Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WEVO Pig Hunt?

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd be happy to help out your neighbor with her hog problem :) Might give me a reason to get some more gear I've been lusting after. Grew up in DFW, family in Houston...made that trip a few times.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Moneybags... Um I mean Uwone seems like he really wants to hunt from the air :)

More power to you guys. Its fun and all but shooting from a moving platform at a moving target through a very stiff rotator wind...that is a whole different skill. Ammo costs to do that successfully are going to be astronomical. It would be like trying to shoot a moving target from a boat on a choppy lake.

It's really not that complicated and the rotor wash doesn't really do anything to your round. There's a few tricks but if you set up shooting position correctly, you can take out a lot of the induced movement.

I've said this before, but just mentioning it again... Even if legal, I would be very leery of doing a hog hunt at night from a helicopter. I just wouldn't trust the pilot not to fly me into the ground, trees, wires, or whatever else may be around, even more so if the aircraft had no stability augmentation (which most won't in the price range most can afford).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    1700 miles? Damn. Where are you coming from? Alaska?
    Baltimore MD is the closest big city to me. Also driving to Idaho 3 weeks after the Expo for a elk hunt.

Next year is the New Zealand trip. Plenty of copter trips lined up there since in the area we are hunting there are more privately held helicopters than cars. They also have a Canadian goose infestation and apparently they fly over the flocks and drive them with the copters. Can't wait for that trip.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2.5 hours or so isn't bad at all. I'd be willing to make it down at some point if it all works out.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Holy shitballs Batman. I am here right now touring the property. I have my SBR and two 30 round mags. I've seen a dozen deer but I'm camped out waiting for some pigs to show up. There are several prime time good spots here. Wow.

I got the gate code and permission to come out any time I want day or night with anything and anyone I want to bring.

Oh snap!

But this is going to be a really big job. We could easily have 4 or 5 hunters no problem if you're hunting from a blind or whatever.

I didn't even get to see all of it. Just a small part of it and dayum.

It's dusk so I'm going to try and kill some today but we are going to start baiting them too.

This is just insane.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also thermal would be extremely useful here. Like extremely useful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. In.

Gotta find time though. :/

But still in.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gonna need a pretty big hoe for that hogpit, killer.

Bacon smoked over a feral pig funeral pyre!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The lady saw my gun with the short barrel and suppressor and asked "is that thing even legal?!" Quickly followed up by "I don't care. Just kill all the damn hogs!"

It's getting dark and no sign of a piggy yet. YET. I have all night just so long as I can see to shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sitting here looking at deer. They are all over the place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't see any pigs but I heard some in the thicket. It was very thick and brushy.

It got so dark that I could not even see to identify anything. I will probably go back Friday night...but next time I go I will take a giant spotlight. It will make life easier for sure. I could then hunt out there all night.

I wish I had a second Recce 5. That way I could have both ARs up and ready. SBR would be good for some things, but not others.

I am going to have to think through the best ways to approach this place. Initial thoughts are that if you hunt off a stand and just wait for the pigs to show up that might be the best option. When it dries up some and there isn't mud a foot deep there are other possible things to do as well (maybe).

But if we can bait em in that would be another option. Hell those pigs are coming right up in her back yard like 100 feet from her door. Completely destroyed the lawn. Technically we could sit on the back porch in lawn chairs and kill a half dozen hogs...

Like I said though, I am going to have to explore a lot more and figure out some ways to approach the place considering the limited gear I have.

I was in shorts, sandals and a t shirt and I could have shot 10 deer in broad daylight with a T2 and a 10.5.... but obviously, not only no, but hell no. (I'm not going to be poaching). BUT it was nice as HELL to sit out there.... damn man.... I am going to be testing all sorts of ways to get the piggies... I will also finally be able to test the flash suppression... I've never been shooting at night actually but that's about to change.

Anyway if anyone is coming this direction let me know and I will see about getting you on some pigs. It won't be a fancy thing and you might have to entertain yourselves until about 5pm.... but then we can do all nighters on the weekend if we want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds hella fun and me and my son were just talking about hunting hogs the other day..

Wish o wasn't so far away or id stay And hang out

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I'll be driving down to Marfa in January for a aoudad hunt. If we can put something together I will cover any costs including your ammo.
    Actually in Marfa or further south like Presidio?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Roughly which part of the state? Anywhere close to the hill country? My wife's family has a fishing cabin on the Colorado River outside of Lampassas that I make it too once a year or so, usually in March or April. It would be fantastic to tag on a day trip and then maybe bring a hog back to the cabin and do a little fishing while it roasts.