Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it worth it? (BCG)

I found this on the website for JP Bolts:

Whether we want to admit it or not, the good old Mil-spec bolt has had a good run, but it's long past its retirement age, and the JP EnhancedBolt™ is there to pick up where it left off.

Material matters, and the Carpenter 158 steel of the standard Mil-spec bolt is suboptimal for such a high-load application leading to a life expectancy of only about 6,000 rounds. In fact, standard bolts will start to show stress cracks on the locking lugs adjacent to the extractor cut after only 3,000 rounds while cracking at the cam pin hole and weak extractor spring tension only add to the problems of the Mil-spec bolt. Fine enough for its time, the material used in these standard bolts is simply not the best choice by today's standards.

The SAE 9310 of the JP EnhancedBolt™ is a superior steel alloy in virtually every way compared to the C-158, whether in its resistance to structural failure or life expectancy, both of which far exceeding the Mil-spec. Just as with the transmission gears for Formula 1 racers which are also made from 9310, the operational demands of a bolt assembly are ideally suited to this state-of-the-art material, with actual full-auto endurance torture tests prove it.

Beyond its material advantages, the design of the JP EnhancedBolt™ boasts many other advantages, including the addition of material around the cam pin hole to eliminate this inherent weak point of the bolt design itself. Each bolt also comes assembled with our proprietary Enhanced Ejector, Enhanced Extractor (.308 and Grendel) and Enhanced Gas Rings for improvements in every subcomponent. Yet even with these advanced components, all EnhancedBolts™ (excepting our .308 high pressure model, for obvious reasons) are fully compatible with the readily available Mil-spec subcomponents, including a standard configuration extractor—all the benefits of a state-of-the-art proprietary platform with none of the inconvenience.

And so goes the old argument. I know we have discussed it before but to me it seems like it could have something to it. Better materials could mean more life of a standard wear out part. "Carpenter steel vs the new stuff"...

I've sold some camera equipment (lenses) that I don't use so I might take advantage of a 4th of July sale or possibly just wait for something I really like later on...

I do believe strongly that one can easily over pay for things that show no material improvement over previous models. I am simply not sure who or what to believe half the time and odds are I won't be burning anything up myself.

I currently run the phosphate RA regular old BCG...and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I actually like it. I would buy a couple of those but they don't have em in stock. That said I am kind of curious to try out something new (Fathom, Griffin, and possibly some others).

I am kind of torn of what I should do... I don't want to buy any cheap out of spec shit and I want something that will compliment the look of my guns, but I don't want to over pay for fluff either.

Is it true what JP says in their ad (above) about the 6000 round life? Some of you guys that shoot the holy crap out of things over a long period of time... what's your experience?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, I don't even know. That description has been on their website for years. As for the materiel, the majority of what I run and have ran are C-158 bolts, usually either NiB or phosphate. I've yet to personally break a bolt, but I have been present to see one shear a lug right next to the extractor.

Unfortunately... I can't remember the manufacturer or materiel in the bolt that failed.

I do have a Sharps Relia-bolt, which is S7, but it doesn't have enough rounds on it yet for me to give it a solid thumbs up or down yet.

Umbrella swears up and down that 9310 is inferior to C-158, but I've never heard of a Fathom BCG having a bolt failure, and it's made of 9310 also.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Man, I don't even know. That description has been on their website for years....

Umbrella swears up and down that 9310 is inferior to C-158, but I've never heard of a Fathom BCG having a bolt failure, and it's made of 9310 also.
    Exactly. This is what I see as well. What to believe? What's the deal?

I see several that are from reputable companies that make em out of other stuff so what to do?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could always buy a V7. They have an unconditional warranty against bolt failure regardless of round count.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could always buy a V7. They have an unconditional warranty against bolt failure regardless of round count.
    Actually, just double checked myself, and check this out. Their lifetime warranty is only on their phosphate BCG's, which have a C-158 bolt. Their NiB versions have a 9310 bolt but don't list having the same warranty.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    $190 bucks. But sold out. I

The ones I have now are C158 and I got em on sale for like 110 bucks or something like that. Normally they are like $135.

Like I said though the cost I don't mind paying a little more but it does seem like there is a big fight about it right now.

Griffin makes one I like... Fathom does...this is why I am soliciting opinions here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're worried about it, stick with a known quantity. Centurion's bolts are C-158 and $110, they just don't have any "Gee Whiz!" coatings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    If you're worried about it, stick with a known quantity. Centurion's bolts are C-158 and $110, they just don't have any "Gee Whiz!" coatings.
    If I was going to buy some kind of cheap Anderson-like whatever I might be worried about it being in spec or breaking. What I am talking about is long term use...over time stuff wears out and stuff breaks. Even 'carpenter steel' might wear out. I just want to have spares. But if these new metals are better then why not try?

I am not into gee whiz coatings and all that. Makes little to no difference to me. As long as it's black I am fine with it.

I am sure the chrome/nickel/gold colors are fantastic but personally I'm not a fan of some of those things (looks wise) but it depends largely on the overall rifle and who's and what you are talking about.

I am just not so sure a $300 BCG is going to be worth it for me. Really though it comes down to money and quality. Bang for the buck while still having a certain 'bad ass' look to it.

What I might do is pick up a Griffin BCG while it's on sale and wait and get a different kind later on. Fathom obviously is on the short list, and if they are going to do a WEVO marked one I might jump on that. Otherwise I might just get one of theirs.

What I don't get though is CMT Tactical... their BCG's are $110 bucks with free shipping (good luck finding them in stock).

Then you have all the whiz bangery stuff that I am not sure about. $75 bucks to $300 bucks is the price range and it hurts my brain trying to figure out why and a lot of those come from good companies. Somewhere along that line (for me) there might be some bullshit factor.

That said if these new metals really do last longer then I don't have a problem with that. The companies are obviously very reputable but they are all over the map as far as what they offer and what they are saying. Two good companies both contradicting each other.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, just double checked myself, and check this out. Their lifetime warranty is only on their phosphate BCG's, which have a C-158 bolt. Their NiB versions have a 9310 bolt but don't list having the same warranty.
    That's interesting.

See.

I am not all that concerned that I am going to run the thing to death but at the same time it gives me pause as to where my money goes.

The business of BCG's is kind of all over the place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    Centurion's bolts are C-158 and $110, they just don't have any "Gee Whiz!" coatings.
    That's an option as well.

Again, this is the kind of thing that I wonder about. How much of it is hype and how much of it is real.

A lot of it is fashion. I really don't know about all the other jive. They lose me in all the marketing claims.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tool steel is expensive because it eats mill bits in the manufacturing process. That's why you won't see much advancement-wise in BCG steels until machining gets cheaper. The other forces of heat and pressure contribute enough to the wear process that improved steel technology won't make much difference. I've seen reports of Bolts lasting 15k rounds, but I think that's just luck and an outlier rather than attributable to any kind of metal or coating. The going price for Nitride BCGs seems to be right around 200 bones; less on good sale weekends (like now). I do not yet shoot suppressed, nor am I fiddler with all the mechanics of reciprocation; if it works, I leave it the hell alone and go have fun. Pick the BCG you like best and get it and use it!

PS: I picked up an AXTS nitride BCG a while back from ROGTAC for a hell of a good price. Look around and you'll find the price you want to pay!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick with companies known for good quality BCG's and you should be fine. Fathom, BCM, LMT, and Colt should probably be on the short list. I don't think it's possible to compare bolts based on just the metal being used, as they can go through different treatments and processes to make them stronger/more reliable than their raw form...not to mention the quality control for everything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what does everyone think of the Griffin Armament BCG? Worth a shot?

I might pick up one of those and like I said later on get a Fathom. I really dig Fathom and I am not just saying that because they are here on WEVO. It's a plain old compliment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the Griffin one because everything I touched from GA I have loved. Just saying. Call me a fanboy. Whatever. It's true.

I like the logo on it and I think it will compliment my gun quite nicely.

I have never known of anything GA puts out to be shoddy at all, and as a general rule they have clearly passed my 'no assholes rule'. Generally speaking they have been good guys to me.

So I figure it will be fine... and I won't be buying some POS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    So what does everyone think of the Griffin Armament BCG? Worth a shot?

I might pick up one of those and like I said later on get a Fathom. I really dig Fathom and I am not just saying that because they are here on WEVO. It's a plain old compliment.
    Griffin puts out great products, but I haven't heard much about their BCG's (positive or negative). I've got Fathom, Lantac, and Colt BCG's. The Fathom enhanced BCG is my personal favorite.