Downloads
    Uploads

Suppressed SBR distance shooting

So, I found a new outlet for fun. Out in Prince William Sound Alaska, waiting for my shrimp pots to stuff themselves with monster shrimp, my nephew and I hit on a new way to entertain ourselves for the average 4 hours soak time the pots need. Using a 'The Last Stand' target holder, and a 2/3 Torso IDPA AR500 target set at 550 yards. we tried pinging steel with a variety of weapons. Me with my frankenbuild 5.56 Umbrella build suppressed SBR, and he with his SIG 516 and a Weatherby 308 bolt action rifle. Gawd DAMN that was some fun!!!

Name:  DSCN1056.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  1.54 MB Name:  DSCN1067.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  571.8 KB Name:  SLS_1375.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  212.7 KB Name:  SLS_1381.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  564.4 KB
    Holy shit that was fun. I have a LOT of plans and ideas for next seasons trips! And I gotta say.. I freaking LOVE the Vortex Strike Eagle! May not be setup for an SBR but damn I was able to dial it in. Even with my plinking reloads, I was ringing steel far more than I was missing. I'll have video very soon.
    Last edited by SwissyJim; 19 May 2016 at 23:20.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok... video:

Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    550 yards on a 5.56 SBR with a 6 power max scope... That's some mighty fine shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jim... You got life figured out man.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    What part of AK? I may have asked before. I've been on a bunch of trips, abroad and domestic, and Alaska was my top trip with Big Mountain, Montana (not far from Glacier National) being my second. I don't live in a very populated or polluted place, but it was just...immaculate up there. Untouched.

It's great to be able to toss a target out and blast away wherever you are. People might freak out around here :)

And how do you like that Cole-Tac suppressor cover?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tappedandtagged View Post
    550 yards on a 5.56 SBR with a 6 power max scope... That's some mighty fine shooting.
    Thanks... altho the kudos goes to my nephew - pinging with his SIG516 and an ACOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Jim... You got life figured out man.

Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    What part of AK? I may have asked before. I've been on a bunch of trips, abroad and domestic, and Alaska was my top trip with Big Mountain, Montana (not far from Glacier National) being my second. I don't live in a very populated or polluted place, but it was just...immaculate up there. Untouched.

It's great to be able to toss a target out and blast away wherever you are. People might freak out around here :)

And how do you like that Cole-Tac suppressor cover?
    Sadly, I live in 'Los Anchorage' with 300k of my closest morons. But, I'm 45 minutes to Whittier, launch my boat, and Prince William Sound is at my disposal. We we at a Forest Service public use cabin I normally rent, but there are a ton of little bays that I could go ashore at and do this same thing. I'm sure there are some out on the Sound that would need to escape to their 'safe spot' when they hear the thundering sound of Freedom, but they are few and far between up here thankfully. I see/hear people doing the same thing as well... my favorite was a boat load of guys shooting clays from the boat right near their pots while they soaked. We started doing that as well after that, which led to the target stuff on shore.

As far as the Cole-Tac cover, I like it a lot. It really works well, as seen this week with the distance shooting. No real mirage to speak of, altho it was not fast shooting to really heat things up. But I like it enough I got one for all my cans, except the Salvo12.... dunno if they even make one for that! LOL
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    'nother pic from the trip.... just like this one for some reason
    Name:  SLS_1401.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  199.0 KB

We set some steel targets up in the woods around the cabin, occasionally with an exploding target taped to it. I was bummed tho...I had bought a Star Wars 'standee', the full sized cardboard cutout of a Storm Trooper pointing a gun at you and I left it at home. I was gonna waste that StormTrooper!! Next year...

Plus one for showing the scenic views we were subjected to, with my nephew
    Name:  DSCN1081.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  1.08 MB
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm.... I'm on the way to Whittier....