Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    Thanks for the reply that's what I was thinking but it's hard to overcome my GAS
    Gear
    Acquisition
    Syndrome
    that make me want the newest latest & greatest with no thought of the financial consequences ,sometimes it good to be single with no kids
    Ill get a Ruger Precision 6.5cm for the longer distance stuff
    Why the 6.5 CM?

Please note that I have been reading up A LOT on this subject lately... so I am poking you in your brain to see 'why' you want that.

Based on my reading and comparing (at least on paper) you're just opening up a crazy money pit by trying to go the CM route and it won't offer that much if any better performance (for target applications). The 6.5 CM at 1400 yards... your DOPE will be about 51 MOA in elevation. With the .243 at that same range it will be 54 MOA. Yet you're telling me you want to spend about 2x to 3x the money on ammo just because the cool kids are all doing it?

Out to a grand you know what the dial up difference is between a 6.5 and a .243 all other things being equal?

It's 1/2 of an MOA. (using good match ammo)

You would have that much difference depending on whether or not it's cold outside or not.

I am actually looking at that Ruger as well, just in a different cartridge. It seems like it has a lot to offer... but then again I might get something else but I am narrowing down the caliber list pretty quickly
    Last edited by alamo5000; 25 September 2016 at 00:12.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Why the 6.5 CM?

Please note that I have been reading up A LOT on this subject lately... so I am poking you in your brain to see 'why' you want that.

Based on my reading and comparing (at least on paper) you're just opening up a crazy money pit by trying to go the CM route and it won't offer that much if any better performance (for target applications). The 6.5 CM at 1400 yards... your DOPE will be about 51 MOA in elevation. With the .243 at that same range it will be 54 MOA. Yet you're telling me you want to spend about 2x to 3x the money on ammo just because the cool kids are all doing it?

I am actually looking at that Ruger as well, just in a different cartridge. It seems like it has a lot to offer... but then again I might get something else but I am narrowing down the caliber list pretty quickly
    To be honest I haven't researched the .243 much and would be tempted if I can make .243 out of my 308 brass . My only concern is I don't know if it has enough knockdown for hunting here , but like i said I haven't done my homework on it but will begin now .

Downloads
    Uploads
    To be honest I haven't researched the .243 much and would be tempted if I can make .243 out of my 308 brass . My only concern is I don't know if it has enough knockdown for hunting here , but like i said I haven't done my homework on it but will begin now .
    Depends on what you're hunting.

Generally for animals smaller than a moose and you're good to go. Deer and such... not a problem.

And that's the beauty of it... it's a .308 case necked down to 6mm. You'd just have to resize and trim your brass and that's it.

Start reading up here...this blog is an excellent resource although he doesn't go into .243 at all...

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...rifle-caliber/

"The .243 is based on a necked down .308 cartridge case."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.243_Winchester

Downloads
    Uploads
    Or I could just man up and get a 50

Downloads
    Uploads
    What part of the country are you in again??

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on what you're hunting.

Generally for animals smaller than a moose and you're good to go. Deer and such... not a problem.

And that's the beauty of it... it's a .308 case necked down to 6mm. You'd just have to resize and trim your brass and that's it.

Start reading up here...this blog is an excellent resource although he doesn't go into .243 at all...

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...rifle-caliber/

"The .243 is based on a necked down .308 cartridge case."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.243_Winchester
    Funny I ignored the .243 post on there and read all the 6.5cm I just want the cool kids to like me

Downloads
    Uploads
    What part of the country are you in again??
    Elk & Bear country lol , I read an article that involved these 2 animals

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you good enough to use it 'way out there' though? LOL

$5 a round... what's not to love about a .50?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the links I'm gonna read up , seems a better deal if I don't have to hunt down new expensive brass .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Elk & Bear country lol , I read an article that involved these 2 animals
    I don't have elks or bears down here so a .243 works just fine. I am using my stuff only for targets... not so much hunting but I can hunt anything around here for sure should I decide to.

Having a 1000+ yard shooter and a hunting rifle are two different things IMO. If you want to have some fun with a Grizzly bear just build you a .458 socom. I am pretty sure that would take down a bear. He would have to be pretty close though. That would be the fun part....LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the links I'm gonna read up , seems a better deal if I don't have to hunt down new expensive brass .
    6.5 CM brass runs about 75 cents to a buck twenty five for each case.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you good enough to use it 'way out there' though? LOL

$5 a round... what's not to love about a .50?
    Don't have to be good from what I've heard from the 102nd Chairborne it just has to be within a couple yards of target and It will kill itself from fear .
    I got to shoot one the other day at the range and wow it was something else but a bit under powered for prairie dog hunting
    There is really no justifiable reason for me to get one except 'Murica

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't have to be good from what I've heard from the 102nd Chairborne it just has to be within a couple yards of target and It will kill itself from fear .
    I got to shoot one the other day at the range and wow it was something else but a bit under powered for prairie dog hunting
    There is really no justifiable reason for me to get one except 'Murica
    If you got the money and you want to take out a Toyota then get a .50

I've never shot a .50 (yet) but I have some offers out there...

I imagine if you did hit anything living with that big ass .50 cal bullet it would blow a hole about the size of a basketball out his ass. You'd have to go pick up the scrap meat that's hanging in the trees 50 yards away just to be able to make dinner...

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you got the money and you want to take out a Toyota then get a .50

I've never shot a .50 (yet) but I have some offers out there...

I imagine if you did hit anything living with that big ass .50 cal bullet it would blow a hole about the size of a basketball out his ass. You'd have to go pick up the scrap meat that's hanging in the trees 50 yards away just to be able to make dinner...
    I blew the door off a refrigerator about 20+ feet into the air , or so I was told because I was busy dealing with trying to control the very large & expensive gun after the left bi pod leg went out on me shooting off a hood . It was awesome

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now you're talking! Barrett M107A1 .50 BMG. Because 'Murica.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ