Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Noveske Barrel Longevity

If the WEVO hive has not figured it out yet, I am starting a new "noveske" build. I have sourced all of my parts for this build except for a barrel and BCG. If you followed my other thread you know that I was not originally intending the actually use a Noveske barrel because of the fact that I already had a different barrel and I was not sure if the cost justified the Noveske name on the barrel.

You fine folks talked some sense into me and I sold my other barrel and decided that if I am going to build a "Novesek", then I might as well just jump right in and build a Noveske. I was able to source a Noveske MUR upper and an NSR 13.5" rail in the classifieds of another site leaving me needing a barrel. I have decided that I am either going to go with a 14.5" pinned or 13.7" pinned Noveske barrel.

So, finally, here is my question. For people that have used Noveske stainless barrels, how many rounds have you shot through them before you saw a noticeable degradation in accuracy? I ask this because I still am having trouble justifying $400+ for barrel...but I am going to anyway. The reason I ask is because I think maybe one of the CHF barrels might be the better option for me.

I don't intend this rifle to be a bench shooter. Its primary role will be used in carbine training classes (hopefully) and may be put into a home defense role after properly vetted. Sub MOA accuracy is not a primary objective for me though it would be a plus (the barrel will be better than me shooting it). Knowing this I am leaning towards the CHF Noveske barrels for their longevity, however, Noveske seems to be known for its SS barrels so I am torn.

So how many rounds have you shot through your Noveske reliably without seeing your accuracy decrease? I am interested in real world use, not internet chatter.

Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just knowing your intended use I wouldn't even consider a SS barrel from anyone. That's my opinion.

There are many non SS barrels that are pretty damn accurate as it is.

And if you ever shoot one out let me know, but it will take you a while.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How many rounds do you shoot in a year? A CHF will last a lot longer than a SS barrel. For most people a SS barrel fine and it will last for years before you see any loss in accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really don't shoot enough rounds a year for it to be seriously concerning. I would say I may shoot around 3000 rounds a year. So you are probably right that it will most likely be fine for my uses. I am planning on doing some carbine classes in the near future, however, which will probably increase my round count significantly. If I can see 10,000 plus rounds out of a Noveske SS I think I could justify the cost, otherwise I am going to go with the CL CHF Noveske barrel and not look back.

I only look for battle accuracy out of a HD rifle, but prefer reliability and longevity above all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Noveske Barrel Longevity

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske...view-part-one/

If you haven't read this, maybe it will help ease your mind. Scroll about half way down to where they begin the barrel discussion. I have both barrels you are asking about and I would say it's a hard choice. I would say you would most likely never in your lifetime wear out the chrome barrel and there's a good chance you will wear out the stainless one in about 5-10 years, based on your estimation of shooting.

I will also add my chrome barrel is not as accurate as my stainless, but both are great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A long time ago John Novekse had an interview where he stated most end users were getting 15k+ rounds out of their SS barrels without any accuracy degradation.

I personally have not shot a Noveske SS barrel, but I HAVE shot the Noveske CL CHF barrels. My best friend and shooting buddy has had the 14.5" version since 2009. Neither of us are really super precision shooters, but I did watch him shoot a .58" 5 shot group at 50 yards with it, benched and using a scope. Ammo was either Mk262 or Hornady 75gr., can't remember which, but I'm pretty sure it was actually the Hornady. I seriously doubt the group would have been twice that size at 100 yards. Given that type of accuracy, ESPECIALLY with it being a CL barrel, I just don't really see any of their SS barrels being worth the cost.

ETA: Apparently I take too long to type. The FNG replied and linked you to the interview I was talking about while I was initially typing this.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 30 April 2016 at 17:47.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you consider a Noveske barrel includes a pinned gas block (and in some cases a gas tube), it's not that bad a deal.

Consider:

BCM SS410 18" barrel $309
    BCM gas block $45
    BCM gas tube $14
    Pin gas block at Rainier Arms $30 + shipping both ways $20
    Total: $418

Noveske 18" SPR barrel (includes all of above) $460

For me (I stress the for me part here), an extra $100 for a good barrel is a drop in the bucket compared to what I spend on ammo every year. If it lasts for 10,000 rounds and still shoots 1.5 moa with my 77 nosler loads, then I'll be happy. My Noveske barrel is from John's era, so I'm not entirely certain I'd buy one today. I don't regret buying the one I have, though. It's a laser.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 18" Spr switchblock does sub MOA with BH MK262. No reason to worry, they're still good. Just got this barrel three months ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It sounds as though the CL will suit my needs the best and still be pretty damned accurate. I still have to save a few pennies but I will make it happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first Noveske is a 14.5" pinned chrome lined barrel. I say go that route.

What type of ammo do you shoot? If it's not hand loads or higher quality factory loads will you even notice the difference?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's also not just a round count that plays into the barrel reaching the end of its useable life. The firing schedule plays a huge role. Shooting a hundred rounds a month from a semi auto 16" rifle til you reach 10,000 rounds is going to be different than shooting a thousand rounds a week from a full auto 10.5" SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, how many of us have shot out a barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm trying! It helps when it's Russian surplus though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I'm trying! It helps when it's Russian surplus though.
    You dirty Commie.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You dirty Commie.
    he better watch it. I've seen a number of your rifles that were #madeinamericaforkillinggodlesscommies