Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Centurian C4 Rail - Could Not Be More Pleased

I purchased a BCM OEM 16" RECCE from Brownells a number of weeks ago and have been on the search for a rail for it since. I settled on the Centurian C4 and found one "used" by a guy who never mounted it or used it. I got it for $190, shipped. Installed it this morning and could not be any more happy with it. I'm very impressed by the build quality and the fit. Fortunately, I did not have to cut off and/or pry off any existing parts. It went on perfectly and everything is locked down nice and tight.

Here are pics:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. One of the nicest quad rails in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had never purchased or installed one myself before. My other uppers and ARs came with rails pre-installed. I asked around and the Centurion Arms C4 was universally the most commonly recommended rail system for my needs: I did not want to have to remove the barrel nut or mess around with that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got probably a dozen C4's installed on various uppers. I still prefer quads and you can't go wrong with the Centurion Arms C4.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicely done.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PTMCCAIN View Post
    I had never purchased or installed one myself before. My other uppers and ARs came with rails pre-installed. I asked around and the Centurion Arms C4 was universally the most commonly recommended rail system for my needs: I did not want to have to remove the barrel nut or mess around with that.
    The face that it uses the stock barrel nut might make it win out over a DD RIS II if I pick up a Colt OEM2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    The face that it uses the stock barrel nut might make it win out over a DD RIS II if I pick up a Colt OEM2
    Well that and the fact RIS II's are hard to find!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything is easy to find if you are willing to pay for it or wait long enough. Right?

Is DD no longer making them for civilian sales or do they just wait for a government order to start production?

Downloads
    Uploads

Is DD no longer making them for civilian sales or do they just wait for a government order to start production?
    Initially the reason given was that they couldn't keep up with .mil contracts and the civilian side. I think they moved passed that, as you can buy a complete DD gun/upper with a RIS II (in FDE, if you want). At this point, I think they know the rails are sought after, so they just make them available on a complete upper/gun, so you end up buying their full product and not just the rail. Seems like a smart move.

But this is just me reading between the lines from what I've seen online in the past.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its the OEM/Dealer Item concept. Fortunately, there are choices. The only people that have to follow that cookbook are the contract fulfillers; the armorers out in the wild sure as hell aren't going to wait on something as superfluous as a rail to return a weapon to service. Hell, depending on who you read/listen to, all of the branches are using stuff that should have been crushed ages ago. I'm not a doom and gloomer, but when I read that SOF can't get the tools they need to do their job, it worries me what the general infantry pools are making-do with.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything is easy to find if you are willing to pay for it or wait long enough. Right?

This is my understanding. No civvy sales because of their Govt. Contract, unless it's on a complete upper or gun.

But as gator alluded to, it wouldn't surprise me if that was their tactic. They know that the RIS II is insanely popular with cloners and they'll pay a premium for just the rail. However, why not spend a few more $$$ and get the entire upper? Other than the goofy "MK18" laser engravings on the side. I could do without all the engravings on their guns period.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This is my understanding. No civvy sales because of their Govt. Contract, unless it's on a complete upper or gun.

But as gator alluded to, it wouldn't surprise me if that was their tactic. They know that the RIS II is insanely popular with cloners and they'll pay a premium for just the rail. However, why not spend a few more $$$ and get the entire upper? Other than the goofy "MK18" laser engravings on the side. I could do without all the engravings on their guns period.
    I've heard more complaints of them being overgassed than their laser engraving. But generally I think all laser engraving is a bad idea unless it's deep and pre-anodizing

Downloads
    Uploads
    They should offer an "OEM" model, so buyers aren't forced to remove that horrid furniture themselves.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard more complaints of them being overgassed than their laser engraving. But generally I think all laser engraving is a bad idea unless it's deep and pre-anodizing
    Well, anytime I see a DD rifle or upper, I just assume it's overgassed. I don't recall that this was the case originally. I have a few Rainier barrels when they had DD make them, and they seem to have correct gas port sizes.

I got lucky a few years ago, and was able to score a M4A1 and MK18 Upper from a contact at DD without any laser engravings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't get the whole overgassed thing. I've never seen so many complaints about all the big names being overgassed. Noveske. DD. Hell, I read a post that said if you ordered a Colt 10.3" from specialized armament it would be overgassed too.