Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

9mm lower bolt catch has me flummoxed

My stripped PSA 9mm lower came with the bolt catch roll pin all the way in. (See photo from site) Any ideas how I am supposed to get it out enough to install the bolt catch assembly? The forward hole dead ends so I can"t just punch it out. Too snug for needlenose to slide out. And it doesn't look to be a screw out type that I can tell. Smaller than my tiniest allen wrench.

Just emailed PSA, but I'm irked having to wait for reg business hours. Especially if the solution is something simple my old noodle just can't process.

The two screws forward have no connection to bolt catch.

“ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads

9mm lower bolt catch has me flummoxed

It's an Allen screw that you back out just like most billet style AR-15's.

Edit: pic of my JBO for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dstrbdmedic167; 25 June 2016 at 16:55.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Guess you can tell all my other lowers are forged. Thanks. I'll have to get some smaller allens.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    no worries glad to help. get some itty bitty allen wrenches and you'll be GTG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Am I a bad person for LOL'ing at this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure you are not alone, Stick.. I'm laughing at my pathetic self. After beaucoup lowers I assumed I knew it all. I just now screwed in the catch and on to the next stump-the-Phil billet mystery. Next up: An SBR forged lower to regain some self respect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    I'm sure you are not alone, Stick.. I'm laughing at my pathetic self. After beaucoup lowers I assumed I knew it all. I just now screwed in the catch and on to the next stump-the-Phil billet mystery. Next up: An SBR forged lower to regain some self respect.
    SBR'ing a lower to redeem yourself... that's legit!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The threaded bolt catch pin is a very polarizing subject on the interwebs. I for one think all the threaded pins are a great innovation. Others feel it upsets the earth's magnetic field, in addition to making your rifle explode in a shower of failed parts. Enjoy the revelation and fewer scratches!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it's finally finished. Definitely not a fun build like the dozen or so others I've done. I do like the screwed bolt catch pin, but not sure on the captured saftey detent/spring. Does not help having to wrangle the operation in my lap cuz no 9mm vise block. The free range carpet detent herd is larger now. It's a well balanced gun a little on the heavy side due to the porcine BCG and 8.5 oz buffer. 6lbs 13 with no sights.

The QC on the lower is second rate. I had to chip out metal flashing in a takedown hole and the grip detent hole was completely closed. Just a couple minutes with a punch and round file to fix, bit still. The biggest dissapointment is not a PSA fault. While the factory Glock and Magpul mags drop free, the ETS only do so empty. Loaded, the body swells so much that some I can't fully seat at all and those that do insert I have to wedge the gun muzzle down against my leg to pry them out. I can see the scrape marks in the mag well, but not sure if I want to dremel away and chance the other mags getting loose. Five 31 mags wasted if I don't though. The same ETS mags work fine in my 2 G19s. I do love the 22 rounders.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    The threaded bolt catch pin is a very polarizing subject on the interwebs. I for one think all the threaded pins are a great innovation. Others feel it upsets the earth's magnetic field, in addition to making your rifle explode in a shower of failed parts. Enjoy the revelation and fewer scratches!
    I love the threaded pins. Haven't had one back out on me yet. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a F/A Lower and shot bad guys all day for a living.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update: With 29 rounds the ETS 31s no longer bind. I can live wirh that. Now I see that I can't lock the bolt open manually. The bcg pulls back a good 1/8-1/4" too little for the bolt catch to catch. Another new one on me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I love the threaded pins. Haven't had one back out on me yet. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a F/A Lower and shot bad guys all day for a living.
    Roger that. I don't think out kind of shooting imparts enough vibration, oscillation, or whatever other movement to back screws out on that plane, or any others.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it's finally finished.
    Seriously? You came here with an "it's finished!" post and didn't bring any pictures? Weak!

The free range carpet detent herd is larger now.
    Ok, that's funny, so I'll give you one more day to post pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, it was dark out and I was sick of dealing with it. New morning and It's all good. Well, almost all. Notice my one last problem?

The Comp M3 is old and hack-painted, but still too good for a pistol cal toy. Will replace with a PA dot when I find it. Spare Troy BUIS. ACT trigger that feels smooth. May pop in some JP springs for a 4.5 lb pull later. Green Magpul is not my fave, but it's gotta go somewhere and will make easy to ID in the sock burqa.

I hear the blowback has a bit of a kick so may get the cheap PSA brake if needed. Still not sure if an EP buffer spring will be needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Managed to get a few toes into the picture!