Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I don't feel good about a gun I don't trust
    I think you answered your own question. Re-using possibly compromised parts isn't worth a trip to the hospital (or the morgue).
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your BCG is done.
    Your Barrel is done.
    Your Upper is done.

Like SINNER commented, you had an out of battery discharge that damaged a steel barrel extension. Let that sink in for a minute. It takes a shit load of pressure to damage the extension that usually sees 10's of thousands of rounds. Not only would I not trust that entire upper to shoot myself ever again, I wouldn't sell it to anyone and have that liability on me.

Slippers and I have talked about AR10's extensively recently. Factory guns are the way to go for most of us with .308 AR's. Too many tolerances and not enough parts play well together like AR15's. Sucks to blow up your upper, but sometimes mistakes cost money. Just be happy you and/or a buddy weren't injured.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    So basically you had an out of battery discharge that damaged a steel barrel extension and caused visible physical damage to the upper when you removed it and you want to know if it's OK to sell it?

Seems like that question should answer itself to me.
    That whole short story I wrote was a way to sorta get it on the paper and out of my head and to arrive at the right conclusion , thank for the slap I needed to quit pussyfooting and just call it an expensive loss .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Your BCG is done.
    Your Barrel is done.
    Your Upper is done.

Like SINNER commented, you had an out of battery discharge that damaged a steel barrel extension. Let that sink in for a minute. It takes a shit load of pressure to damage the extension that usually sees 10's of thousands of rounds. Not only would I not trust that entire upper to shoot myself ever again, I wouldn't sell it to anyone and have that liability on me.

Slippers and I have talked about AR10's extensively recently. Factory guns are the way to go for most of us with .308 AR's. Too many tolerances and not enough parts play well together like AR15's. Sucks to blow up your upper, but sometimes mistakes cost money. Just be happy you and/or a buddy weren't injured.
    So what barrel & bcg now ?
    I haven't decided if I will sell the lower to fund a Xanthos or just add a new monolithic Maten upper .

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what barrel & bcg now ?
    I haven't decided if I will sell the lower to fund a Xanthos or just add a new monolithic Maten upper .
    Buy an SR-25. That's my game plan.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been lucky so far. All of my AR10's work... but several have had to be tweaked to get to that point. My plan is a LMT MWS.

Deadwing likes nice stuff, so I don't blame him for getting a SR-25... love to do the same, but I already have too much money in guns I don't shoot.

The only 308 AR10 barrels I've used are Rainier UltraMatch and Match barrels. Lantac E-BCG's, Rainier UltraMatch BCG's, and the occasional AIM BCG have all worked well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been lucky so far. All of my AR10's work... but several have had to be tweaked to get to that point. My plan is a LMT MWS.

Deadwing likes nice stuff, so I don't blame him for getting a SR-25... love to do the same, but I already have too much money in guns I don't shoot.

The only 308 AR10 barrels I've used are Rainier UltraMatch and Match barrels. Lantac E-BCG's, Rainier UltraMatch BCG's, and the occasional AIM BCG have all worked well.
    I like the LMT MWS a lot as well. I keep going back and forth between that and the SR-25. But my next AR10 will be a factory gun. Too many companies making too much shit that doesn't work well together.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking at the 16 in Rainier barrels and wanted to know if their is a reason to go with the ultra match at $100 more over the match barrel ?
    It will be run suppressed out to 600 yards maybe occasionally past that .

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking at the 16 in Rainier barrels and wanted to know if their is a reason to go with the ultra match at $100 more over the match barrel ?
    The UM barrels are Shilen blanks, some of the best anywhere. They will wear better than the Match line as well according to RA's own testing. Personally, I have both and I'm not good enough of a shooter to see much of a difference. If your goal is to shoot groups, it maybe worth getting the UM to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the barrel. YMMV

Downloads
    Uploads
    The UM barrels are Shilen blanks, some of the best anywhere. They will wear better than the Match line as well according to RA's own testing. Personally, I have both and I'm not good enough of a shooter to see much of a difference. If your goal is to shoot groups, it maybe worth getting the UM to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the barrel. YMMV
    I'm sure both barrels will out shoot me but I noticed that the UM offers a rifle length and wanted to know if it offers any more in terms of reliability vs mid length or is all this really not a big deal as I'm not Bob Lee Swagger ?
    Last edited by Sak007; 24 September 2016 at 22:24.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been paying attention to this thread as I've been building up at AR in 6.5CM. Finished the build this evening and will test this week. Fingers crossed. But I wasn't nervous about this until this thread!

Proof barrel, JP full mass BCG, JP SCS, and Superlative adj GB. We'll see if this combo works.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At that range there is no reason whatsoever to spend more money on that barrel. I can make a list of reasons if you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Been paying attention to this thread as I've been building up at AR in 6.5CM. Finished the build this evening and will test this week. Fingers crossed. But I wasn't nervous about this until this thread!

Proof barrel, JP full mass BCG, JP SCS, and Superlative adj GB. We'll see if this combo works.

Nice stick , I was planing on building a 6.5cm upper to go on mine but It will cost me more than getting a Ruger Precision & all the dies etc . Only reason I'm making my current one in 308 is I have over 10k worth of LC 308 brass to use .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    At that range there is no reason whatsoever to spend more money on that barrel. I can make a list of reasons if you want.
    Thanks for the reply that's what I was thinking but it's hard to overcome my GAS
    Gear
    Acquisition
    Syndrome
    that make me want the newest latest & greatest with no thought of the financial consequences ,sometimes it good to be single with no kids
    Ill get a Ruger Precision 6.5cm for the longer distance stuff

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post

Nice stick , I was planing on building a 6.5cm upper to go on mine but It will cost me more than getting a Ruger Precision & all the dies etc . Only reason I'm making my current one in 308 is I have over 10k worth of LC 308 brass to use .
    I have been doing a whole lot of reading and a whole lot of comparison between cartridges lately. For me and my opinions if you are shooting within 1000 yards, more like out to 800 yards or so the .308 is preferable in many regards. You can shoot a whole lot more, get a lot better barrel life, and the thing is .30 cal so if you hit whatever you're shooting at odds are it's kinda screwed. If the aim is actually shooting more and within those ranges I would go .308 all day long merely because it's so widely available.

A .308 can be taken out to 1000 yards. It is capable of going beyond that but probably not in in the AR platform. For one the rounds and bullets you would need to get there won't fit in a standard AR mag which would defeat the purpose of a mag fed rifle.

If you want to go beyond 1000 yards and/or it's primarily going to be a target gun there are other options. I am going in that direction now and so far for overall performance (I said so far) the most under rated thing out there is a .243. When you balance out the availability of stuff and the cost of components and shooting the thing a .243 is very compelling.

It's not some sexy new round but based on my initial looking around it has a whole lot going for it...in that arena that is.

I am still extremely tempted to build my own AR10 but on balance I think for the ranges I want to go to, the allocation of funds that I need to consider, as well as my style of shooting that a bolt gun would better fit my needs (for now).

Keep in mind though by the time I wake up tomorrow I will still want an AR10 though