Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DUX View Post
    @Pyzik: You're realistic in my book, for whatever that's worth!
    <2 cents at a the local range where you've been dulling out this crappy advice

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to tell most of you that you're doing it wrong, in more ways than just the FF rails. Are you sure you want me to?
    an opinion is one thing but this^.......really? Cockiness and ignorance terrible things to mix

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Let me guess, you have one $500 AR and it's bad ass.
    You're like a Gucci warehouse, so your opinion is invalid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Disagreements on all counts, stated below in color.

OK, ok. You if you force me to. I am but a mere servant. :)

READ THIS FIRST: First of all, it depends upon what you want to do with the rifle, and we're talking about AR's here. For the sake of argument we're going to pretend like you want a 16 inch AR for Defensive, Target Shooting, and Hunting purposes. Second, we're going to assume you have not met "The Beast" or "The Elephant" yet. These are the ground rules because they apply to the greatest majority of shooters. We will also assume that you are not wealthy and are of average means.

1. Free Float Tubes do not do you any good, but they do make your rifle heavier, often unbalanced, and force you to wear gloves because they get really hot in just the plain old sunshine. They call them "Cheese Graders" for a reason and even the new ones have that issue depending upon how you grip or pickup your rifle. You are not a good enough shot and do not have enough premium ammo on tap to justify them. You shoot Tula and Wolf and Surplus Military rounds MOST of the time. (Nothing wrong with those rounds. Nobody and nothing is going to stand in front of them, ever!) Also, the improvement in accuracy is mostly a myth. It might make some difference in some scenarios for some kinds of shooting with some kinds of ammo, but by and large you're not gaining a thing by having one except potential problems that you will then have to remedy down the road. A lot of your sniper shots are in reality propaganda. The practice of having one guy take a shot with a heavy caliber rifle while a guy real close to the target takes a shot simultaneously is well known to anyone who's ever been in military combat arms. Most of us ain't Snipers and never will be. Save your money and burns on your hands.

Yeah, pretty much none of that. Most FF forends are now as light or lighter than most non-FF options. I assure you non of my FF forends have ever negatively impacted weight and balance of my guns, with the possible exception of an early generation DD "Lite Rail", but my Centurion, my Noveske, and CERTAINLY my 15" BCM KMR have been lighter. There's also nothing "cheese grater" about them, unless you're talking about pic rails. As for heat, put panels on. As for accuracy, it can and DOES make a difference, especially using a light barrel, when tightly slung up. Sling up tight on a non floated pencil barrel and you WILL have an altered POI, irrelevant of ammo type. Same story when loading a bipod.

2. Use a full auto weight carrier and an H2 buffer in your Carbine. It's the easiest way to time your rifle. Using lightened carriers just makes you have to make up the timing with heavier buffers and an H2 is enough mass as-is. Some guys go light carriers and light buffers. The rifle is badly mis-timed this way. It's way too fast and you will have stove-pipes and failures to extract.

Using a lightened BCG with a heavier buffer is retarded and has zero net gain. I DO have a rifle using a lightweight BCG, with a standard carbine buffer and spring. Rifle gas, adjustable gas block. Granted I don't have many rounds on that particular rifle, but it feeds perfectly and has had zero reliability issues despite my expectations that it might. It's also super soft shooting. Other members here also run light weight BCGs without issue.

3. Stop using special coatings on your carriers and start using more lube. People are running AR's too dry and trying to make up for it by special coatings. It's inefficient, overly expensive, doesn't work as well, and is very shiny, which is something you do not want on a weapon you might have to use in a defensive capacity.

Dude, really? That shiny tiny bit behind that dust cover is going to give away your position? What are you even trying to insinuate? Heaven forbid you're using any color anywhere else on you're gun that isn't black. I've ran phosphate, NiB, Melonite, and Ionbond BCGs. The NiB, Melonite, and Ionbond all clean up easier, AND I've never seen corrosion on them. I HAVE seen rust on a phosphate bolt that was being used in rainy conditions, and it was heavily lubed prior.

4. Stop using heavy barrels unless you are just a paper puncher. Heavy is bad for a defensive weapon. VERY VERY BAD. You're not going to have the high dollar ammo on an average budget, and if you had to use that weapon in anger the FEAR you're going to feel is going to shut down your higher level thinking and your accuracy is going to go to sh*t anyway. No matter how much you train, there is no substitute for not being tired. Being lucky is also very important. :)

Nowhere in the immediate above did you state a single reason why a lighter barrel would be more beneficial. It's documented lots of places that pencil profile barrels are prone to shift POI when they get hot. I've seen it happen on my BCM. Even medium or taper profiles greatly diminish this. Do they transition faster? They feel like it, but on a course against a timer there are WAY too many variables to attribute any gain or loss in time directly to barrel profile. All that said, taper profiles in the range of 25oz seem to be where I'm gravitating towards.

5. Do not put one thing on your rifle other than MAYBE a light and if you do mount it ON THE BOTTOM of the barrel. That is the optimal location for casting the shadow in the most beneficial direction when you're sweeping an area. (Additionally, never sweep and clear a building anyway. Burn it down or blow it up. If it's a home defense situation that I can see, but that's about it)

Nothing? Not even optics? A sling maybe? Are all your opinions on that light placement based on your years of kicking in doors for the DEA? How is shadow UP beneficial, instead of downwards where the rifle is already already blocking line of sight, superior?

6. A 4 coil extractor spring, black stand-off, o-ring or delta-ring under the extractor, and reliable non-crush anti-tilt magazines are the only innovations on the AR platform that are truly worth their salt during the last 10 years of hyper-marketing AR parts. Make sure that is apart of all your AR's.

The ONLY ones? Maybe you should call up Knight's and tell them that.

In Conclusion: You're making your rifles way too complicated and heavy and paying for things you do not need. I know it's a hobby to most and that's fine and dandy, but you wanted to know what I thought so I obliged. Thank you for reading. I shall now brace for impact. :)
    In conclusion, you're polluting a premier technical forum with with DPMS salesman crap. And superfluous threads that belong at a third rate comedy club.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Disagreements on all counts, stated below in color.

In conclusion, you're polluting a premier technical forum with with DPMS salesman crap. And superfluous threads that belong at a third rate comedy club.
    You're late...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    You're late...
    Yeah, took me a bit to get through them all. Lot's of post came in while I was writing that.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey UWone77! ^ SEE! LMAO!

Fella's, I'm glad you are happy with your rifles. I don't think they're anything I'd touch with a 10 foot pole, but that my opinion, and UWone77 insisted I give it! So, here we are.
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey UWone77! ^ SEE! LMAO!
    You still aren't answering the question. Exactly where are you getting your information, since you want to tell us all how we're doing it wrong? Let me quess... Your ops are so black that your rifle pales in comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    Let me quess... Your ops are so black that your rifle pales in comparison.
    You owe me a beer. I just spit mine out after that comment....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't disagree with your entire post. In fact, some of it has some merit. However, it just reminds me of someone who's spent time talking and reading about it, but not actually putting it into action. It's easy to say yeah that won't work, but the way you spelled some things out, I can tell you have no real world experience with those items.

Let's address the handguards. Free Float handguards do in fact increase accuracy. I'm not sure what you consider accurate as on your other post, you seem to be fine with 24 MOA at 50 yards. There are a lot of guys, even if they shoot at dirt and paper like a lot of us, trying to squeeze every last millimeter of accuracy out of the gun. Maybe you just aren't familiar with newer, lighter handguards, but there are several out there that are very light weight. The BCM KMR comes to mind. The cheesegrater reference is funny, but really very out of date. $5 ladder covers will alleviate that. Newer KeyMod and MLOK handguards are very comfortable on your hands and do not grate them. The only time I shoot with gloves is when I shoot either Full Auto or suppressed or both. Semi Auto Shooting with a FF handguard... I've never had an issue getting too hot.

Can most of us really just get away with MOE handguards? Absolutely, but there is a use for FF. Maybe you just like and prefer a FSB because you don't run optics? In that case, a FSB is the most solid gas block there is and I can't fault anyone for preferring FSB uppers. I still own half a dozen of them.

I don't disagree on using F/A Bolt Carrier Groups, that's the only kind I run. H2 Buffers are unnecessary for 14.5, 16" Midlength gas systems. Simply trying to make that combo a one size fits all is not doing anyone any good. A heavier buffer slows down the carrier for suppressed shooting, overgassed barrels, ect. Calling it "timing" tells me you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Lube, and coatings, I can agree with that. Use more lube, and phosphate carriers is fine. The reason coatings have become popular, is because they are in fact easier to clean, and have come down in price. Many times they are the same price. Nothing wrong with using NiB, Melonite, ect carriers.

Heavy Barrels? I don't think you know what a heavy barrel is, until I told you in another thread they are generally .936 at the Gas Block. Most barrels are government profile barrels that are .750 at the gas block, those are considered medium contour barrels.

Advocating a white light placement under the barrel at 6 oclock tells me you've never run a low light class or worked at night. That has the MOST shadowing. 12 oclock is the optimal position, off set at 1 and 11 oclock being a close second.

I think there have been plenty of innovations in the AR market, and it keeps getting better. Do we need every whiz bang piece of gear? Absolutely not, but your post has a lot of misinformation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    You owe me a beer. I just spit mine out after that comment....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uwone77, I'm going to address you right now and ignore the dogpile. I'll come back later and give you a more detailed description. I did want to go back answer the edit to one of your posts that I missed. "Where did I learn this" in essence. It started with my father, who was a Vietnam LRRP. That began about 11 years old. Then a roving band of friends many of whom were and a couple who still are involved in Special Operations. They share my viewpoints because I learned those viewpoints from them and then put them into practice on the range. I'm not a "Black Op." I just learned from a couple of them. :)
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with some parts.

I am by no stretch of the imagination an "expert" or an "operator" (Lord I'm getting sick of hearing that word outside of the correct context). I try to read and listen and soak up everything I can once I commit to learning about it. I understand it's poor form to speak from anything less than experience, but the difference I feel here as opposed to elsewhere is that I can occasionally say something pretty dumb and not be burned at the stake. I expect that the reason is first that I don't paint myself as an "operator", and that I tend to preface questions by acknowledging that I am asking for input, not expecting a bunch of "yep".

When fear hits us, those who haven't trained responses into brain stem reflexive responses, will shit their pants and scream like girls, all the while spraying bullets in a general vicinity of the bad guy. The guy with training can channel that energy and utilize it to fight back in an organized fashion. This works in a variety of applications; war, civil unrest, structure fires, critically wounded children. It's called critical stress and how you respond to it determines your survival. Whether you walk off the battlefield, out of the hood, egress a fully involved structure fire, or do everthing right on the way to saving a dying kid's life. It's all the same, and anybody who would have you believe one is more stressful is chock full o'bullshit. It's about being repsonsible. For your life, for your partner's life, for a family of 6, or a child just starting out in the world. They (you) are relying on you to produce a positive result. At the end of the day, everybody at the table is awesome. That's why it's called a brotherhood.

Oh, and there are guys here with 4 or 5 of each different configuration rifle there is. I envy those guys, but if they played guitar, they'd drool over my stuff. FFor me, shooting is facet. I'm a solid plinker. I'd go bonkers shooting at targets , but that's other guys joy, and I know if I ever want to get good at longer shots, I need to settle down and do some target shooting. To each his own!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fella's, I'm glad you are happy with your rifles. I don't think they're anything I'd touch with a 10 foot pole, but that my opinion, and UWone77 insisted I give it! So, here we are.
    Since you added that last bit...

You don't get off that easy sweetheart. You show up talking like a boss, and you think that means you can walk off back to the range unmarred with some kind if internet prowess. You tell us we're all doing it wrong, that most of are rifles are inept for defense, and that you have the answers, but you justify and prove nothing. So again, since you might be the 70yo denizen that sits at the range telling everyone how you once shot a commie at 2K yds with your M1A... Exactly what is your information based on, ie experience?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uwone77, I'm going to address you right now and ignore the dogpile. I'll come back later and give you a more detailed description. I did want to go back answer the edit to one of your posts that I missed. "Where did I learn this" in essence. It started with my father, who was a Vietnam LRRP. That began about 11 years old. Then a roving band of friends many of whom were and a couple who still are involved in Special Operations. They share my viewpoints because I learned those viewpoints from them and then put them into practice on the range. I'm not a "Black Op." I just learned from a couple of them. :)
    One thing you have to understand is, just because someone is MIL/LEO/Ninja/Samurai Warrior doesn't mean he knows jack about weapons. Most guys are trigger pullers, they don't know why or how it works, they just know how to eliminate targets. I know this because I work around guys who know nothing about the weapons platform they carry, but just know how to load and make ready.

I'm not saying your father didn't teach you what you needed to know, all I'm saying is, it's easy to dismiss something if you've never used or tried it. There's a reason why the AR has evolved out of triangular handguards, XM-177's, CAR-15's, ect.