Downloads
    Uploads

Primary Arms 4-14x44 - Opinions?

Before I haul off and just order this thing like I normally would I figured I'd ask here first and see if anyone has experience.

Value seems to be right for what I'm reading about it.

This is going to replace my Bushnell 1-4x on my 18" 5.56. A 200 yard rifle. I'd like to take it out to 400 at times, but that range is NOT close and I don't go very often.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Before I haul off and just order this thing like I normally would I figured I'd ask here first and see if anyone has experience.

Value seems to be right for what I'm reading about it.

This is going to replace my Bushnell 1-4x on my 18" 5.56. A 200 yard rifle. I'd like to take it out to 400 at times, but that range is NOT close and I don't go very often.
    I was skeptical due to the disparity of claimed features vs price but I'm happy with it, applied in about the same situation as you intend. The glass isn't as clear as the XTR-II but well above what you'd expect for the difference in classes($$). The ACSS reticle is different than anything else I regularly use too, but very intuitive within that 200yd range. It takes some thinking (dope cards!) out beyond that for me. It's logical, just different. They have a mil-dot version now, if you want to call it that.
    Not my best scope, and the gun doesn't get called into use as often as others, but well worth the money for the application. Built solid, no problems after a year of occasional use.

Sent from my LGUK410 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently purchased the R-Grid version. Running it on my 18" .308 M5E1 build. I was shooting out to 670 yards without trouble. Glass is good, not great. Definitely above what the price class is. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Only photo of the reticle that I have. The house is ~310 yards out. Sorry about all the trees in the way.

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchTerror View Post
    I recently purchased the R-Grid version. Running it on my 18" .308 M5E1 build. I was shooting out to 670 yards without trouble. Glass is good, not great. Definitely above what the price class is. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Only photo of the reticle that I have. The house is ~310 yards out. Sorry about all the trees in the way.

Gawd that reticle is busy!

Still trying to figure out if this is what I want or not. Thanks for the info.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you know you're only planning on reaching out a couple of hundred yards, then yes, it's probably a bit busy. I'm reaching out a bit further and wanted the ability to do mil holdovers. The BDC reticles will do fine with most ammo within a couple of hundred yards, with "minute of man" expectations. If that's your goal, then it's probably a better bet for your use.

In all honesty, looking through the glass at this reticle doesn't feel too busy. It's actually quite handy to have some good mil scales for ranging and shot correction. For example, my rangefinder wouldn't get a reading on the target in my video above. I measured the target steel at .5 mils. The target width was known as 12". I entered that into the MilDot Master, and it showed me 670 yards. I then marked my location on the GPS, went downrange to the target, and the GPS reflected 667 yards.
    "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm curious as to why they chose a horseshoe reticle rather than two fine crosshairs for the center. It seems counter-intuitive to me to put a reticle designed for speed in a scope designed for precision. I also don't like how they used such a busy reticle. Chances are, you'll never even be able to use half the holdovers due to a combination of distance, mirage, and inferior glass quality. I'm not saying the glass in this scope isn't good for the price, but I can't see it being anywhere near the quality of S&B, Premier, USO, etc, all of which offer the Gen II XR which only has holdovers down to 8 mils, whereas this one has holdovers down to 13 mils. I could be wrong, but to me the reticle seems like a gimmick geared towards the "tacticool" crowd.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I viewed it as a poor man's Horus. The main advantage of having the subtensions is in mil measurement. For my rifle, I'm ~8 mils of holdover at 800 yards. Again, I'd agree it's probably busier than it needs to be, but still functional.

The horseshoe isn't very useful to me. The chevron is OK, though takes some getting used to. It actually appears as a much finer tip when the illumination is not turned on.