Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MilSurp

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this isn't a new thing, but the single biggest win on that rifle is the "mag tap" marks on the stock. The rest of the hardware is just bonus.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I know this isn't a new thing, but the single biggest win on that rifle is the "mag tap" marks on the stock. The rest of the hardware is just bonus.
    Neat isn't it?

Funny - comparing a couple stocks I have, the GI (at the time) who had, all seated the bullets on different parts of the stock. Some did it on the back end towards the buttplate, others right below the op rod track.

... bought a tiger striped stock recently, guess I'll have to build it up.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  30190345313_15a7a35291_b.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  30.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a few of my mostly original 3/44 SA Garand. The first rifle I bought myself and by far my favorite.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GarandShooter View Post
    wow, I always forget how rough the machining can get on wartime production guns

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Well, don't forget that way back then the machining was done by people, not robots.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still waiting for Thompson to cerakote one Disruptive Grey

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Honestly - that looks a lot more like pitting than poor machining (I assume you are looking at the lockbars specifically)

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Well, don't forget that way back then the machining was done by people, not robots.
    Still beats Russian machining '42-43 ...

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm still waiting for Thompson to cerakote one Disruptive Grey
    I will cerakote a Hi Point before an M1.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Honestly - that looks a lot more like pitting than poor machining (I assume you are looking at the lockbars specifically)

Still beats Russian machining '42-43 ...
    Actually, just looking at the machining cuts, almost all of them are straight and utilitarian lines. Reminds me that those guns were produced as fast as possible with only one intended purpose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beautiful rifle and photo's. I can really appreciate the design and function of a Garand. A lot of folks have told me they just look to bland or utilitarian. That was certainly the idea behind them, but over the years, to my taste anyway, they've taken on a certain beauty. But I can sure say this. I'm glad I came up many years after they were retired. I really don't think I would have wanted to hump one of those all friggin day.
    Last edited by FortTom; 21 March 2017 at 00:44.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Beautiful rifle and photo's. I can really appreciate the design and function of a Garand. A lot of folks have told me they just look to bland or utilitarian. That was certainly the idea behind them, but over the years, to my taste anyway, they've taken on a certain beauty. But I can sure say this. I'm glad I came up many years after they were retired. I really don't think I would have wanted to hump one of those all friggin day.
    Thanks kindly. Nothing wrong with bland or utilitarian ... though, I've never heard it called that before. I've heard it called simple and majestic before though

Though I will say, if you ever compare a '45 rifle to say, an early or pre-war rifle - you will notice some variations. Things were definitely simplified over time.

Honestly given the time in which the Garand was developed, it was an engineering marvel - still is, if you consider the fact that the basic principles of the operating system are still used today (M14/M21). The only other well known competitors of its time were the G43 and SVT-40. I don't know much about SVT-40s, but I do know that the G43 had overgassing problems.

Agreed, would definitely not want to lug around 10+ lbs of wood and metal ... though apparently there's a lot of people out there that would rather carry an M1 over an M4

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a few more I found on my phone.
    Mostly original 1942 Inland. Sweet little shooter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GarandShooter View Post
    Gorgeous. That a RIA rebuild stamp I see there? Any cartouches on the left side?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Thanks kindly. Nothing wrong with bland or utilitarian ...
    Agreed, would definitely not want to lug around 10+ lbs of wood and metal ... though apparently there's a lot of people out there that would rather carry an M1 over an M4
    Ha..ha..yeah boy, unless they're older folks, who fought with them, they probably might rethink that. My dad joined in 1955. The M1 was the first rifle he ever carried (previously a fairly poor kid coming from coal country), before that he had a single shot .22 and a shotgun for squirell. He didn't know what to think prior to his first tour in 'Nam, when they issued and trained his group on the M16.
    I'd say that the modern guy who would rather hump a M1 all day, give him a 20K in the freakin desert, with gear, and 98 degree weather (feels like 105) once, and I'd like to see how many change their mind

All kidding aside, I still love them, and really don't know why I don't own a nice specimen. Maybe give myself one for my birthday or Xmas this year.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper