Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It used to be (might still be) that something like 80% of the hammer forged barrels purchased and used as OEM came from Ruger. LWRC used Ruger barrels for years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spike's had their CHF barrel line that came from FN.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If it's a million bucks for just an initial cost outlay not including labor or raw materials... they would have to make a whole lot of barrels to turn a profit...

Now I am kind of curious as to the comparative non CHF types of barrels...what would the general outlay for tooling up for those be?
    A lot of these hammer forges are close to, or over a hundred years old. Many are bought in Europe and supported by tool makers as the parts supply died decades ago. Those are the cheapest the machines can be had, and are adapted for barrel making and operated by people. The new CNC axial cold hammer forging machines come with a host of automation accessories like hydraulic arm bots that eliminate the human, cutting down on cost and injury exposure. The argument goes back and forth over CHF vs. button rifled barrels, but it comes down to QC and not cutting corners through the entire process.

Timepiece > Toaster, but both have the capacity to be either.

Question for the knowledgeable: The term "Criterion" is known to audiophiles to be of original recording quality. Criterion albums (Now DVD's) often use gold as the recording medium as its better than the mylar typical CD's are burned on. Does the term have the same application to the firearms community, or is it just a name for a manufacturer?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Closer to $1,000,000 is what I've heard..
    I'm gonna guess that the latest, top of the line CNC stuff is hitting 40+ Mil. That's why there's so few of them and most are old as the hills!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Makes me wonder how much stuff out there advertised as "built to our exacting standards" is made by someone else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I wonder what their criteria for the 15000 round barrel life is. Accuracy, or something else?
    I'd like to know too. And what comprises normal use?

As I said in my original post; I like Ballistic Advantage. They have a very good selection of lengths and profiles and offer both stainless and CMV barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I'm gonna guess that the latest, top of the line CNC stuff is hitting 40+ Mil. That's why there's so few of them and most are old as the hills!
    Not even. The giant CNC machines the Air Force uses, and are big enough to park a car in, are in the 2'ish million range. Most are not THAT big or THAT expensive.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    It used to be (might still be) that something like 80% of the hammer forged barrels purchased and used as OEM came from Ruger. LWRC used Ruger barrels for years.
    Sure do. Overpriced garbage.

CHF barrels are without question more durable than nitrided.

And all the "nitriding" talk brings up a big pet peeve of mine. Speaking of nitriding as a simple, singular process in comparison is impossible. The type of nitriding used dictates its durability and lubrosity. The differences between the types can vary as much as different types of coatings. Like saying house paint is equal to Cerakote because by definition the are both a type of paint.

As far as BA barrels go they have proven to be a nice budget barrel to me. Although their QC for the in house machine work seems to have some issues. Last purchase from them was for 2 Creedmoor barrels and I decided to save some time and have them pin the gas blocks. Bad idea as both blocks were pinned off axis by 10-12*.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who is Ballistic Advantage getting blanks from?

Downloads
    Uploads
    New barrel received and installed. Shaved 6.4 ounces off the rifle. Nice!

I did the 10yd zero and there were no surprises. Now to get it on paper at longer range...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Makes me wonder how much stuff out there advertised as "built to our exacting standards" is made by someone else.
    Virtually everyone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Virtually everyone.
    So next logical question would be what makes a Wilson better than a Noveske or a BCM better than a Colt? Probably lots of brand loyalty to a company that just assembles parts that all come from a handful of suppliers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot 18 rounds through the BA barrel this morning to get it dialed in. I used some Federal Fusion, Federal 69gr Gold Medal and IMI 77gr ammo for sight in.

Here is an overall view of my target. I fired three rounds from a slung/seated position at 50yds to confirm my 10yd zero then moved back to 100 yards. I'm using an Aimpoint with a 2moa dot.

After this I moved back to 100 yards and shot prone with a rolled up shooting pad for a rest.

Here is five rounds of Federal Fusion with a fired casing set alongside for reference:

I then fired five rounds of the 69gr Match. Again, with a casing set next to the group for an overall size reference.

Then I finished off the short range session with 77gr Israeli. This stuff seemed to shoot the best which probably isn't too big a surprise.

I could have no doubt turned in some more impressive groups shooting from a solid shooting bench and with a magnified optic. A target more conducive to precision would have likely also helped. Still, I'm pleased with what I'm seeing from the gun, optic and ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which barrel was that? That's very good performance given the target and optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Which barrel was that? That's very good performance given the target and optic.
    I agree 110%. Given the optic and target and style and all that...damn. Pretty good no matter how you slice it.

Impressive for sure.

My only other comment would be 'what's the purpose of the rifle'? If it's a minute of man shooter you're after then you got that more than covered. You will have a wide variety of ammo that you can easily use if that's what your end goal is.