Downloads
    Uploads

Well I learned something new... Cleaning Baffles...

I got my 9mm can and the thing has been stuck on the end of my pistol since day 1. I am totally digging it in a big way.

Anyway when I broke the can down to clean the baffles...OMG it was a royal pain in the ass to clean off that baked on carbon. I basically had to get a wire brush and get it off as best as I could. I soaked them and got some of it off that way.... but still... a slight pain in the ass. I even put them in my brass tumbler for hours... no results.

Then I remembered that I had a bunch of SEAL 1 (almost like froglube) and I soaked the baffles in that stuff and got em nice and coated and let them sit... Then I got them warm with a hair dryer and did it again like 3 or 4 times... and so on and so forth until they were treated with it.

I then went and shot a few hundred rounds and broke the suppressor down to see what I would find. First off the carbon was liquified. I wiped off the baffles with a rag and they were shiny and almost like new. Not bad results at all.

All I know is it worked. I guess that's going to be my go to baffle treating regiment until I can think of or find something better.

Just thought I would pass that along...

FYI I used the liquid Seal 1 not the paste but I am sure both would be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always coat my 9mm and .22 baffles. I use a thin layer of either froglube paste or usually dielectric grease (autozone or parts store). The owner of Innovative Arms turned me on to it. Doesn't break down with heat. Apply a THIN coat with a gloved finger or qtip (I worry about residual lead) and any carbon and other deposits will wipe off along with keeping the can from locking up. I put it on the piston and spring also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder how an ultrasonic cleaner would work, not only on loose baffles, but also sealed .22 cans.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I wonder how an ultrasonic cleaner would work, not only on loose baffles, but also sealed .22 cans.
    I don't know. I've never tried one. But I did learn that if you run the baffles fully dry when you shoot like I did... they are a pain in the ass to clean. All that dry carbon gets baked on and just sticks to everything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I always coat my 9mm and .22 baffles. I use a thin layer of either froglube paste or usually dielectric grease (autozone or parts store). The owner of Innovative Arms turned me on to it. Doesn't break down with heat. Apply a THIN coat with a gloved finger or qtip (I worry about residual lead) and any carbon and other deposits will wipe off along with keeping the can from locking up. I put it on the piston and spring also.
    What a great simple solution. Do you also lube the O rings with the dielectric? I've been using Aeroshell, but that's kinda costly stuff.

I banished common Qtips because of the shedding. Can't remember the brand of long stick no-shed now using. RamRodz are great also, though not cheap.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    The long stick ones can usually be found at a pharmacy. They don't shed so as not to leave debris on a wound during care.

I do put a thin coat on the O Ring just to keep it from drying out.

I imagine an ultrasonic cleaner would play hell on anodizing (sealed pistol can for example). Just a guess but I'm sure someone has done it before. Consult Google before you try it and see if someone else has taken that leap of faith first

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    What a great simple solution. Do you also lube the O rings with the dielectric? I've been using Aeroshell, but that's kinda costly stuff.

I banished common Qtips because of the shedding. Can't remember the brand of long stick no-shed now using. RamRodz are great also, though not cheap.
    Did you klnow you can get aeroshell for $14 a cartridge on Amazon? It's costly in those little 10 cc syringes people sell, but when you go to the source, its not so bad.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Elite Iron includes Froglube with every suppressor they sell. It works for certain. I pretreat all my cans now and every 3-4 times I use them I run them through the ultrasonic cleaner. From what can be seen the internals appear to be almost spotless after the cleaning. And judging by the cleaner in the ultrasonic tank 99% is removed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I imagine an ultrasonic cleaner would play hell on anodizing (sealed pistol can for example). Just a guess but I'm sure someone has done it before. Consult Google before you try it and see if someone else has taken that leap of faith first
    A good read from silencer shop on what not to do. http://blog.silencershop.com/sonic-c...s-suppressors/