Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What Am I Supposed to do with a 12.5" Barrel?

I was at the gun show today with my pops and saw what I thought/assumed was a 10.5" barrel. It was an Aero Precision and the price was right. I figured I could use it for an AR pistol build. It wasn't until later that I discovered it was actually a 12.5" barrel. What the hell does a guy do with a 12.5" barrel. It's too long to be practical for an AR pistol build and too short to pin a decent looking muzzle device on it for a 16" overall length build. So my question is, why on earth would anybody ever desire, much less pay for a 12.5" AR barrel. An SBR would be nice but completely out of the question due to lack of stamp or funds for a stamp.

I need ideas if I'm going to find a practical use for this barrel!
    Last edited by old11bravo; 19 June 2016 at 04:09.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe try reselling for a small hit and chalk it up to a lesson learned? You could have it cut down, but the hit would probably be greater than the resell unless you know somebody.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe call the guy you bought it from and ask if you can work out an exchange for a 10.5" barrel?

12.5" doesn't seem to be a very popular length in 5.56 except for guys who want an SBR w/ minimal sacrifice on ballistics. I'm guessing those didn't sell well for AP because it looks like they dumped their stock of 12.5" barrels for $99 late last year then removed them from their website. BA still carries them on their website.

You obviously know your choices: Pistol, SBR, sell, "Pay it forward", or donate as WEVO T&E. :)

I'd build it up as a pistol and if I was happy with its performance, hold on to it until I had the funds to SBR a lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got two 12.5" barrel sbrs. One is a 556 and the other is a 277wlv. The 12.5" is my favorite length but I will admit they're not as fun in a pistol form

Downloads
    Uploads
    Throw a 12" Rail on it and shoot it.

Otherwise, I'd scrape up $200 by July 13th and get a stamp!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 12.5 is my favorite 5.56 SBR. If you want to sell it let me know your price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know it's not a Noveske, but John Noveske stated often that the 12.5" Crusader barrel was the best barrel he made.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 12.5" SBR. Works great

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of my favorite guns is my 12.5" Noveske; interesting to hear that Mr. Noveske agreed.

With a short thread-on can, the overall length is similar to a 16" gun and it's supremely reliable, accurate and fun to shoot without ear pro. I think 12.5" is the perfect length for an SBR/PDW type weapon in 5.56.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agonized over what length of SBR to build so in the end I just went with a 10.5 but it is still in the back of my mind to build a 12.5. There is little downside to a 12.5... the ballistics look good... I keep talk about 'might build'... when I should be saying 'when I build'....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fuck it!!! I mocked it up (the upper). I'm actually kind of diggin' the 12.5" pistol idea now. I can always get a stamp and butt stock later.

Note the fucking Aero OCD. On a side note, I really like the Aero BUIS!! They are smooth!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That upper looks pretty bad ass if you ask me. What length is that rail?

Will you run a suppressor or no?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    That upper looks pretty bad ass if you ask me. What length is that rail?

Will you run a suppressor or no?
    I just happened to have a 13" Aero quad rail in the safe. They don't even offer that length anymore. It's as if it was meant to be!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I were you I would scrape up every nickel you can and SBR that lower. That would be one bad ass SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aw shit...now you got me wanting to build a 12.5" SBR...