Downloads
    Uploads

Which centurion c4 rail do you prefer.

14.5" Colt barrel. I'm deciding between three setups.

1. C4 carbine cutout. The one that wraps the sides of th sight

2. 12" FSP (this seems impossible to find used)

3. Grind down the front sight and get a 12"

I think I'm leaning #2 and throw an x300u-a on 12 o clock in front of the sight. But any thoughts or pictures would be nice.

This will probably stay iron sights only for a while.
    Last edited by n4p226r; 19 June 2016 at 15:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a C4 cutout on a 10.5' and a spare 12" next to a 14.5" BCM. Note that the 12 is actually 12.5" OAL. I had a Colt 16" with the RIS II FSP cut, bit did not like the light at 12 o'clock high. Of the three I like the cutout best.

Also have a cutout (DD Lite) on a LMT 16" that I like as much. The DD is taller, but narrower. Both feel great with ladders.

Yes, I see I forgot to mount the rear buis.
    Last edited by Uffdaphil; 19 June 2016 at 19:18.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks great. I really like the idea of the cutout even if they are impossible to find.

As for the 12 o clock light that's not a definite. But I have the light and it seemed like an ergonomic place to put it so I thought I'd at least give it a try. I worry the regular FSP short one like your picture leaves a lot of possibilities since it really only adds a little to the sides compared to a 7" rail

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went with the 12" FSP and I really dig it. I actually bought the rail first and built for it.

I have been thinking about parting out that build, so if you're interested in the rail send me a message/email.

Downloads
    Uploads
    12" Cutouts are nice, but haven't seen one for sale in ages. Stick gave me one of his a couple of years ago, and surprised they aren't more popular. Just enough rail in front of the FSB for a light at 12 o'clock

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    12" Cutouts are nice, but haven't seen one for sale in ages. Stick gave me one of his a couple of years ago, and surprised they aren't more popular. Just enough rail in front of the FSB for a light at 12 o'clock

I think they are discontinued but I'm not sure. I've read it a few places but who knows. They definitely come up pretty regularly on the used market with varying cost associated. If I can find one at a good price I'll get it. But I probably won't spend a lot more over a used 12" non FSP version when I can just cut down the gas block

Did you do your Pull ups before stick handed it over?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was my understanding that the FSP rails were discontinued as well. Every company that makes them, or has made them, seems to have a hard time selling them.

like a lot of things in the business, what seems like a good idea and what actually sells are often two different things. FSP rails, Dissipators... anything having to do with stock iron sights is probably a non-starter these days. At least in any sort of volume.

I think the primary issue, from my own experience, is that they tend to lend themselves to putting a light at 12 o'clock ahead of the FSB, but then that leads to one wanting to put their thumb there, and that FSB gets damn hot. yes, you can wear gloves, but I don't think you should have to wear gloves every time you shoot your AR.

That was *my* experience. Ironically, I happen to think that the setup is better for iron-sight accuracy. If you think about it, the reason a free-float rail helps mechanical accuracy of the gun is that any force imparted on the handguard doesn't shift the barrel. Except that it DOES shift the front sight if the sight is attached to the handguard. The best scenario would seem to me to be to have the rear sight, barrel, and front sight all un-affected by outside forces/pressures so that they can remain in alignment at all times.

Of course, nobody wants to shoot irons, and building a rifle around irons when you're going to shoot it with an optic doesn't really accomplish much.

i've thought a 12.5" Kino upper from BCM with a 9.0 handguard behind the FSB would be pretty swanky. I've also considered putting a 12.0 FF handguard on my BCM Dissipator upper, since I can't seem to sell it off.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny. I'm a fan of dissipators, iron sights, etc

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    Funny. I'm a fan of dissipators, iron sights, etc
    DUX would approve.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of cutout rails

https://instagram.com/p/BG9sF1DCrDx/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    Speaking of cutout rails

https://instagram.com/p/BG9sF1DCrDx/
    I don't know if it's the case there or not, but I thought I'd mention that there are several people that have made their own cutout rails by... cutting out the rail.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    The advantage of the cutout rail is ease of installation is it not? If you have to pound out taper pins and pull FSB's I guess most people would rather just go with something else entirely.

Troy still makes the Delta line for those looking for a cutout forend.