Downloads
    Uploads

Video of a Hero Cop (Turkey) (Discussion)

Here is a leaked video of what appears to be a hero cop during the Turkish airport attacks.

Makes you wonder a lot about concealed carry (here) and what could happen or what to do in certain situations.

There were at least three terrorists armed with AK47s and suicide vests all spread out on various levels of the terminal. This one got ambush dropped by a cop with a sidearm. Caliber unknown but probably 9mm.

The terrorist was still alive and managed to detonate but not before many people were able to get clear.

https://twitter.com/ezkici/status/747900101729861636

At the end of the day the element of surprise seemed to work, but I would like to hear the opinions of other more trained people.

My take away:

1. The threat was clearly defined. There was no doubt about intentions here.
    2. Cop used good tactics. Ambush the bad guy.
    3. No 'stop' 'freeze' or any of that movie bullshit. Just straight on the trigger. No hesitation.

What do you guys think? Just posting for discussion purposes only.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First and foremost - I am NOT "trained people"; just an old fart with no sense of humor about stuff like this.

Having said that, actions taken were (IMHO) very well executed. Man down with no immediate collateral damage or innocent injuries. Approaching the person shot, he was able to determine a vest was being deployed. He was able to warn and withdraw; possibly saving lives. I think he did the right thing based upon what can be seen. A head shot before retreating may, or may not, have helped. Could have been using a "dead-man switch". No way to know from the video. All-in-all, good job on the officer's (?) part.

Again, just my opinion, but (in this specific type of scenario) no warnings or leaving cover; just shoot when the opportunity is presented. These individuals came to die, not to be arrested.

A quote from John Steinbeck - “If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.” There was nothing "fair" about this situation. People bent on doing evil will never be fair. They should be treated the same.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hard to second guess that situation. I can only imagine he didn't execute the guy in an attempt to get away quicker and alert other folks nearby

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    A quote from John Steinbeck - “If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.” There was nothing "fair" about this situation. People bent on doing evil will never be fair. They should be treated the same.
    110% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Hard to second guess that situation. I can only imagine he didn't execute the guy in an attempt to get away quicker and alert other folks nearby
    Yes there is no way to know for the time being what exactly happened but one way or another based on this it seems like he limited the damage a whole lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And for the record I take this shit personally. The other bombing they had...I was less than a few hundred meters from the blast site.

This one...I would have been right in the middle of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't view the video. Do you have to have a twitter account? Can anyone post the video so that all can see it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    I can't view the video. Do you have to have a twitter account? Can anyone post the video so that all can see it?
    Click the button that says 'view content'. It's on the center left.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find that the whole freeze, put the gun down thing is a PC thing. Lawyers and arm chair quarterbacks here. For the most part, seems like the Police in some countries care more about taking care of business.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing I can say is he brought a gun to a bomb fight. Too Soon?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Army203 View Post
    The only thing I can say is he brought a gun to a bomb fight. Too Soon?
    Never too soon with us!

The norm soon will be PD walking around soft targets with rifles slung. Hopefully they qualify more than once a year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I find that the whole freeze, put the gun down thing is a PC thing. Lawyers and arm chair quarterbacks here. For the most part, seems like the Police in some countries care more about taking care of business.
    Interesting comment (not that I'm disagreeing with you). I'm curious if you also find value in it at times, though? The last time I had to do Use of Force training at work (it was geared to LE action and not military action), we still had to try and establish the "dominant position," and obviously the scenarios would evolve from there. With the recent attention on LE shootings (some attention warranted, a lot of others probably good to go for anyone based in reality), I can see the benefit of making that initial assessment/"dominant position" action.

But....it was a few years ago when I did it (2008), so that's why I ask on how things are now in the real world, post-Baltimore/San Bernadino/Orlando/etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not even from a police stand point... from a concealed carry standpoint this guy has the right idea. Ambush the bastard.

The only problem here is like you said---lawyers. But if someone is clearly a threat to the public....then why wait? Why mess around with it?

The tactic of surprise here seems to have saved some lives.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Interesting comment (not that I'm disagreeing with you). I'm curious if you also find value in it at times, though? The last time I had to do Use of Force training at work (it was geared to LE action and not military action), we still had to try and establish the "dominant position," and obviously the scenarios would evolve from there. With the recent attention on LE shootings (some attention warranted, a lot of others probably good to go for anyone based in reality), I can see the benefit of making that initial assessment/"dominant position" action.

But....it was a few years ago when I did it (2008), so that's why I ask on how things are now in the real world, post-Baltimore/San Bernadino/Orlando/etc.
    Of course there is value in giving verbal commands first. All depends on the situation, and we all know situations are fluid. If I was in plain clothes or off-duty verbal commands would be higher on my list. I don't want to get shot by friendly fire after I draw my gun.

Nowadays people, and when I say people, I mean arm chair commandos who know nothing about what you do, demand you give a person a chance to give up first.

If you see an imminent threat, you have to decide in a split second to whether you're just going to take out the threat, first give the guy a warning, and then act, or decide to reassess what you're seeing is what you're actually seeing.

I can't say I'm getting better at my job with age, but things have slowed down a lot. In that same time period, I'm also usually able to think about whether the department will back me up, other alternatives to the force I plan to use, and the aftermath. My thought about public perception are now creeping into that second... unfortunately.

Only 5-7 more years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course there is value in giving verbal commands first. All depends on the situation, and we all know situations are fluid. If I was in plain clothes or off-duty verbal commands would be higher on my list. I don't want to get shot by friendly fire after I draw my gun.

Nowadays people, and when I say people, I mean arm chair commandos who know nothing about what you do, demand you give a person a chance to give up first.

If you see an imminent threat, you have to decide in a split second to whether you're just going to take out the threat, first give the guy a warning, and then act, or decide to reassess what you're seeing is what you're actually seeing.

I can't say I'm getting better at my job with age, but things have slowed down a lot. In that same time period, I'm also usually able to think about whether the department will back me up, other alternatives to the force I plan to use, and the aftermath. My thought about public perception are now creeping into that second... unfortunately.

Only 5-7 more years.
    Bullshit,

First you need to keep giving verbal commands as you shoot the magazine out of his gun. Then while continuing to give verbal commands you side kick the gun out of his hand, and execute a perfect arm bar then cut the red wire to disarm the bomb. Duh.... I mean JLM ( Jihadist Live Matter).

See what I did there