OK this is something I have been mulling over while considering my next build. I'm still pretty novice in comparison to a lot of you, but I'm catching on pretty quick and enjoy just shopping all the options that are out there. These days, I have found lowers for $35 to $450+ now they all technically do the same thing. My first AR was a build with a DSA ZM4 I won in a drawing post sandy hook, at the time it sold for $150. It works, it gets the job done and does it well. But two things I don't like, one being the finish, it shows scuffing pretty easy, the other is the flange the grip mounts to was too wide for for both the CMMG grip that came with my LPK and the MOE grip I purchased for the build. Needless to say some modification was needed. So obviously, those two things are issues you encounter with lesser priced/lower quality lowers. Billet lowers, by design cost more than forged, thats the norm for anything billet. I have 2 RRA forged lowers I picked up cheap that seem to have a bit better finish, and I miked the grip flange, and it is a bit narrower so I expect they will accommodate the grip better. I have my sights on a Spikes Honey Badger lower for my next build, why, I don't know. I just like it, and Spikes is a respected brand, so $115 to me, is a good price, even though I'm going to have to wait a few weeks. So my question is, where is the acceptable price range for a good quality, decent priced lower when you can buy an Anderson for near nothing, or get warthogs and hell breakers for 10 times that? I feel like at some point the line crosses over to name and flash vs functionality and reliability. I know now that my DSA lower is NOT worth $150, but this is an election year with a bleak outlook so hell, the DSA might be worth $200 in 8 months.

Now I ask this not taking into account politics and the state of the American public, because that can make these prices fluctuate in a way few can predict. I'm mainly wondering what your alls thoughts are on the line where a good lower turns into an overpriced lower, when IMO, there are a lot of very good ones sub $200. Also know, I'm not here to knock anyone spending way more than I ever intend to, its your money and your gun. I'd like to have a billet set, but for me the hobbyist, I don't know if its worth the extra money.