Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mockingjay AR Pistol

I'm working on a pistol build around the Hunger Games Mockingjay theme. This will be a slow build as I figure out each component that I think represents Katniss Everdeen's skill and the Mockingjay's symbolism (I've read the books but not yet viewed all the movies).

Build so far:
    CMT SSA lower: Mockingjay laser engraved by CMT
    Phase 5 hex pistol tube
    Law Tactical folder

(Yes, I need to disassemble to install takedown pin... Oversight for the evening).

I repurposed the PWS ratching end plate / castle nut combo from their buffer tube set to use here. Overall my thoughts on that innovation is that it's gimmicky. I prefer a traditional approach after installing this one. But I'll leave it for now.

I'm unsure what finished barrel length or caliber will be. 10.3" 556? 9" or shorter 300Blk? I may let the right handguard dictate the barrel length and caliber. The mission is two-fold:

1) a PDW that can cross state lines and fit in a discreet pack.

2) a morale boomstick that reminds that Panem does not have the last word.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you're gonna suppress it why .300?

Also I am curious as to how the buffer system works with a side folder like that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Unless you're gonna suppress it why .300?

Also I am curious as to how the buffer system works with a side folder like that?
    The folding stock is not for shooting if that's what you're wondering.

Adds length when you shoot it, folding it provides no benefit for me personally. Seems like a lot of coin for a gimmick. Not that I'm saying I've never paid through the nose for a minimal gain in my gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    The folding stock is not for shooting if that's what you're wondering.

Adds length when you shoot it, folding it provides no benefit for me personally. Seems like a lot of coin for a gimmick. Not that I'm saying I've never paid through the nose for a minimal gain in my gun.
    Give me an AK folder and I will give you a big giant grin on my face

I was just wondering how the bolt, buffer, spring, etc is all retained and function in that set up. It does seem sort of gimmicky but hey, it's not my money.

It just seems that the extra length added between the end of the reciever and the castle nut would need some engineering to make it work right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The folder comes with a spacer that slides into the rear of the bolt carrier, held snugly with o-rings. Cycles like normal when locked into position. Will fire single shot when folded.

I do appreciate the added length of pull with the folder. It's really generous with an A5. I've not yet seen a decision that says you can't shoulder a buffer tube that lacks a brace... (Please enlighten me if one exists).

I've had this folder since the gen 3m came out. I've installed it and uninstalled it repeatedly, trying to find a purpose for it. It's heavy but well built. I've had no niche purpose for it until now.

HOWEVER, my small discreet pack is too small for a non-folder. And the pockets in the pack fit Pmags perfectly, as if made for them. A suitable traveling /daypack / backcountry / camping setup. I could disassemble it for similar transport but that would require added features to secure the two parts in the bag. Together, it remains a unit ready to deploy.

As for 300blk, it is made for short barrels. It burns its powder within 9". Less concussion /fireballs verses comparable 556. Plus, I can suppress it. The discreet bag has a pouch that will fit that too. I already have multiple 556 and 300 builds so I'm not adding a new caliber with the decision. I've not used a 556 barrel shorter than 10".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty slick
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not going to "run right out" ... but I like it. Nicely done !
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, gentlemen. Not sure what the next step will be but I'll update here, gimmicks and all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What discreet pack are you using?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads

Mockingjay AR Pistol

Camelbak HAWG NV. Older civilian style.
    Last edited by fledge; 16 July 2016 at 20:50.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Camelbak HAWG NV. Older civilian style.
    i think thats begging for a noveske diplomat with kx5 and NQR-9 or NHR-9

http://www.rogtac.com/noveske-gen-ii...-upper-5-56mm/ similar to that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That does look sharp. However, the goal will be to shoot suppressed and unsuppressed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool!
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    How does this look with your bootleg upper? My engraver just called me and turns out that my Rainier lower lower, the one advertised (or at least shown) on their website as having a blank left side, turns out it has a mountain logo there and can't be engraved.

So.... I'm gonna have to see if I can actually even GET a RA lower without branding on both sides of the mag well, and failing that... I'm now looking at a CMT to engrave and pair with my bootleg upper.

Be super helpful if RA would answer their phones.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads

Mockingjay AR Pistol

That's a bummer.

I can get you pics when I get back in town this coming week.

I also caught a pic on SMOS IG account of a bootleg lower...