Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Best Factory Rifle for around $1500

I have a bunch of custom builds that I have done, and I love them all in their own way. At this moment, however, I am in the market for a high quality factory built rifle. Its is a rifle that will be run hard and that I want to be a go to for SHTF duty as unlikely as that may be. My custom builds are great, but I want the piece of mind of a rifle manufactured from the ground up that has a factory warranty. I have always preferred 14.5" barrels with a pinned muzzle device and not going the NFA route. I don't need to hear that it makes swapping parts difficult in the future because I am buying a factory rifle as to not ever mess with it...I have my custom builds for that. I have been looking at a few different rifles and have thought of these.

1. DD V11 SLW
    2. Spikes Crusader
    3. BCM KMR 14.5

Of these 3 rifles I have only handled the DD V11 SLW and I really like it. I also have a home build that is similar to the BCM as it has a 14.5" barrel and 13" KMR. I have found some good deals on the Spikes on Gunbroker that would leave me with enough $ for a decent optic (Aimpoint PRO or Meprolight RDS) within my budget.

Just looking for opinions on what I have listed and possibly get some more ideas on rifles I have not thought about yet. I am not totally opposed to a 16" barrel, but do prefer 14.5".

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No "Gold Stsndard"? Also, when TEOTWAWKI hits, who exactly will you contact for warranty service?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    No "Gold Stsndard"? Also, when TEOTWAWKI hits, who exactly will you contact for warranty service?
    What kind of incoherent rambling is this? LOL

I will have a warranty up until TEOTWAWKI hits. After that? I am just looking for a solid, durable rifle.

What is your "gold standard?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    From your list, they are all good options. The BCM has improved with the KMR Alpha vs the original KMR. However, I don't like the fact BCM doesn't pin their gas blocks.

If I had $1500 to spend on a quality factory rifle, I'd consider the following:

Option #1

Buy a Colt OEM 2, around $750. Buy the furniture you prefer, Rail of your choice, an Aimpoint PRO, a sling, and have enough cash left over for Mags and an Arisaka Light.

Option #2

Buy a used KAC SR-15. It's a buyers market right now, I've seen lightly used KAC Mod 0 and 1's for $1500-$1700 used. I bought one of mine with a Triple Tap for $1600. As far as I know, KAC has never had a broken commercial E3 bolt. Perfect for the dirt shooter most of us are.

Option #3

You don't need a factory rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    People yell "Buy a Colt!" like Biden yells "Buy a shotgun!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Concur with option #3.

If you don't have pinned gb's or staked castle nuts get it done. Otherwise split the remainder evenly between boolits and training.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    People yell "Buy a Colt!" like Biden yells "Buy a shotgun!"
    Only that buying a Colt is sound advice. Biden's just an idiot.

Like it or not, Colt is still the gold standard. I've seen OEM1 and 2's for under $700. I'll take that over someone's bubba build or PSA special any day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like I said...

I have one, and the t-shirt, so im not part of the "just as good as" crowd. I won't take it over my own stuff, either. I know what's in it and I had it nut & bolted by a pro. Good parts + do what the pictures say = G2G.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not on your list but I would take a look at an Aero Precision M4E1 rifle. I have several of there uppers and they run like a champ. Customer service has been on point.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-223...ete-rifle.html

I have an M5E1 308 rifle from the factory that has been amazing. I also have 1 factory built upper. It's been very accurate and reliable. You could get one of the M4E1 rifles and optic for under $1500.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    However, I don't like the fact BCM doesn't pin their gas blocks.]
    I believe BCM use Hi-temp Loctite or something like that on their gas blocks. The only problems I have ever heard regarding BCM factory installed gas blocks is that they are extremely difficult to remove.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, BCM is one of the few factory guns I'd buy when it comes to standard "DI". DD and LMT are also great factory rifles, I just don't care for the hand guards and furniture they come with. I don't have direct experience w/ Spikes, but my mental model doesn't put Spikes on the same list as BCM, DD, or LMT. I won't give Colt my business anymore. What I like about BCM is that you can tell the guns are built by guys who shoot and that drives them to innovate. Colt is a corporation trying to milk every penny out of their M4 relic.

I'd be inclined to follow UWone's advice and pick up a used KAC, though, if I really wanted another factory gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get a Colt or a KAC. Have you seen military KAC and Colt M4s/M16s? Most have been rode hard like a prom queen at a gang bang.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd probably go with this

https://www.shopwideopenarmory.com/c...-5-56nato-14-5

But I'm a fanboy.

If I didn't like that option I'd get a Colt oem-2, centurion rail, BCM grip and B5 sopmod stock. That's probably a better gun and you'd have money left over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Colt's usually don't come with the best finish (they are known to come a little dinged up due to getting tossed in a pile with other rifles) but if you buy a Pony rifle, you're getting a work horse. It's a tool and it looks like one. UWone has solid advice: a 6920 plus a red dot and other must-haves.

If you want something that is perfect and shiny...maybe look elsewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree 100% with the Colt direction if you must have a factory built rifle. I've lost count of how many AR's I have but my run for your life gear has two 6920's packed in it.

DD makes a nice rifle also but when I get to spending that kind of coin I rather build it myself. One of the only weapons I've ever sold was a Knight's a few years back and it was a fantastic rifle but again I rather just build one.