Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I wrote them asking about the add on tungsten weights they show on their purchase page and buffer choices. I'll report if they reply.
    One weight will bring it up to an H2 buffer, and a second will bring it to an H3 buffer. Price seems kind of high for the added weights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Should see if the weights are the same size and mass as normal buffers. Could potentially take an h buffer apart that you already own for an extra tungsten weight then.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yay something else I don't need but want

Downloads
    Uploads
    Geissele responded with the instructions on how to add and remove the buffer weights.

https://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.ne...structions.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads
    I asked if a milspec carbine buffer can work with the spring. The reply:

The reason the spring and buffer are sold together is that the ID (internal diameter) of the spring is somewhat smaller than a standard spring. While it will still fit over your standard buffer with a little effort, the spring would bulge out and create interference with the buffer tube which would cause it to drag. The Super 42 buffer is turned down on the diameter that the spring rests on to alleviate this problem. If installed (Super 42 Spring) with a standard buffer damage to the rifle or receiver extension will occur.
    I also asked if the tungsten weights would work in a milspec carbine buffer. The reply:

The weights should not be an issue with mil-spec buffers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    wow a braided buffer spring. that ive never seen or heard.

i also cant wait on the official announcement of the lantac ABS. i saw that and geissele's system yesterday on IG!
    IG: Sexual_Meatball

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting ...curious on some feedback I need to play with /tune a rifle or 2 and buying multiple buffers adds up to about the same price...

Humm...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered this, and am curious how it compares to a Sprinco Blue and H buffer. I also ordered the second tungsten weight to play with, as well. I am a fan of lighter buffers and heavier springs, personally, although some others would disagree.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I am a fan of lighter buffers and heavier springs, personally, although some others would disagree.
    For the sake of reducing reciprocating mass? Or some other reason?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    For the sake of reducing reciprocating mass? Or some other reason?
    I have found that even with a 5+oz buffer, when using mil-spec springs, the top round in a mag won't always strip fully and chamber. This is with a Noveske and a Daniel Defense complete rifle, using both rifle (A5) and carbine (H buffer,) springs, Colt mil-spec, new springs used.

Replacing with more spring tension fixed the problem in BOTH cases. The buffer's mass does not have the speed/momentum when released from lock-back to accomplish what the stouter spring does. I found improved reliability as such across the board with a lighter buffer and heavier spring.

The second reason is that when I increase buffer weights, the mass of the buffer flying back actually increases felt recoil, both to me, and random 3'rd party "Hey bro, shoot this rifle on both lowers..." people. I also notice more "muzzle dip" on return to battery. The worst offender was the carbine RE with H3 buffer. The Vltor A5 wasn't so bad with any weights about dip, but recoil did increase.

These are my reasons, as tested by me over about 5,000 rounds through various weapons. YMMV, and certainly opinions will differ.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I have found that even with a 5+oz buffer, when using mil-spec springs, the top round in a mag won't always strip fully and chamber. This is with a Noveske and a Daniel Defense complete rifle, using both rifle (A5) and carbine (H buffer,) springs, Colt mil-spec, new springs used.

Replacing with more spring tension fixed the problem in BOTH cases. The buffer's mass does not have the speed/momentum when released from lock-back to accomplish what the stouter spring does. I found improved reliability as such across the board with a lighter buffer and heavier spring.

The second reason is that when I increase buffer weights, the mass of the buffer flying back actually increases felt recoil, both to me, and random 3'rd party "Hey bro, shoot this rifle on both lowers..." people. I also notice more "muzzle dip" on return to battery. The worst offender was the carbine RE with H3 buffer. The Vltor A5 wasn't so bad with any weights about dip, but recoil did increase.

These are my reasons, as tested by me over about 5,000 rounds through various weapons. YMMV, and certainly opinions will differ.
    I agree 100%. The "cure" of throwing a heavier buffer in every rifle with so called issues usually results in causing more problems than it cures. One of these days I'm going to try the ultralight plastic buffer set up. I think it has potential if the spring rate can be increased enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just ordered one as well, so I'll give it a test. Probably not a necessity, but I needed to order a H2 buffer and spring for an upcoming build anyway.
    "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think a progressive spring rate would do worlds for all this fiddle-farting some rifles need d/t overgassing issues and such. Not sure why it hasn't been tried, but this is a good step in that direction.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got back from the range and playing with it. It does take a lot (not all) of the TWANG out, and is stiffer than standard carbine spring. I needed one extra setting opened on my gas block once it was installed. But, it ran good, stripped next rounds reliably, locked back when empty and all that jazz. Worth the price of admission? Your call... for me, it'll stay in as it did reduce the twang, and with my LAW folder I cannot use a silent capture spring so this may be the next best thing.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the update, Jim! What rifle setup are you testing this on? Standard H buffer weight?
    "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken