Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BCG question

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    Actually Mystic Black is the only PLASMA PACVD coated BCG I know of.
    Most other times when you see IONBond, it's the standard PVD, of which I have quite a few.
    I've got quite a few of the V7 Ti IonBonded carriers and they've been doing great. Still look new and have function flawlessly. Would love to try a Mystic Black but finding a black Ti version in stock is next to impossible.
    Not to hijack but what setup are you running your V7 Ti carriers with? I've got mine on a 17.3" barrel with adjustable gas, a T1 (standard carbine weight) buffer and a Springco "white" (standard carbine weight) spring. My gas is nearly full open and I'm just waiting to have a problem. None to speak of thus far, though it's still on a pretty low round count and so far it's only been fed 5.56 loads. I just DON'T have the faith in it of a full weight system..
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Not to hijack but what setup are you running your V7 Ti carriers with? I've got mine on a 17.3" barrel with adjustable gas, a T1 (standard carbine weight) buffer and a Springco "white" (standard carbine weight) spring. My gas is nearly full open and I'm just waiting to have a problem. None to speak of thus far, though it's still on a pretty low round count and so far it's only been fed 5.56 loads. I just DON'T have the faith in it of a full weight system..
    I haven't had a hint of issues with 3 556 Ti carriers and 1 762 Ti carrier.
    The 556 carriers are on a 14.5 Middy, 10.5, 8.5 300BLK and the 308 is a 16" barrel. SLR adj blocks on all running 100% reliably with weak ammo (Bronze). Very highly recommended. I'm running light buffers and Sprinco and JP polished extra power springs. I've ran em pretty filthy and very little lube with the weak ammo while I was dialing in the gas, looking to get failures. No issues.

If you want to test reliability, run a bunch of PMC bronze, barely lubed, dirty, in the cold - that'll tell you if you need to change something. If it survives that, you're pretty much gtg, certainly with full power 556.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 25 March 2016 at 19:42.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    I haven't had a hint of issues with 3 556 Ti carriers and 1 762 Ti carrier.
    The 556 carriers are on a 14.5 Middy, 10.5, 8.5 300BLK and the 308 is a 16" barrel. SLR adj blocks on all running 100% reliably with weak ammo (Bronze). Very highly recommended. I'm running light buffers and Sprinco and JP polished extra power springs. I've ran em pretty filthy and very little lube with the weak ammo while I was dialing in the gas, looking to get failures. No issues.

If you want to test reliability, run a bunch of PMC bronze, barely lubed, dirty, in the cold - that'll tell you if you need to change something. If it survives that, you're pretty much gtg, certainly with full power 556.
    Yeah, SLR gas block on mine as well. Part of my concern stems from the fact that the barrel is already ported specifically for 5.56 for use with a full weigh BCG and standard spring and buffer, and the manufacturer recommends against anything weaker than full on 5.56 due to this.

Which is undoubtedly why I'm running only one click from full open.

I need to get it out and see if it'll lock back on the last round unsupported with some pressure on the mag, kinda as if it was being used as a monopod. Also see how it works in in roll over prone with gravity working against smooth feeding.

Won't know until I have a chance to get it out again, I just may be asking a lot out of such a small port. My back up plan is to get a 16" barrel with a more normal port if I can't get this upper to act right. Or just build a new upper.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^ I've got other rifles/barrels I've had to run the adj GB wide open on. Zero port headroom for tweaking. Still need to go back to a std block on these when I get time.
    Unlike some, I prefer a larger port that gives me flexibility to run whatever ammo I want to run in any condition and dial down the gas if needed. I'm not opposed to these newer rock-solid adj blocks. They just work, there's no maintenance and they allow YOU the control to adjust stuff instead of being at the mercy of a manufacturers port diameter decision. Others disagree, some very strongly. Some say adj GBs of any kind have no place on a 'serious' rifle. I disagree. I've got plenty of 'serious' rifles doing just fine with adj GBs.
    If they caused problems, I wouldn't be using them. Some of gas blocks years ago were crap. I tried many years ago and gave up for years until the first Syracs started shipping. Then I was hooked.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just looked up the Young BCG at Rainier. $245 for the National Match, and $185 for the standard Young Chrome. I didn't realize they were still that expensive. For that kind of cash I'd just stick with the Fathom or get yourself a well known NiB BCG.