Downloads
    Uploads

There is a benefit to buying surplus Browning Hi Powers (DONE!!)

You can explore, learn and experiment on them without worrying too much about screwing them up.

Today I did a detailed disassemble of the Browning Hi-Power I got from Bud's Guns. Talk about a sense of accomplishment and a real confidence booster for gunsmithing skills!

Tom (cruffler on TOS) has offered to let me use his blasting gun to strip the finish and educate me on the art of "rust bluing". What a top notch guy. Really want give props to this fellow firearms community member. Tom is taking the time to teach a curmudgeon like myself an indispensable skill. Great guy I tell you!

I will update with pics and results as this project progresses. Here is the detail strip of the Browning Hi-Power.

Last edited by old11bravo; 5 July 2016 at 16:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Projects are fun I have got into coating a few projects lately and am very happy with how this KG Gunkote stuff is holding up, but bluing is awesome looking when done correctly..

First try at kryptek and want to do some other projects now

Took this ugly citadel from this to its new OD/flat black look below also did some dehorning/knocking the sharp edges down/removed big billboard on slide and drilled out front blade for a dot of paint for better aiming..fun project

Before

After

A little titanium.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn!! I need to bring that Hi-Power over to your place!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    Damn!! I need to bring that Hi-Power over to your place!!
    Haha..Thanks...ill take that as a compliment ..

I'm no blown deadline, but with some more tools, and projects I think I could be pretty good at this, but seems like I'm late to the party as so many coasters out there and not being licensed puts a link in big projects per say..

Downloads
    Uploads
    The media blaster went tits up on us so we ended up wire wheeling most of the pistol. There is a video of cruffler going to town on it then some pics of the finished stripped product. Waiting for the rust bluing material that I ordered from Midway to arrive then I'll have more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4V...ature=youtu.be

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I applied my first coat of "rust bluing", let it sit for about 14 hours and carded it. I took these pictures just before applying the second coat of bluing. I am using Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown and Degreaser. I will probably apply a total of 3-5 coats depending on how it looks after each coat.

I realize it is far from professional looking but I am gaining several benefits from this experience.
    1) I'll have an idea about the process of bluing and what a science it actually is.
    2) The Browning Hi-Power will look better than it did when I received it from Bud's Gun Shop. (even if I just left it rusted!)
    3) Gained a great friend and mentor in Mr. Cruffler who has been guiding me through this process and generously lending me the few required tools.

Here are the pictures after the first coat and carding. More coats to come and more pictures of the gun when I'm finished!

Last edited by old11bravo; 5 July 2016 at 16:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Browning Hi Power was the first gun I ever shot. Later owned a Browning BDM. Nice to see your project coming together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's looking good!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought I would add some pics to show how scary it looks after it has rusted for some hours.

Looks like something you'd throw away:

Then you scald the rusted pieces of metal in boiling distilled water and it turns the rust to carbon (black and soot looking) which you then card off to reveal the beautiful bluing finish:

Downloads
    Uploads
    How caustic is that stuff? I had some things parkerized and that's a pretty toxic process!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are there flaws? Yes!! Is the finish better than it was when I received it from Bud’s Guns? Yes!! Total cost of gun from Bud’s was $349 shipped. Cost of bluing job? About $15 total for distilled water and the Laurel Mountain Rust Browning and Degreaser solution. Everything else my good friend Cruffler had for me to borrow which was basically a wire wheel, steel wool pads and water displacing oil to finish it with. The friendship, knowledge and encouragement shared by Cruffler however, was priceless!

Am I glad I did it? Hell yes!! I would do it again in an instant!! This really brought this beat up old surplus Browning Hi-Power back to life. Now I’ll go shoot the bajeebers out of it and build some character upon it. This one will bring me extreme pleasure and enjoyment to shoot. My trigger finger is itching to get it out to the range!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's fantastic. I've got an old rifle that I'm thinking about restoring, and I just may go this route. I don't think it's terribly valuable in it's condition. It will be better than nothing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    That's fantastic. I've got an old rifle that I'm thinking about restoring, and I just may go this route. I don't think it's terribly valuable in it's condition. It will be better than nothing.
    Precisely the attitude I went into this project with. Nothing to lose. You may come out the other end very pleasantly surprised. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions as related to my experience with the "rust bluing" process.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice job and I know from experience a lot of time and effort went into all of that and now you have a much better appreciation for it as you did the work yourself..

I'm a DIY kinda guy and always will be..

Makes me also think, don't think I've ever shot a hi power..