Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest way to clean your carrier groups

I'm curious how some of you guys clean your internal components on your weapons after a day on the range. I have a little pan of diesel fuel. I disassemble and throw everything in. I let everything sit overnight in the pan; pull it out the next day and wipe everything down, reassemble, and lube it up. Do any of you guys know of a faster, easier way? Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Buy a ultrasonic tank. For less than $100 the time saved is worth every penny. Big plus for cleaning suppressors also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @SINNER: Hot dog! LOL! Boy am I out of the loop! I saw one of those in 1987 on an old TV Show called "Beyond 2000." This guy was wanting to market them as a replacement for traditional clothes washers. A couple of decades later I guess that tech tree found it's niche. I will most definitely look into your suggestion. Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How many rounds are you firing for a typical day at the range? I don't really go crazy with cleaning...my normal post-range cleaning is about 15 minutes for an AR. Break down the BCG, spray with CLP, brush, q-tips, reassemble + lube. I also wipe down the upper/lower with a rag and run a boresnake through the barrel. Everything doesn't need to be spotless. Every 1000 rounds, I do a more detailed cleaning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I average about 300 rounds per outing per rifle. The older I get, the lazier I become about cleaning, but I try to have each rifle ready to rock'n roll within a couple of days of usage.

Edit: I use Hoppe's #9, a chamber brush and bore snake on the upper, and wipe down the upper and lower with a rag. If the upper and/or lower get grimy I hit it with gun scrub and wipe it out with an automotive rag real well; few Q-tips too. I shoot at least once a month if not twice. A few from the bench, a few more off-hand, several drills, et al.
    Last edited by DUX; 31 March 2016 at 15:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't clean rifles until they malfunction, or I get well north of 1k rounds on the gun.

For the BCG, which is essentially the only part I really "clean" at that point, I break it down all the way, hose it off with Slip2000 725 Gun Cleaner , drop the bolt itself, and extractor, into some Slip2000 Carbon Killer for a couple of hours, then hose that back off with the 725, hit it with an air hose (or, in hotel rooms, rinse it off in the sink) before I apply Slip2000 EWL and/or EWL 30, or grease.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm considering a piston drive from Superlative. Among the benefits, I hope to stretch cleaning cycles way out.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I'm considering a piston drive from Superlative. Among the benefits, I hope to stretch cleaning cycles way out.
    Don't use a suppressor then, it'll be just as dirty as a non piston setup. :)
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Curious.

What is your current "cycle"? What do you anticipate to be your new "cycle"?

Also, what is your current cleaning regiment?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Don't use a suppressor then, it'll be just as dirty as a non piston setup. :)
    That's reason #1 for the piston.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless it is a duty weapon issued to you, I will NEVER understand the logic of not cleaning weapons. I have a few older AK's that I kept spotlessly clean. True I only paid a few hundred bucks for them and when purchased they were truly considered a poor quality throw away. If I neglected those rifles they would in fact be a throw a way by now. Instead they are worth thousands of dollars in today's market. Almost like saying you don't change your engine oil in your vehicle because you only keep them for a few years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Curious.

What is your current "cycle"? What do you anticipate to be your new "cycle"?

Also, what is your current cleaning regiment?
    I clean each, or every other time i go out and I nofmally shoot up to 500 rounds in a day in the field. For cleaning, I disassemble, clean with Hoppe's and a brass brush, lube with synthetic, either Royal Purple, or Mobil 1.

Probably overkill but so what?
    Last edited by Joelski; 1 April 2016 at 09:07.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's reason #1 for the piston.
    I have looked into this and if you think for a minute that piston guns will be cleaner when running a suppressor I have a bridge to sell you.

Shooting non suppressed there may be some kind of odd difference but in that case I read one article where I guy took his DI gun to 30K rounds without cleaning before he had a malfunction. 500 rounds certainly won't make a difference.

As for shooting suppressed think it through. You have a round chambered... the gun fires... the bullet travels down the bore under intense pressure (PSI) which is what propels the bullet forward. Out towards the end of your barrel with a piston system you have a small port that operates the piston. But the primary PSI is still inside the actual bore. Introduce a suppressor into the equation and those pressures go up with probably 90% of the gas being captured still in the bore which causes back pressure, which causes gas in the face or whatever.

Just remember that energy will take the path of least resistance. If you have a tiny little port hole on the side of a barrel... and then you have a tube that has a MUCH bigger hole in it with much greater volume (IE the bore)...which one do you think it will take? Your blow back, soot, grime, or whatever is a sheer matter of high school physics. 90%+ of that stuff is contained in the bore throughout the whole process.

Trying to bleed off just enough to make your bolt cycle is only harnessing a small fraction of that controlled chaos that happens inside your bore. Shooting regular all that stuff is blown out the end of the muzzle for the most part. Add a suppressor and no.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have looked into this.. <snip>
    Obviously. I understand back pressure, thanks. I plan to try it out with the understanding that no system is better than its compromises.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @rob_s: I guess I over clean my weapons. Force of habit I suppose.

@joelski: All of my AR's are direct impingement so I can't speak to a piston driven AR, but the cleanest firing rifle I ever shot was the Vz.58. I can shoot 300 rounds out of that rifle and it's always been just a shop towel wipe down on the carrier to clean it and that's it. Just my 2 cents.