Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
I'd say that the modern guy who would rather hump a M1 all day, give him a 20K in the freakin desert, with gear, and 98 degree weather (feels like 105) once, and I'd like to see how many change their mind

All kidding aside, I still love them, and really don't know why I don't own a nice specimen. Maybe give myself one for my birthday or Xmas this year.

FT
No it's weird, because it's the Nam era dudes who say they'd rather carry an M1. I suspect those that say that either never have served ... or were part of the really unlucky ones that ran into a lot of problems with the M16 early on.

On point with what you said - guarantee those people are only thinking about carrying just an M1, nothing else. No FLIC/LBV, ruck, ammo, etc.

... should probably get one sometime soon (especially since you don't have anyone to tell you no ). CMP has Field and Service Grades for $635 and $735 (OOS at the moment); but they do have Field Grade Specials (new production barrel) as well as M1C's and D's in stock currently.