0 0%
  • Rainier Arms Rock Creek Barrel

4 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Barrel Choice for an SPR ( POLL )

Greetings WEVO Community!

I've decided to swap over my 16" Intermediate Gas setup to a traditional 18" SPR Rifle Gas setup.

I purchased the KAC FF RAS rail last year so this will be a somewhat accurate clone of the MK12 Mod 1 ( Still need to buy the Ops Inc. Collar + Brake ).

I'm deciding between 2 barrels.

First is the Ballistic Advantage .223 Wylde 18" SPR Rifle Gas
    http://ballisticadvantage.com/18-inc...rel-ops12.html

Second is the Rainier Arms Rock Creek .223 Wylde 18" SPR Rifle Gas
    http://www.rogtac.com/rainier-arms-2...pr-rock-creek/

If I buy the Rock Creek Barrel, it'll be from Mike @ ROGTAC directly. He's always given me excellent pricing so the Rock Creek Barrel pricing will still be more but a little bit more competitive with the BA Barrel.

What say you, WEVO? Opinions/Thoughts/Concerns/Comments?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Rock Creek line is a great shooter and accurate, but I'd consider spending a little more cash for a Rainier UltraMatch 18" SPR Rifle Gas.

But ... you really can't go wrong with any of your choices.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have much experience on a wide array of barrels or any of that, or even really what makes a barrel an "SPR" barrel... I am also not so much in the know on why a rifle length gas system would be preferable.

Might be a dumb question but if I don't know, I don't know.

If the goal is simply for accuracy then what's all the other stuff about?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    The Rock Creek line is a great shooter and accurate, but I'd consider spending a little more cash for a Rainier UltraMatch 18" SPR Rifle Gas.

Agree completely with UW. The Rainier 18" UM is what I used and it shot 1/2" with match ammo.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

I was going to say this, or the Rainier Arms 18" SPR/Match .223 Wylde 1:8 twist barrel. I run this on one of my builds:

Rifle length gas system, got the over-sized Rainier gas block and with some lube (and elbow grease) went on just fine.

This rifle shoots 77gr SMKs like a dream, smoothly and accurately.

Name:  SPR1.jpg
Views: 4105
Size:  473.2 KB

Name:  SPR2.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  421.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just another opinion to throw on the pile.

If you're looking to push accuracy potential, I would suggest looking at a barrel that comes with a matched bolt. Some companies will match a bolt to a barrel if you ask them, even if they don't advertise the service.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any reason not to look at Douglas? They're the ones that make the original. Sometimes you can find the Centurion Arms one for sale, though they go very quick....just checked and he has 6 in stock: http://www.centurionarms.com/product...lon--mk12b.htm These barrels are absolutely fantastic and also the correct SPR contour if you want to put the Ops collar on there. If I didn't have over $1K in car repairs for my 4Runner this month, I might almost be convinced to grab another one and put it away for later.

Are the Rainier barrels SPR contour? If not, that might not be the best choice only because the OP said he wanted to use the Ops collar. I'd love to rave about my Rainier barrel, but mine "lost" somewhere in Michigan (not Rainier's fault). Hopefully someday it will return to me attached to a receiver I sent with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not into knock-offs.
    Buy the real thing.
    http://www.centurionarms.com/product...lon--mk12b.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's an echo in here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Douglas barrel on a Precision Reflex upper. It's a tack driver for certain. That said I also have a 16" Rock Creek and I honestly can't say the Douglas is worth a third more. Real world both those barrels will shoot better than 99% of the shooters using them. I would assume the Douglas would last longer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    White Oak Armament....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by Stone; 7 April 2016 at 21:52.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

Are the Rainier barrels SPR contour? If not, that might not be the best choice only because the OP said he wanted to use the Ops collar. I'd love to rave about my Rainier barrel, but mine "lost" somewhere in Michigan (not Rainier's fault). Hopefully someday it will return to me attached to a receiver I sent with it.
    Brother... tell me more about this story of the lost barrel!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I say BA just because I want to hear how it shoots for you. :)

I was debating between BA, WOA and the RA Rock Creek last winter. When the Christmas sale at Brownell's put the WOA barrel at under $200, shipped, that made my decision for me. It's a great barrel, but honestly I wish I would have gone with ARP or BA. Apparently WOA doesn't know how to measure and machine a gas journal to .750 so you have this little cottage industry of "match" gas blocks that are .752. WOA are good barrels, no doubt, but it was a little frustrating and disappointing.

I believe I heard on the interwebs that WOA produces the stainless barrels for RA, just on the different blanks that RA provides.

It seems that there are several good choices and you probably can't wrong with any of them. If you think you can squeeze the extra performance that a $450 barrel gives you over some of these excellent sub-$250 barrels (WOA, ARP, BA, RA select or match), you are a better shot than me.

WOA: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod54526.aspx
    ARP: http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/32764

Whatever you chose, make sure you don't show up with pictures with a PEPR mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL!

I remember the grief UWone gave you over the PEPR mount. Don't worry, I'm a Bobro / LaRue Mount user myself .

As for the other suggestions, I really wanted a RA UM barrel before. My buddy got a 16" UM Middy, it's a solid shooter for sure!

I previously had an Odin Works DMR 18" Rifle gas barrel, but I wanted to try a 16" Intermediate Gas Barrel. Overall, the 16" Intermediate Gas is a bit finnicky and requires fine tuning with the Spring/Buffer + adjustable gas block. I'm over that setup and going back to an 18" Rifle Gas, didn't have any issue with my previous Odin Works. Since I purchased a KAC FF RAS last year, I'd figure to make a MK12 Mod 1 upper.

To answer a few questions / give some insight on my choice/s:

1. SPR Barrel is a contour that has a shoulder to fit the collar of the Ops Inc Collar/Brake setup. When most people talk about "SPR" style builds, it's usually an 18" Rifle Gas barrel that is either a clone of the MK12 or is inspired by the MK12

2. While Centurion makes a fine Mk12 Mod 1 upper and Douglas makes fine barrels, I'm not trying to make a replica with exact parts. Since I already have the RAS rail, I just need to decide on a barrel and purchase a milspec forged upper. Both the RA and BA are sub-moa guarantees. One buddy one of mine has a MK12 Mod 1 clone with a complete CA MK12 Mod 1 upper. It's a damn fine shooter, but with Black Hills 77gr Mk262 and the CBC MK262 clone, it shoots about the same/a little worse than a few other barrels that were tested the same day ( RA UM 16", Noveske Recon 16" SS ). If I did spend the extra $200ish, I would probably get the RA UM.