Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WEVO Pig Hunt?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Roughly which part of the state? Anywhere close to the hill country? My wife's family has a fishing cabin on the Colorado River outside of Lampassas that I make it too once a year or so, usually in March or April. It would be fantastic to tag on a day trip and then maybe bring a hog back to the cabin and do a little fishing while it roasts.
    Lampasas is about 2.5 hours from me. Its easily doable for a day trip. I am north of Houston in between Dallas and Houston. Depending on which direction you are coming from it would be pretty easy to route through here. Anything from North of Texas or the East Coast and it might add an hour to route through here on your way in or out.

As for right now I can take anyone out there but the hunts are not organized at all in anyway and supplies are somewhat limited. I mean they got nothing in way of hunting equipment. I need to get game cameras, feeders, possibly some hog traps, motion sensors, or whatever. Heck even half a dozen game cameras alone will give me some idea of where they are running.

It's just me and I only have one 4wd buggy so that's a lot of work. I still want to see a property map so I can know what all I am dealing with. I am seriously thinking now that I need some thermal imaging too.

My only slight concern though is that the people that pay for the deer lease don't start complaining. My understanding is they have it for hunting deer during deer season and that's it... but they all live like 2+ hours away in the city and I am 5ish minutes away so they couldn't do much anyway as far as day to day management or to figure all this stuff out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a map of roughly where I am. This is not at all exact but it should give you a better idea.

I still plan to try and host people if I can... passing through for a day or two... no problem... but there is a lot of work still involved to set all this stuff up.

Once I get a job it won't be as bad going out buying small things here or there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    This okie might have to make a trip down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Actually in Marfa or further south like Presidio?
    You are correct. Outside Presidio by about 20 miles is where the ranch is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    You are correct. Outside Presidio by about 20 miles is where the ranch is.
    They are quite a few, and even some Markhor. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As you know, I'm just down the road. Maybe an hour or so.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    As you know, I'm just down the road. Maybe an hour or so.

What I am doing now is setting out bait and later on once I get some game cameras I will try to observe what is going on in regards to the pigs. I mean people are more than welcome to come on out and sit out in the woods but there is no promise of success. 850 acres is a lot of land and trying to figure out patterns of movement and where they are at and all that is not really a small task. Once I get an idea if it's 20 pigs or 100 pigs and kind of get a better lay of the land it will be a lot easier to take someone out. But again if you want to sit out in the woods for a few hours you're not hurting my feelings a bit. But to proactively catch them and track them down is a whole different story.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Baltimore MD is the closest big city to me. Also driving to Idaho 3 weeks after the Expo for a elk hunt.

Next year is the New Zealand trip. Plenty of copter trips lined up there since in the area we are hunting there are more privately held helicopters than cars. They also have a Canadian goose infestation and apparently they fly over the flocks and drive them with the copters. Can't wait for that trip.
    Sweet, besides geese what are you gonna be hunting down under?..lol..man I'm jealous of you guys and the places and fun you get to have..shooting paper and such gets boring real quick..nothing to do up in my rock of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    What I am doing now is setting out bait and later on once I get some game cameras I will try to observe what is going on in regards to the pigs. I mean people are more than welcome to come on out and sit out in the woods but there is no promise of success. 850 acres is a lot of land and trying to figure out patterns of movement and where they are at and all that is not really a small task. Once I get an idea if it's 20 pigs or 100 pigs and kind of get a better lay of the land it will be a lot easier to take someone out. But again if you want to sit out in the woods for a few hours you're not hurting my feelings a bit. But to proactively catch them and track them down is a whole different story.
    Sounds like a fun time, also sounds like some kind of jeep/beater or razor like vehicle would be good out there also some dogs would help..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo,
    I'm definitely interested in making a day trip next Spring. Frankly, I'm happy to just spend a day walking around. I've got access to about 20-25 acres of hill country behind the aforementioned fishing cabin, but I haven't been able to confirm the presence of javelina. There is a big ranch I drive by on the way in and I need to figure out if I can get access to that.

Mustang, you need to get out more. WA is an outdoor/sportsman's paradise. You've got a ton of amazing options within a 2 to 8 hour drive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What options?

No cool pig hunting or such? Wish I had some hookups that needed some rodent population control or similar..

Just no good long ranges in my neck of the woods without driving a half day and hard to do at this time

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    What options?

No cool pig hunting or such? Wish I had some hookups that needed some rodent population control or similar..

Just no good long ranges in my neck of the woods without driving a half day and hard to do at this time
    No pig hunting here, that's true, and you do have to put in some time on the road to put some distance between you and Seattle. But the elk hunting in Texas sucks and their deer are scrawny. Once you leave the populated area of the Puget Sound, the rest of WA is pretty darn "rural", so yes, you do have to drive a bit for it. But you also have to understand that in Texas, a 2 hour drive can be considered "next door". People in Seattle complain about having to drive "all the way" to the other side of town. I don't think they realize how small Seattle is compared to most major cities.

One of the advantages WA has over Texas is that we have a ton of public land that is open to the public for hunting. In Texas, you generally have to either own your own land, know somebody with land, or find a "hunting lease". If you want some open land for long range shooting, there is a ton of public land out east of Ellensburg. And if you really want to get away from people, head out to Ferry County. Go here: http://apps.wdfw.wa.gov/gohunt/ and select the "public/tribal lands" layer on the BaseMap in the top right corner.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a fun time, also sounds like some kind of jeep/beater or razor like vehicle would be good out there also some dogs would help..
    We have a razor type vehicle. But I only have one... it would be just about impossible to get back in there without something like that.

Alamo,
    I'm definitely interested in making a day trip next Spring. Frankly, I'm happy to just spend a day walking around. I've got access to about 20-25 acres of hill country behind the aforementioned fishing cabin, but I haven't been able to confirm the presence of javelina. There is a big ranch I drive by on the way in and I need to figure out if I can get access to that.
    Closer to time we will try to work something out. So far I have two places that I can go to... one is the 550 acre ranch and that has a dedicated rifle range to 1400 yards...but he might not let anyone hunt out there because he does that for a business. He has a bunch of exotic game out there. Then again he might just say 'go on a shoot a few!'.... I haven't asked yet.

But we could possibly get in some long range shooting there. Normally I go out there when no one else is around so the 'schedule' is more like 'is anyone out there? No? Be right over'

But you also have to understand that in Texas, a 2 hour drive can be considered "next door".
    This is extremely true. We drive an hour or more to out to eat dinner. Driving an hour or two through the countryside you can cover a lot of turf. In the city (like Houston) it's a pain in the ass but people do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I'm up north of Dallas, and just crossing the city alone will add a good hour. Past that it should be smooth sailing.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Yeah I'm up north of Dallas, and just crossing the city alone will add a good hour. Past that it should be smooth sailing.
    If you left in 'off times' to avoid traffic you can do it in less than 3 hours.

Basically we have two things that we could do... long range shooting or we can they to catch or kill pigs which may or may not happen. That's why they call it 'hunting' .... The whole pig thing needs some more work and investment but it's there so if nothing else we can sit out in the woods as long as we like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    They are quite a few, and even some Markhor. Good luck.
    I was down there 2 years ago and had one of the best trips of my life. Addicted to Texas hunting now. Lol

Shot this Auodad at a little over 400 yards with a .338 Lapua.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 119
Size:  3.60 MB

Sweet, besides geese what are you gonna be hunting down under?..lol..man I'm jealous of you guys and the places and fun you get to have..shooting paper and such gets boring real quick..nothing to do up in my rock of the woods..
    Going for the NZ slam. Red stag, Sika deer, Tahr, and Chamois.

And I disagree with the Texas deer being small.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  3.73 MB