Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plate Carrier ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have tried to put this good info to use. Sak007, I did not end up with a full EOD suit.

I have purchased level IV multicurve esapi ceramic plates, 6x8 enhanced ceramic side plates. Comfort while wearing the plate carrier was the guiding force to this purchase decision.

I am looking for easy in and out and possibly releasable. The MAR-Ciras and Mayflower APC were mentioned in this thread.

There aren't any MAR-CIRAS in multicam to be found...

I don't want to go budget and regret it. Are there any carriers that have enhanced shoulder straps or padding?

Stone mentioned side plates being too bulky and limiting mobility. Are there aftermarket additions for the side plates? I want to be able to remove and add easily.

Thank you to everyone for the positive input.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe something not that comfortable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you worn a vest with all 4 ESAPI plates? The weight is significant IMHO. I've got a vest collecting dust because I moved to something simpler with front and back plates.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have worn a vest with all four plates and it was very uncomfortable.

Is there a carrier that uses easy on/off side pouches?

I want the minimalist approach with the ability to modify into full protection.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequim Shooter View Post

What kind of vest was it?

My old IBA wasn't uncomfortable, but it was just bulky as hell.

I have a Condor plate carrier now with side panels that can be removed pretty easily. I keep the panels installed but the side plates removed just for added MOLLE space. The front and rear ESAPIs are heavy, but train in it for a while and they aren't too bad. I've thought about getting an inexpensive set of steel plates for training just so I don't damage my ESAPIs doing drills, though.

Without the panels:

With panels:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequim Shooter View Post

I'm not sure I would trust easy on/off side pouches. The retaining mechanism would have to be very secure.

I don't know what your purpose for your gear is, but I decided against full protection, just because there is always a trade off with weight/speed. I went to a Tactical Tailor Fight Light carrier, which is more or less minimalist, as it carries 3 spare rifle mags, and front and back plates. I tried to train with the full 4 plates, but it's not going to work for LEO work IMHO, as the only time I would probably deploy it, is an active shooter, where I would take speed vs protection.

If I was in the military that would probably be a different story.