Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
Alamo, I think Sak007 is looking for load data that mimics the Hornady TAP round. The main difference here is, I believe, that Hornady is using a faster burning powder than normal. A little bit of internet trolling suggests the propellant used by Hornady for this round isn't available to reloaders.

Regarding 55gr bullets, the Barnes TSX 55gr and Speer Gold Dot 55gr should give you good expansion out of an 8"-10.5" barrel at HD ranges. Plinking w/ cheap 55gr FMJ will likely give you a very close POI to the HD rounds, too, but always verify zero on your HD weapon with the rounds you intend to use in a HD role.

Personally, any weapon that I'd even consider reaching for in a HD situation has a few mags of either Gold Dot or Barnes TSX loaded up (factory loads).

FWIW, PSA has been selling the GD for $10/box lately. Stock up.
For sure. Those Barnes bullets would work like a charm I think although I have exactly zero experience with them. For a buck fifty a round it could be an option. I hear nothing but stellar reviews of all the grain weights with those.

My propensity is to lean to a heavier bullet myself but the 55gr plinker rounds are super cheap.

As for matching the TAP load if you are reloading I don't think it will be a challenge at all to match the velocities. I had a bunch of notes that I packed away before my trip showing my chronographed velocities using 75 and 77 grain bullets but I don't know where those notes are. l have a box of 75 gr that needs to be tested out still but in my opinion just getting to those velocities is not a problem at all for an average reloader but so far the 75gr seems like my go to choice for the price/benefit ratio. I will let you know what load I come up with.

For me my likelihood of shooting anyone with an SBR is pretty low but my likelihood of shooting a few pigs with one is pretty damn high.