Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

anyone use the vltor a5 system with a 14.5" middy

I've never heard anything bad about any setup with the A5 system with the exception of the mid length a5. I am building out a new lower and wondering if the a5 system would be the way to go. anyone here use the a5 system? like/dislike?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a few. They work fine, depending on the barrels gas port and A5 buffer weight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use them on everything, and they work fine on every barrel length I've tried. In particular, it made my BCM 14.5 mid function much more reliably with and without a suppressor, without having to change the buffer.

Only downside is cost and non-standard parts. Also some stocks can't collapse all the way on the A5 receiver extension.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have two sets installed, ordered three more sets yesterday to upgrade three carbines; three 7 position tubes from Rainier and three spring kits from a company in California that actually has them in stock. I run their "standard" kit - rifle spring and A5H2 5.3 oz. buffer. Never had an issue, and I like the "feel" during a firing cycle. Slippers is right on stock fitment, but I don't shoot NTCH so not an issue for me. The stocks I use close to position #2 for minimum and I shoot at 3 or 4 depending on optic.

I believe a friend says that a Magpul COMMERCIAL MOE stock will collapse completely and does not seem to have any slop when used on the A5 buffer tube (Mil-Spec).
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no clue what the gas port is. But it will be on a gen 2 era noveske 14.5" low profile CHF chrome lined barrel and a new 14.5" noveske afghan barrel.

I live in NJ and have to pin my imod stock in one position so fully collapsing isn't an issue.

I just have to figure out which buffer and spring will be best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A5H2, which is the standard one in the kit, will work fine with those barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great. Now I just need to find a spring in stock. Or should I try a sprinco green

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should add (not sure if it matters) I shoot mostly quality 5.56 but occasionally ae223. Never really shoot anything cheaper than that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My Springco green spring gives my A5 a bit more punch during recoil vs the standard spring. Just a heads up on that.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of people recommend the springco green, but I use the Vltor spring that comes with the buffer kit and/or colt rifle springs. Never had an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I may end up with the sprinco green for now because I can't seem to find any vltor spring/buffer kits in stock which is unfortunate because it has a castle nut with it which is the only other part I need

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good call. I'll start with that and can eventually change springs and or buffers as needed but at least I can be up and running for $30

Downloads
    Uploads
    This dealer at Gunbroker dot com has nine complete kits in stock. They also have just the spring/buffer/end plate/castle nut kit in stock in another auction.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely go one of the above two routes. That dealer on gab has a bunch of stuff. Weird that their actual website says out of stock for the same parts.