Downloads
    Uploads

AAR: MDFI 2 Day Shoot House/Home Defense Class @ Alliance

Who: Pyzik
    What: MDFI 2 Day Shoot House/Home Defense Class
    When: June 25-26, 2016
    Where: Alliance Police Training, Alliance, OH
    Weather: HOT. 90°+ Sunny

My training background: Handgun 1&2, Carbine 1, YSINTG, Blade Def., Ground Def., NRA RSO

What I learned:
    Day 1:
    The first half of the first day was very slow instruction (which was GOOD). Trek and Brad were sure to explain all the additional safety precautions that come with shooting in a 360° environment. We watched the instructors do dry runs and did several dry runs ourselves before live runs.

The runs in the house started simple with entering a single room. From there it was two rooms, then learning hallways & intersections along with multiple rooms and working our way to low light in the house.
    The end of Day 1 was a low light force on no-force with a live opponent (using sim rounds). The entire house (save one room) was in play.
    Roll play was students received an emergency call from spouse that someone was in the house and then the call ended.
    Students came home to an open door and needed to enter the home to protect family. Trek used a different scenario for each student. Some where the students needed to use lethal force and some where the intruder complied and no lethal force was needed.
    Trek did a great job of pushing each student into a scenario where thinking and using judgment was required.

Day 2:
    The second day was team day. Utilizing all the skills learned from the previous day and learning how to do all these things with another student. This is the day I was most nervous about. Having another student with me in a 360° environment and shooting live.
    Turns out I was worried for nothing. Everyone was extremely safe and each day went without a hitch.
    Entering a room or clearing multiple rooms really is easier with another competent person.

What my next steps are: Next steps are simply more training. I’d like to take several other classes with MDFI, especially non-shooting classes. I’d also like to take a Sentinel Concepts class in the near future (vehicle CQB).
    I’d also like to try and get involved with other guys and do more dry force on force.

Any other comments/critiques: Take the shoothouse class in the fall or spring…. Not in the dead of summer. Haha. Seriously though, being my first time through I have a hard time finding something that I would critique. Really was a superb class.

Gear: M&P9, Sreamlight HL-1, Infinity light bearing holster, T-Rex Arms SideCar holster, Alpha Concealment Mag Carriers, Streamlight ProTac, Condor Sentry Lightweight Plate Carrier, Semper Fi AR500 Shooter’s Cut Plates, Oakley Eye Pro, Howard Leight Ear Pro, Slip2000 CLP, Mixed Ammo.

No issues with any gear.

Gear changes after class: I would love to get lighter plates at some point. Also a more comfortable carrier but both are low priority. I would also like to get a brighter EDC light, but honestly the ProTac worked very well.

Alliance by Damage Photos, on Flickr

At MDFI Shoothouse by Damage Photos, on Flickr
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is some good training going on in the midwest/east coast.

If my family in Ohio had a safe, I'd keep a kit there to attend classes. Nice AAR Dave!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    There is some good training going on in the midwest/east coast.

If my family in Ohio had a safe, I'd keep a kit there to attend classes. Nice AAR Dave!
    Some great classes.

I look forward to my next class there. Won't be for a while but will be back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen these courses offered by the Buckeye Firearm Association before and hope to get the car class in this fall. Looks like a great experience, minus the swampass weather!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to train with Kyle Defoor sometime.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For shoot-house classes like this, is a plate carrier required? I understand from a risk management point of view, it makes sense, but just curious from a class requirement stand point.

I want to train with Kyle Defoor sometime.
    Meh. I was disappointed, but I'm sure the internet will reign down upon me now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    For shoot-house classes like this, is a plate carrier required? I understand from a risk management point of view, it makes sense, but just curious from a class requirement stand point.

Ha... I don't think he's God by any means, so I'll be ok if I die and don't take his class. From what I've seen, I feel like I could learn from him... but I also respect your opinion. You only get so many training days and so many rounds down range, so I want to be selective about who I take instruction from.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

Yes, level 3 or higher plates required. Ballistic helmet required it shooting a rifle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha... I don't think he's God by any means, so I'll be ok if I die and don't take his class. From what I've seen, I feel like I could learn from him... but I also respect your opinion. You only get so many training days and so many rounds down range, so I want to be selective about who I take instruction from.
    I genuinely thought the same thing. My only solace is that maybe his other classes/disciplines have a more refined amount of instruction. For now, I'll try Pat Mac next this fall (albeit in another discipline), but like you said, there's only so much time (and money) to train.