Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Alamo, I think Sak007 is looking for load data that mimics the Hornady TAP round. The main difference here is, I believe, that Hornady is using a faster burning powder than normal. A little bit of internet trolling suggests the propellant used by Hornady for this round isn't available to reloaders.

Regarding 55gr bullets, the Barnes TSX 55gr and Speer Gold Dot 55gr should give you good expansion out of an 8"-10.5" barrel at HD ranges. Plinking w/ cheap 55gr FMJ will likely give you a very close POI to the HD rounds, too, but always verify zero on your HD weapon with the rounds you intend to use in a HD role.

Personally, any weapon that I'd even consider reaching for in a HD situation has a few mags of either Gold Dot or Barnes TSX loaded up (factory loads).

FWIW, PSA has been selling the GD for $10/box lately. Stock up.
    For sure. Those Barnes bullets would work like a charm I think although I have exactly zero experience with them. For a buck fifty a round it could be an option. I hear nothing but stellar reviews of all the grain weights with those.

My propensity is to lean to a heavier bullet myself but the 55gr plinker rounds are super cheap.

As for matching the TAP load if you are reloading I don't think it will be a challenge at all to match the velocities. I had a bunch of notes that I packed away before my trip showing my chronographed velocities using 75 and 77 grain bullets but I don't know where those notes are. l have a box of 75 gr that needs to be tested out still but in my opinion just getting to those velocities is not a problem at all for an average reloader but so far the 75gr seems like my go to choice for the price/benefit ratio. I will let you know what load I come up with.

For me my likelihood of shooting anyone with an SBR is pretty low but my likelihood of shooting a few pigs with one is pretty damn high.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that you mention it it might be interesting to see the velocities of the 55gr Barnes out of a 10.5 and see what kind of terminal ballistics it offers.

It would be a possible great option for people who keep that 'special mag' for SD purposes.

My needs though is that if I go out and shoot pigs the price point for those rounds is a bit too much for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    As for matching the TAP load if you are reloading I don't think it will be a challenge at all to match the velocities.
    I only use the Barnes for my 300 BLK as that caliber generally has shitty terminal ballistics out of any other round. Gold Dot for .223, 9mm and 6.8 SPC. But, yeah, I went with the 64gr for the .223.

I think you're missing the point of the TAP SBR round. It's not about velocity. It's about not being a flame thrower. The velocities out of the round are actually kind of anemic, making it only a 75-100 yard round (if you want effective terminal ballistics) but the trade off is worth to some, in certain situations. Like, if you shoot people inside houses in the dark.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My needs though is that if I go out and shoot pigs the price point for those rounds is a bit too much for me.
    If you want to shoot pigs w/ an SBR, you should seriously consider the 6.8 SPC. The ARP 12.5" barrel and 90gr Gold Dots (XM68GD) is a javelina slayer. And it happens to make a very effective HD combo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to shoot pigs w/ an SBR, you should seriously consider the 6.8 SPC. The ARP 12.5" barrel and 90gr Gold Dots (XM68GD) is a javelina slayer. And it happens to make a very effective HD combo.
    Second this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you're missing the point of the TAP SBR round. It's not about velocity. It's about not being a flame thrower. The velocities out of the round are actually kind of anemic, making it only a 75-100 yard round (if you want effective terminal ballistics) but the trade off is worth to some, in certain situations. Like, if you shoot people inside houses in the dark.
    See some of my posts from earlier in this thread. I said pretty much the same thing. It's a total round design including the type and shape of the bullet.

If I could find some projectiles like that for a reasonable price I would definitely give em a go for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will test the one I got (for now) but I ain't ruling NOTHING out. :) It will give me a reason to expand my firearms collection LOL!

That is both good and bad... good in that I want as much stuff as I can get but bad in that I will be poor forever. LOL!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will test the one I got (for now) but I ain't ruling NOTHING out. :) It will give me a reason to expand my firearms collection LOL!

That is both good and bad... good in that I want as much stuff as I can get but bad in that I will be poor forever. LOL!!!

Try a 62/70gr TSX bullet or the 69/77gr TMKs on a hog. Those will kill it with ease