Downloads
    Uploads

Strike Industries Viper Stock

I first noticed this stock while I was surfing the internet looking at parts for my SBR. Based on their specs and other things I decided to give it a go.

Name:  dsc_0014.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  73.8 KB

I have been using a MFT Minimalist Stock and for some reason I just wanted to branch out and try something different. Part of the reason for that is because of my build with the MFT stock I sort of have to do a slight 'tossing hay' motion to present the weapon. Forward, up, and in...so basically I wanted to test other options. (Or I can just quit being lazy and just get it done with what I have)

First off the specs (from their website)

Product Spec
    - Length: 9.39”
    - Width: 1.75”
    - Height: 4.42”
    - Weight: 6.6 oz

Features
    - Slide on replacement for factory collapsible butt stock.
    - QD sling mounting points integrated on both sides in positions for optimum usage.
    - Enhanced cheek weld
    - Easy to replace and quick to install
    - Length of pull (LOP): 9.25″ to 12.0″

I have tried several Strike products before and I have never been disappointed. Their products generally have been pretty good so based on the specs and previous experience I gave it a go.

A lot of my comments will be based on my shooting style as well as direct comparisons to the MFT stock which a lot of people are familiar with the latter.

The very first thing I noticed with this stock was the butt plate is slick. Too slick. It's sort of textured but that does not help with this particular product. As it stands the stock will slide all over the place on your shoulder. That said the good people at Strike Industries are aware of this common complaint and are soon to release a rubberized butt plate attachment of some sort. That one addition alone would alleviate 90% of my initial concerns with the stock. However that non skid retro fit attachment is not yet available to the market. It also doesn't answer (in my mind) what is and isn't a correct weapons presentation.

Based on that one criteria alone (until the non skid attachment is available) I would not give the stock a "GTG" rating. However I will try to go into a bit more details about some of the other pros and cons as I see it.

*Very slick butt plate-which makes it a no go at this time.
    *To me the adjustment button to telescope the stock is too exposed. Based on a 5 minute look it doesn't feel very robust either.
    *My initial impressions are that the overall construction, specifically the material that it is made out of, isn't the highest grade. Let me be clear that I would not be under any impression that it will break or fall off or anything like that under any kind of normal use but if you are butt stroking coconuts on a day to day basis it might be a slight concern. To me though it just does not feel as robust as the MFT. It's just one of those situations where you just hold them in your hands and can FEEL a difference in construction. That's not very scientific but that's my impression.

The stock is advertised as having a 9.25" LOP. For sake of argument my understanding of what LOP is is the end of the butt plate to the trigger (more or less). With my rifle from the end of the bare buffer tube to the trigger is 10". So what Strike is advertising is the length from that turned under tip. If you measure from the back end of the stock the LOP is almost identical to the MFT with maybe some very slight variations.

One thing that is drastically different is the vertical height of the stock and the turned under tip. It is not nearly as tall as the MFT which in ways provides a great deal of benefit in some scenarios, however it can drastically alter your shooting style and stance if you let it. This can be both good and bad but it does open up some options if that is what you're into. I am no expert by any means so that could either be a strong pro or a strong con depending on what you do. The shorter height plus the drastically turned under tip in my opinion offer quite a bit of design potential that other manufacturers might try to go after in some form or fashion.

That said, at this time, in it's current format I probably would not recommend the stock at least until the rubberized butt plate is released. Even then though before going that route it's worth a hard look if that's what you really want or not because like I said, it does offer a different feel to the presented rifle when your shoulder is up under that turned up tip. Either way you shoulder it there is a lot less real estate to work with. Do you or don't you want to use that tip as your shooting platform? Good question. (I imagine it's partially a matter of practice and training)

This also brings up other things such as the cheek weld. To me the MFT feels slightly better although I could get used to the Strike. To me that is not a deal breaker but the MFT is a bit superior in my opinion.

The Viper also fits pretty snugly on a mil spec buffer tube. There is not a lot of wobble or rattle going on there.

I think if they ever release a version 2 of this stock it could be worth a look again but as for now it's not up to cop, SWAT, or other real world use standards. For me the MFT is staying put for the time being. That said in my opinion this stock or a variant of it does have a lot of potential but it would require some reworking of the platform and more input from professionals who use a rifle in that manner.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Based on your comments, I'm sticking with the B5 SOPMOD for my SBR and my current lower project. If it just had a little notch in the toe, it would be perfect, but I doubt there is anything 100% perfect for everybody. I might consider the MFT, but I'm not ready to spend on a theory it might work. I wish I had some polymer skills; I think I could do a mold that would give me what I need!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!