Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WEVO Pig Hunt?

Downloads
    Uploads

WEVO Pig Hunt?

My momma always taught me to share...so here goes. About a 5 minute drive from my house is an old lady with about 850 acres or so and she has a major pig problem. Pretty much they have even gone up into her yard and flower beds and everything so she's pretty pissed about it. I haven't gone over yet but my friend works over there and pretty soon I will go formally ask permission to go over and shoot hogs. From all accounts I will be neck deep in hogs with all the permission I need to shoot em day or night. That said I still need to scope out the property and formally ask but so far it's all sounding good. By second hand accounts I already have permission.

If things go well on our hog eradication mission I was thinking to maybe have a WEVO hog hunt. It would pretty much be bring your own guns and ammo and not many frills. But if you are coming from out of state bringing an SBR is up to you. If you are out of state no worries because there is no hunting license needed. Just basically bring yourself and some ammo and that's it.

Depending on how many people (if any) show interest I might be able to round up some local accommodations but don't expect anything too fancy. If you want to stay at a motel or hotel in town that is about 15-20 miles away so if you don't drive in you might need to rent a car for a couple days.

I've never really organize anything like this so I don't know what direction to really take. We don't have a helicopter but I have access to airplanes and pilots who could in turn get us a helicopter (maybe). I am not sure all the laws around that but at very least they might be able to fly over and direct us to the pigs...otherwise it might just be a good old trial and error old school on foot method.

Everything is extremely NOT organized at all so if you have questions I may or may not know the answer. I am thinking if we get 2 or 3 people to make 4 people groups for weekend hunts that might work out. 850 acres is pretty big but I can't guarantee if we would be on the hogs or not so at very least treating it as a getaway to do some shooting would be fine. If we get hogs we get hogs if not we just can enjoy shooting and hanging out.

Considering everything would be free you can't complain too much. (free except if you want special stuff like helicopters or airplanes, your ammo, maybe some food or sundry items, pig bait or whatever... and of course you getting here)

Before I go full on and try to do much of anything I am seeing how much interest there would be. She pretty much doesn't care if I go over but if I want to take friends I need to ask. We could either try to do it in one big group (which I don't know if that's a good idea or not for safety reasons) or if we can have smaller groups of 3 or 4 people. If it's small groups if people are willing to sleep in sleeping bags on the floor or whatever (in the AC) we might be able to put people up for a weekend, but like I said all that is TBD depending on interest.

At this point all I know is 5 minutes from me down a dirt road there is 850 acres overrun by pigs and the land owner wants them all off of there and she doesn't care how that happens.

Any comments, ideas, suggestions, thoughts, or whatever post em below.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be driving down to Marfa in January for a aoudad hunt. If we can put something together I will cover any costs including your ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I can swing it, this would be the shizzle.

Future hunts with a Helicopter and NV would put it over the top.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I'll be driving down to Marfa in January for a aoudad hunt. If we can put something together I will cover any costs including your ammo.
    Marfa is 9 hours one way from me. You can fly to France faster than you can get to Marfa. LOL

I do have to say that we probably cannot do these pig hunts during deer season because parts of the property are for a deer lease.

I will take your post as an 'I'm in' though LOL

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

We will have to look around and see if we have people that would let us borrow NV or IR. That gear is too rich for my blood.

Just having one or two people out would not be a problem. It would just be a simple hunt though. They are starting to try and trap em and do all sorts of things...but simple is still fun :)

In the next week or two I will go over and try to take a tour of the property. My part of TX is very covered in trees so helicopter hunting might be more difficult. I will ask around about how the laws are for shooting from an aircraft... I simply don't know. But getting an airplane or helicopter shouldn't be a problem if you're willing to pay for that (not cheap). I do think hunting from the air at night though is illegal. I think I read that they have to be after dawn and before dusk.

Anyway accomodating one or two people wouldn't be a problem. You guys might have to sleep on my parent's sofa or something or in sleeping bags on the floor but it would be comfortable.

I hopefully will start working again sometime soon so once I am more aware of the situation it will be easier to plan. (IE pick a long weekend or whatever) but long story short I will do my best to sort it all out so a few of you can come over.

For me it's very informal. 4pm... 'I'm bored'.... so I go over open the gate and drive around or stalk or chase or do whatever and shoot some pigs until dark.

There are local companies that offer a lot more formal hunts (even helicopter hunting) but the cost is kind of high.

Also I have access to a 1,400 yard range so if you've ever wanted to stretch out your long guns we could do that too.

I will see how many more people would be willing to come over but I will try to make something happen if I can.

If I start working soon I am thinking Friday night, Saturday and Sunday would be alright... then I could show you guys around or whatever but like I said I've never organized a hunting party.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

That said, anything you can round up... MP5...machine guns, silencers, night vision, infared... if you can think it, dream it, and afford it, you can shoot a pig with it.

About 30-45 minutes from me (North) there is a guy that runs aerial pig hunts. Up there the terrain starts to open up some more (less wooded)...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where would it take place? And when? I'm up at the top of the DFW area.

Unfortunately my primary AR is down atm (THANKS BCM!! -.- ) but I could grab my wife's 14.5", though it would need re-zeroed.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think about a plan to dispose of carcasses early on. Lots of landowners eagerly gave permission to careless hunters who left their kills where they fell, not really cementing repeat invites.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Where would it take place? And when? I'm up at the top of the DFW area.

Unfortunately my primary AR is down atm (THANKS BCM!! -.- ) but I could grab my wife's 14.5", though it would need re-zeroed.
    It's a pretty loose schedule as in... there is no schedule. I don't have a job yet (but hopefully that changes soon)...

For you to come down would be pretty easy actually. Just about 2 hours south on 45 and you're in the area.

Once I get full blown permission to do this stuff from the land owner then we can do it pretty much any time that isn't deer season. And of course when/if I start working again that would have to be taken into consideration.

Doing something for a day or two at a time would be super fun and pretty easy to work up...but I just think in my mind that if people come from far away they might get bored waiting around for me to get off work or whatever.

I mean for me I can go over any day no problem but trying to sort all that out when other people are coming... I don't really know. At this point and time I just thing it might be a 'drop in for the weekend' kind of thing...

Again no guarantee of pigs but reports are that they are pretty thick.

I will have more info later on once I can actually scope the place out. If I could find someone with NV or IR or whatever that would make night hunting a lot of fun. It would open up nights for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Think about a plan to dispose of carcasses early on. Lots of landowners eagerly gave permission to careless hunters who left their kills where they fell, not really cementing repeat invites.
    We can either eat em or we can dig a hole and bury them. We have a front end loader. But really I don't know if she cares. They are causing so much damage and killing trees and whatever she just doesn't care. So long as we haul them off far enough away from the house that she can't smell em it should be fine.

Disposal of a pig isn't really a problem....

And for me to go out there is nothing. It's easy. But trying to round up others and make a schedule and all that... that's where it gets complicated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where in Texas are you? I'm driving 1,700 miles to get there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am about half way between Houston and Dallas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1700 miles? Damn. Where are you coming from? Alaska?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    1700 miles? Damn. Where are you coming from? Alaska?
    No, that would be me!

My wife informed me the other week that for my 50th BD she wants to send me on a helicopter hog hunt, but I'm kinda balking at the money. Something like this might be a little more do-able...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    No, that would be me!

My wife informed me the other week that for my 50th BD she wants to send me on a helicopter hog hunt, but I'm kinda balking at the money. Something like this might be a little more do-able...
    Moneybags... Um I mean Uwone seems like he really wants to hunt from the air :)

More power to you guys. Its fun and all but shooting from a moving platform at a moving target through a very stiff rotator wind...that is a whole different skill. Ammo costs to do that successfully are going to be astronomical. It would be like trying to shoot a moving target from a boat on a choppy lake.

Just driving up on em and having people bail out of the back of the truck and unload on em... or do a driveby or whatever... that is good fun right there if you get a good group. I haven't been hog hunting in forever...

Again this is absolutely NOTHING formal. It's just something free (for me) and if people can come they come. I can't make promises about anything.

First thing I need to do though is figure out this whole damn job thing and if she will let me take other people out there or not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Best thing about this is brining my own weapon... guided places have you use their stuff. My biggest problem would be... bringing Mr.Giggles? 458Socom? Mr.Giggles, btw, is my Saiga12 reworked and tweaked by Tromix Corp to run flaaaaaaawlessly. Something about a 20 round drum of slugs that makes people giggle
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun