Downloads
    Uploads

Maxim Defense CQB Stock

Anyone running a Maxim Defense CQB Stock? The one with the custom, cut down JP Silent Capture spring? I need to replace the P.O.S. Ace Socom M4 stock on my 300BLK SBR - hold up to heavy calibers my ASS! I can no longer extend or retract the stock and I shoot 300BLK subs 99% of the time. I heard this stock (Ace) had issues, but the email I sent and got a replied to assured me the stock was redesigned and could handle anything. Uh huh. Sure.

Anyways... I love my JP Spring, and since the Maxim was designed in cohoots with JP it's in the top running position for being the replacement. Anyone have any input on it? Good/bad? I can't find much in the way of reviews on it... I'd love to know if you can swap springs like a standard JP setup, but I never got a reply from either JP or Maxim guys. That's why I'm hesitant...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads

Maxim Defense CQB Stock

I bought one and returned it. Liked the JP spring too. But the stock arms has a rattle in them both in open and closed position. Felt secure but loose tolerance. I hate rattles, if I can avoid them.

I bought the BAD stock to replace it. IMO, much better all around. I did have issues with it getting stuck in the open position after shooting. They repaired it for me and said all future ones would have the upgrade they put in mine.

ETA: I also didn't like that the Maxim wasn't very short. Defeated the overall purpose for me for a PDW.
    Last edited by fledge; 8 June 2016 at 18:24.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I bought one and returned it. Liked the JP spring too. But the stock arms has a rattle in them both in open and closed position. Felt secure but loose tolerance. I hate rattles, if I can avoid them.

I bought the BAD stock to replace it. IMO, much better all around. I did have issues with it getting stuck in the open position after shooting. They repaired it for me and said all future ones would have the upgrade they put in mine.

ETA: I also didn't like that the Maxim wasn't very short. Defeated the overall purpose for me for a PDW.
    Interesting.. see, that's the kind of review I was looking for. Altho by the stats, the BAD adds 4.75" and the Maxim adds 5.3, so not quite an inch. Was it that noticeable? I do like that the Maxim adds a full 10" fully extended, but if the rattle was that bad. I have an email in to them to see if that has been addressed.

Thanks for the honest review!
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the Maxim was pushing 5.5" IIRC. That's only about 1.5" shorter than a carbine buffer tube. May as well get the Deadfoot folder. I wanted as short as I can get for a PDW. Every quarter inch counts for me. Otherwise, Law Tactical folder is the solution.

If you need the added length of pull and want to delete 1.5" when stowed, and don't want a folder, then in my opinion the Maxim is the one. The rattle was annoying to me. It may not be to you. I'm anal about that stuff if there's an alternative.

The BAD version has a slick double spring buffer setup. It fails to cycle my 300blk subs however. That's the only drawback I've found with it. But I don't plan on using subs for PDW so it's not a negative for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I think the Maxim was pushing 5.5" IIRC. That's only about 1.5" shorter than a carbine buffer tube. May as well get the Deadfoot folder. I wanted as short as I can get for a PDW. Every quarter inch counts for me. Otherwise, Law Tactical folder is the solution.

If you need the added length of pull and want to delete 1.5" when stowed, and don't want a folder, then in my opinion the Maxim is the one. The rattle was annoying to me. It may not be to you. I'm anal about that stuff if there's an alternative.

The BAD version has a slick double spring buffer setup. It fails to cycle my 300blk subs however. That's the only drawback I've found with it. But I don't plan on using subs for PDW so it's not a negative for me.
    Actually, I'm not looking for anything specific - just a short replacement on my SBR, which, as it turns out, is my 300BLK that shoots 90% subs - so I guess the BAD would be out. I have the LAW folder on my 5.56 SBR and like it, but I can't do the same thing twice Hence the PDW stock. And yeah, the rattle would suck... noise like that gets on my last nerve pretty easy. I wonder if something like cerkoting the rods would fill in the gap enough to stop it

Man, I wish I coul dput hands on these kinds of things...
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's frustrating not having local stocking dealers of everything we want to check out. :). I ordered mine through Rainier and returns are simple.

Would be curious what Maxim says about the rattle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should clarify about the subs and the BAD stock is that I have only tested it with a V7 8.25" barrel, fully gassed and suppressed (Omega). Same setup works well with a A5H2.

Barrels with more gas *may* cycle subs on the BAD stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting Topic..
    I'm new in here, I hope can Be much know from this forum..Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't feel the rattle when I fondled it in store and planed on getting one and had it it my cart when it went on sale then boom out of stock .
    It was gonna be on my 300blk which I run subs 100% of the time so now i'm a bit hesitant , or i can build a new 5.56

Downloads
    Uploads
    Holy smokes man. That BAD PDW stock looks sick. I know what I am gonna be asking for for Christmas :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well... just grabbed one from SFP Tactical in the classified section here. I'm a sucker for sticking with my initial wants and hoping someone that had a bad experience was just a one time fluke Once I get it I'll report back on the tightness and operation. Also going to press JP on the possibility of swapping the spring options
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I refuse to pay $390 after Rainier had them on sale for $330 but I wants the fde damn you!!!!!!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I refuse to pay $390 after Rainier had them on sale for $330 but I wants the fde damn you!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually have an idea - it's going on my FDE 300BLK SBR, so I'm going to have my cerakoter guy do it in FDE to match the rest of the gun, and if there is any rattle to the rails, have the rails done too as it may add juuuuuust enough to stop the rattle. And if it's too much added on, I can sand it down or have him blast it back off. I was going to wait for a GenII FDE in heavy, but screw it, I'm too impatient.
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any updates on how your feeling about the stock ?