Downloads
    Uploads

SBR Questions and Troubleshooting

Sorry guys... I have not been very active here at all lately. I just got back from several months overseas.

Getting down to business now-- I want to discuss how things work and basically have a running thread to walk me through it as I go along. Keep in mind here I am going sheerly on memory as of right now because I haven't had the chance to go shooting yet since I have been back (2 days ago).

My SBR was approved quite a while ago and generally it ran fine but there was an occasional feeding malfunction where it would bend the brass in almost a banana shape. Also sometimes there would be deep gouges in the side of the brass (not often)...but there was enough to make me want to figure out what was going on.

I remember that I did discover that the magazine I was using (Magpul) wasn't for some reason feeding properly. So the problem could have been just a simple faulty magazine but I have not proven that yet.

***The first thing I want to do is to get a willing participant or two and do a little pass it along test, preferably with more than one gun and in various conditions...hard shooting, mag dumps, whatever... I will send you the suspected magazine (30 round magpul) and I want to see if you guys have a problem with that specific magazine as well. If so I will know for sure that was one of the problems. The mag is still pretty new and has not been abused in any way so if it winds up working just fine its is a freebie to whoever winds up with it. At the same time it will let me know what direction I need to carry on with everything.***

The other thing is, where I left off (before I left) is I thought the gun was over gassed so I have been wondering about options to tune it. Specifically I was looking at buffers and all that. I am thinking a heavier buffer might help but it is not my area of expertise. What I don't want to do is start buying a whole bunch of random parts just shooting in the dark until I happen to run across the answer. If someone has a spare heavier buffer that they would not mind if I borrow it for a while that would help out in the process of ultimate diagnosis. If anything happens I will either buy a new one, replace it, or whatever...but at this point I just want to run a simple test over a period of time.

I really don't want to try and throw everything at it at once. I kind of want to go one step at a time here. I don't mind buying parts but I don't want to buy a bunch of random parts that will ultimately just sit on the shelf. IE if I go out and spend X dollars on this and try it for 30 rounds and go 'nope'... it's just wasting money that I don't really have right now on a process that I don't fully understand (basics yes, but overall I am not the expert)...

Anyway I am going to leave the thread at that for now but you can see what direction I am trying to head with this. If there is something else I need to look at, or something else I need to try, or information I need to provide... just anything... let me know and I will do my best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be a guinea pig for the mag test.

Ric

Downloads
    Uploads
    What size buffer is in it now? I have an H2 (food scale bounces between 4.1 and 4.2 oz.) and an unmarked 3.0 oz. I can send you. The light one might be a good test if you are not sure it's over-gassed.

Edit: I also have a new Wolf extra power buffer spring I can toss in the box if you wanted to try some combos.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fairlanericky View Post
    I'll be a guinea pig for the mag test.

Ric
    PM me with your info and it's all yours. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    What size buffer is in it now? I have an H2 (food scale bounces between 4.1 and 4.2 oz.) and an unmarked 3.0 oz. I can send you. The light one might be a good test if you are not sure it's over-gassed.

Edit: I also have a new Wolf extra power buffer spring I can toss in the box if you wanted to try some combos.
    I am just using a standard one with a standard spring. I am not really sure how to tell or the numbers H1, H2 etc etc.... But if you can let me try those other things for a while that would be super awesome. Buffer springs and buffers and all that are not my area of expertise... so I will be relying on you guys a lot for this.

If it is over gassed should I be going heavier or lighter? Yeah... I don't know nothing about this kind of tuning... but it would be nice to try out various weights and see the results myself.

I will shoot you a PM with my info so whatever stuff you can spare for a while will help me learn more and determine what, if anything I should do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    alamo5000,

I received the suspect magazine yesterday. I ran it tonight during my weekly range trip. I did 2 runs of move and shoot and one 20 round mag dump(semi auto of course). I can report
    that the magazine functioned perfectly. No misfeeds, held open the bolt on the last round.

Here are my rifle specs:

Rainier RUC lower, Rainier upper, VDI Lifecoat BCG, Griffin Armament SNACH, Rainier 10.5" select 5.56 barrel, BCM GB, Standard carbine spring w/Griffin Armament S.O.B.(4.9oz), Griffin Armament Spartan3 suppressor.

Ammo used was Freedom Munitions 5.56 55gr reman, 68gr HPBT, 77gr HPBT and American Eagle 5.56.

Who's next in line to try out this mag?

Ric

Downloads
    Uploads
    alamo5000,

I received the suspect magazine yesterday. I ran it tonight during my weekly range trip. I did 2 runs of move and shoot and one 20 round mag dump(semi auto of course). I can report
    that the magazine functioned perfectly. No misfeeds, held open the bolt on the last round.

Here are my rifle specs:

Rainier RUC lower, Rainier upper, VDI Lifecoat BCG, Griffin Armament SNACH, Rainier 10.5" select 5.56 barrel, BCM GB, Standard carbine spring w/Griffin Armament S.O.B.(4.9oz), Griffin Armament Spartan3 suppressor.

Ammo used was Freedom Munitions 5.56 55gr reman, 68gr HPBT, 77gr HPBT and American Eagle 5.56.

Who's next in line to try out this mag?

Ric
    Keep on running it. Keep it. It's yours.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What ammo were u shooting? Like 223 , 556 , hand loads?

I would suspect a carbine might be too light unless running weak ass ammo..

Was gonna say beating up on the shell deflector but just seen the pic of the rifle I believe your talking about and it is a slick side..

Curious if you have tried a heavier buffer and if you did try the Wolff extra power spring? Always been curious about them..

Anyways more info and got any pics of the brass ? Also feed ramps all lined up and all good, not that it's probably the problem , just curious.

Also what barrel and gas port size? Std gas block or adj?

Just throwing a bunch of stuff out there...Up late and bored...lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just throwing it out there, but Also seen in the latest Rainier email the new KAK BUFFER KIT , curious on its quality and such and you can change out weights to suit your gun..

https://www.rainierarms.com/kak-ar15...ble-buffer-kit

I kind of want to try one now that I seen it..
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 8 June 2016 at 02:16.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    What ammo were u shooting? Like 223 , 556 , hand loads?

I would suspect a carbine might be too light unless running weak ass ammo..

Was gonna say beating up on the shell deflector but just seen the pic of the rifle I believe your talking about and it is a slick side..

Curious if you have tried a heavier buffer and if you did try the Wolff extra power spring? Always been curious about them..

Anyways more info and got any pics of the brass ? Also feed ramps all lined up and all good, not that it's probably the problem , just curious.

Also what barrel and gas port size? Std gas block or adj?

Just throwing a bunch of stuff out there...Up late and bored...lol
    First I have been unable to go shooting yet since I have been back (a week +) so I haven't tried anything recently. It wasn't some terrible malfunction but it was enough to make me want to tune it and see if I can make it better. So any tests are going to be done later on once I settle into something or find a small place in the world.

I shot hand loads and some factory ammo.

JerryR was kind enough to donate a heavier buffer and a heavier spring for me to test out so that is calling me to go run some rounds. Other than that I have done nothing. I haven't pulled a trigger in almost 6 months. Any trigger not just this one.

Don't know the port size but I have an adjustable block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sinner! :D
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Sinner! :D
    What the hell did I do now? Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    New report:

Thanks to JerryR he was generous enough to offer me some various buffer adjustment options. So to start everything off all I did was swap a standard buffer for an H2.

I have been running around doing a lot of stuff so I semi sort of unpacked a few things that I could find and loaded up some rounds. In between rain storms I shot just a minimal amount of rounds and I already feel like it made a huge improvement. It ran like a charm and seemed to have a MUCH better and even a softer feel to it.

I picked up my brass and it wasn't even scratched much less dented or dinged so who knows. That heavier buffer might have done the trick.

I still need to unpack boxes of stuff and try to set up to do more ammo so I can keep testing, but so far so good.

I don't know how to describe it but it just seems smoother than what I remember and for sure the brass looks better.

Once I dig all my stuff out of storage and put together more ammo I will do more extensive testing but so far the signs seem to be in the positive side.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You sure you want me to keep the magazine? I'll send it back if you want to try it again with your new set up.

Ric

Downloads
    Uploads
    You sure you want me to keep the magazine? I'll send it back if you want to try it again with your new set up.

Ric
    100% man. You were nice enough to give it a whirl for me so we are good. I have a case of them that I might not ever get to or through.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thank you.

Ric