your rifle has dust that just means you dont shoot it enough... Now go shoot the ever lovin dog piss out of those things.
    I have to admit that this is a valid point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like if you feel you'll have time to remove a sock, you'll probably have time to insert a mag. Putting a sock on a "ready" gun seems counter productive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Probably should re-lube it while doing so too, sounds like it might all be dried up by now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Another great thing to do is simulate a breakin... Go lay in your bed after it gets dark, think about the mission for a few minutes then hit the GO button. See how you do and time yourself, grab the rifle and sweep the whole house, know your turns left and right and where is your safety selector??? Where are your family members??? Where is the extra ammo/mags?? You get the idea... Your gonna make a bunch of mistakes but thats the whole idea is to make them NOW! Do this once a week until you got it dialed in then once a month... Guaranteed to knock the dust off those staged carbines. I do this once a month with my PC and SBR then again with my 45. Dont over look any area in your house, closets, under beds etc,etc... You will also find out that leaving a few lights on when ya go to bed is a good thing unless you keep NOD's in your nightstand.
    Last edited by Stone; 26 January 2024 at 15:19.